Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intelligence and who you support for President

Intelligence and who you support for President

[QUOTE]Whites without college degrees favor McCain by 17 points, while those with college degrees support Obama by 9 points. No Democrat has carried white, college-educated voters in presidential elections dating back to 1980, but they were a key part of Obama's coalition in the primaries. [/QUOTE]
    [URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/23/AR2008092303667.html?nav=hcmodule"]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/23/AR2008092303667.html?nav=hcmodule[/URL]
    At the risk of being extremely politically incorrect these are the facts. Also not to insult any individual McCain supporter but can anyone give a reason for this statistic?

Given the assumption that in [I]general[/I] those with college degrees are more likely to be more intelligent and better informed, can this be the reason why McCain is running his campaign in such an anti-intellectual manner and run ads that play games with the truth? Are those without college educations more likely to have racist positions and thus unable to vote for a black candidate? How does the Palin nomination fit into this trend?

Interesting questions I believe.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2770220][URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/23/AR2008092303667.html?nav=hcmodule"]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/23/AR2008092303667.html?nav=hcmodule[/URL]
    At the risk of being extremely politically incorrect these are the facts. Also not to insult any individual McCain supporter but can anyone give a reason for this statistic?

Given the assumption that in [I]general[/I] those with college degrees are more likely to be more intelligent and better informed, can this be the reason why McCain is running his campaign in such an anti-intellectual manner and run ads that play games with the truth? Are those without college educations more likely to have racist positions and thus unable to vote for a black candidate? How does the Palin nomination fit into this trend?

Interesting questions I believe.[/QUOTE]

Liberal bias in our higher education system.

All League
    You can spin numbers like these any way you want. It could just as well be the case that a candidate supported by people with college degrees is perceived as better reflecting the interests of white collar workers and a candidate favored by those without degrees is perceived as better reflecting blue collar interests.

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2770243]Liberal bias in our higher education system.[/QUOTE]

I'm in college right now.

You're a stupid bastard if you believe college professors are brainwashing students.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2770220Given the assumption that in [I]general[/I] those with college degrees are more likely to be more intelligent and better informed, [/QUOTE]

Faulty assumption, period

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=MachineGunFunk;2770253]I'm in college right now.

You're a stupid bastard if you believe college professors are brainwashing students.[/QUOTE]

You may not be aware of it because it can be very subtle.

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2770249]You can spin numbers like these any way you want. It could just as well be the case that a candidate supported by people with college degrees is perceived as better reflecting the interests of white collar workers and a candidate favored by those without degrees is perceived as better reflecting blue collar interests.[/QUOTE]
    We all know that McCain wants to keep the Bush tax cuts on those earning over 250K while Obama wants to eliminate them.

Well if what you say is true then the poll #'s should be opposite. It seems that both groups are voting against their tax interests.

[QUOTE=quantum;2770295]You may not be aware of it because it can be very subtle.[/QUOTE]

This is hysterical.

When was the last time you attended a college class?

Btw i've got one at 2:55 so I've gotta jet right now.

[QUOTE=Piper;2770284]Faulty assumption, period[/QUOTE]
    So you would say that in general those that go to college are dumber and less informed then those that do not.

I would ask you to back up your theory but I doubt that you could.

I think it might be simple case of age, too.

Older people, more like to vote McCain, are less likely to have a degree, just because degrees have become more and more necessary as time has gone on.

Is this stat broken down by age?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Piper;2770284]Faulty assumption, period[/QUOTE]

Eh, not really. "In general" sums it up nicely.

Banned
    In conclusion, the dumb kids from your high school support McCain?

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;2770305]I think it might be simple case of age, too.

Older people, more like to vote McCain, are less likely to have a degree, just because degrees have become more and more necessary as time has gone on.

Is this stat broken down by age?[/QUOTE]
    No in this poll it's not broken down by age, and to me that would negate any charge of liberal bias in colleges since it's true of those who graduated a long time ago.

I have read in other polls that accross age groups those who went to college are more likely to be Obama supporters then those that didn't (although it's true that the %'s are less for older people).

Got to be some reason for that.

flushingjet
    [quote=MachineGunFunk;2770253]I'm in college right now.

You're a stupid bastard if you believe college professors are brainwashing students.[/quote]

Figures....

[URL]http://cbs4denver.com/local/palin.essay.denver.2.820285.html[/URL]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=MachineGunFunk;2770302]This is hysterical.

Btw i've got one at 2:55 so I've gotta jet right now.[/QUOTE]

1986. You can pick up almost any newspaper and find the same kind of stuff; you can miss it easily.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=MachineGunFunk;2770253]I'm in college right now.

You're a stupid bastard if you believe college professors are brainwashing students.[/QUOTE]
    Guess they already got to you.

[QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2770220]At the risk of being extremely politically incorrect these are the facts.

Given the assumption that in [I]general[/I] those with college degrees are more likely to be more intelligent and better informed...

Interesting questions I believe.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2770303]So you would say that in general those that go to college are dumber and less informed then those that do not.[/QUOTE]

Can you provide me some information, so I can better understand your theory?

What is the % of possible African American Voters WITH College Degrees? I'm curious, as I do not know it, but have heard it decried many times over the years for how low it is.

Therefore, based [B][U]directly[/U][/B] on your theory as you stated it above, these African American degree-less voters are therefore less "intelligent" and less "informed" voters.

And yet, these voters (as a block) are currently supporting Barrack Obama at something close to 80%+ from what i have heard (No link, sorry, Air america rarely gives links over the air).

Can you reconcile this seeming contradiction to your "less intelligent, less informed" theory?

Thanks.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2770320]No in this poll it's not broken down by age, and to me that would negate any charge of liberal bias in colleges since it's true of those who graduated a long time ago.

I have read in other polls that accross age groups those who went to college are more likely to be Obama supporters then those that didn't (although it's true that the %'s are less for older people).

Got to be some reason for that.[/QUOTE]

I'll argue that polls are like statistics - easily manipulated to give the answers you want.

And here, it appears to be this: [B]Smart people vote for Obama. If you didn't go to college, you can still appear to be smart if you vote for Obama. Come join our smart club; be one of us.[/B]

Again, a very subtle form of persuasion, but effective.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=MachineGunFunk;2770302]This is hysterical.

Btw i've got one at 2:55 so I've gotta jet right now.[/QUOTE]

I attended one today. I also made it to one yesterday where the professor spent 5 minutes gloating about how Obama's going to win the election because he's so much better on the economy. And this wasn't an econ class, this was a poli sci class.

In fact I can count the number of conservative teachers I've had in college on one hand. 0

Why were results presented for "Whites" without college degrees?

What about blacks, hispanics, etc.