Thread: Yankees Officially Eliminated From The Post-Season

All League

Yankees Officially Eliminated From The Post-Season

Well, after 13 seasons the Yankees are finally denied a ticket to October baseball.

Strange, as a fan I knew they were done, but with it being officially over, it hit me tonight.

I was 20 years old when the Yankees made the playoffs in 1995...

It is an incredible run, and an amazing accomplishment, one that should not be diminished simply because of the outcome of this season.

With the closing of Yankee Stadium on top of missing the playoffs, I guess I am a little reflective tonight.

I have watched, without a doubt, some of the most memorable baseball the span of those years, a lot of great memories.

I think I was the right age for the World Series wins, old enough to be at the bar with my friends yet young enough to stay up late after the game was over.

My life wasn't as busy then as it is now, and somehow, that really meant I could enjoy every at bat, every game.

I was in the stands for David Wells' perfect game, David Justice's home-run against the Mariners, Roger Clemens' 300th win, the ALDS clincher in 2001, 1998 WS game 1, and countless other really precious sports memories.

I lived in Boston during the 2003 ALCS, and reviled in the misery of the beantown Aaron Boone hangover.

I was always cognizant that the run could end at any time, that I should appreciate each post-season appearance fully, because you never know when it could be the last.

I always laugh at people who would complain, "The Yanks haven't won a World Series in _____ years." I mean, of course I was disappointed whenever the Yankees were eliminated, and 2004 was probably the hardest thing I ever had to watch as a Yankee fan, but the idea that being a fan of a team that won 4 World Series and 6 AL Pennants since 1996 awarded me any leeway with anyone to sulk a Yankee defeat is ludicrous.

To me, this is the real test...do the Yankees bounce back..can they pick it up next season?

Because it seems that my fellow Yankee fans don't seem to have any idea what it means to miss October baseball for a string of years...they don't know what other teams' fans know, that the getting to the playoffs is not an easy thing to do, and isn't a yearly guarantee.

Banned
    2001 and 2004 defiantly hurt more than 2008.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    funny, at the time 2001 hurt, although not as much as it should have, and now, I think I remember that World Series the most fondly of them all...

I guess the craziness of 9/11 and the ninth inning heroics....

for me, baseball saved my soul that post-season...how ever contrived it sounds, the Yankess saved my soul...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Throw in 2003 and that's the way I feel as well.

Practice Squad
    Just like I predicted in the Predictions Thread before the season started.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat21 View Post
    Just like I predicted in the Predictions Thread before the season started.
    The Law of Inevitability.

Say something often enough and eventually it will come true.

Bet you're a big fan of Halley's Comet.

Hall Of Fame
    2008 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2004