Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Intelligence and who you support for President

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsVault03;2770506]Bull ****. Times a thousand. Well at least not at Cornell, the ass end of the Ivys, and regarded as the easiest to get in and hardest to get out. [/QUOTE]

i've heard the same thing about Cornell. The education you get there is better than most places, take solice in that.

The original statement was "the hardest part about Harvard is getting in"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2770243]Liberal bias in our higher education system.[/QUOTE]

Are conservatives being denied jobs at Universities???
    Why arent more conservatves applying for academic positions at universities??? Could the salary have anything to do with it??

Are you telling me my organic chemistry and physics professors were really teaching me liberal mantra and not the science that they were supposed to?? Oh right, i forgot conservatives dont believe in science:D

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2770303]So you would say that in general those that go to college are dumber and less informed then those that do not.

I would ask you to back up your theory but I doubt that you could.[/QUOTE]

No. I would say there not necessarily a correlation.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2770542]Are conservatives being denied jobs at Universities???
    Why arent more conservatves applying for academic positions at universities??? Could the salary have anything to do with it??

Are you telling me my organic chemistry and physics professors were really teaching me liberal mantra and not the science that they were supposed to?? Oh right, i forgot conservatives dont believe in science:D[/QUOTE]

Those that can, do.

Those that can't, teach.

Those that can't teach, administrate.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2770220][URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/23/AR2008092303667.html?nav=hcmodule"]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/23/AR2008092303667.html?nav=hcmodule[/URL]
    At the risk of being extremely politically incorrect these are the facts. Also not to insult any individual McCain supporter but can anyone give a reason for this statistic?

Given the assumption that in [I]general[/I] those with college degrees are more likely to be more intelligent and better informed, can this be the reason why McCain is running his campaign in such an anti-intellectual manner and run ads that play games with the truth? Are those without college educations more likely to have racist positions and thus unable to vote for a black candidate? How does the Palin nomination fit into this trend?

Interesting questions I believe.[/QUOTE]

If you read the article the movement has happened primarily because of the financial crisis. Reality is that most college educated people with decent jobs are invested in the markets through 401K's, Seps, IRA's, Health Savings, etc. Most of these investors are passive mutual fund investors who don't have a clue about what's going on but they do have self interest.

The sub prime crisis was caused by the Democrats and it's the democrats who are going to bail them out although not before pontificating us to death on how big business should be punished and buying off Republican support for a bipartisan bill to give them cover.

Most college educated idiots who are invested in stuff think that their stock investments like their house should only go up in value and that risk can be mitgated with regulation. It can be but it will be at the expense of gains over the rate of inflation on their savings. They are looking for a bailout now to stop the bleeding. Obama, Dodd, Frank, Schmuer and the rest of the crooks who set up the sub prime mortage mess in the first place are the most likely to stop the immediate bleeding and take credit for saving us from them. That's called self interest.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2770412]thread title is misleading

a college degree is not an indicator of intelligence

it's an indicator of being able to put up with 4 years of bulls--t.[/QUOTE]

I KNEW you and I could agree on something!;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok people we are getting a bit sidetracked here. Yes, we know Cornell is very hard (my daughter went there and she would fully back you up JetsVault), and I remember from my days way back at Queens College that organic chemistry was not fun, and that we science students had to go to class while the liberal arts students were rioting and staging sit ins in the Administration building.

However this is a thread about why white college educated people are more likely to vote for Obama. Any theories?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;2770555]Those that can, do.

Those that can't, teach.

Those that can't teach, administrate.[/QUOTE]

No, this is not true. Its just a laughably naive cliche overused by childish individuals who have no idea about the challenges and difficulties faced in academics.
    In my field , when a doc has a challengig case that he cant handle in the private sector, he refers them to those who teach.
    Some people find the challenges offered by academics far more rewarding than any paycheck could

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;2770550]No. I would say there not necessarily a correlation.[/QUOTE]

Of course not necessarily, hence "in general." Would you really argue in general that it's not true?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2770561]Ok people we are getting a bit sidetracked here. Yes, we know Cornell is very hard (my daughter went there and she would fully back you up JetsVault), and I remember from my days way back at Queens College that organic chemistry was not fun, and that we science students had to go to class while the liberal arts students were rioting and staging sit ins in the Administration building.

However this is a thread about why white college educated people are more likely to vote for Obama. Any theories?[/QUOTE]

Because they are age-biased (or degree biased) and easily hoodwinked by candidates preaching "change" in spite of never having changed anything.
    -or-
    People working for a living have more appreciation for the value of a dollar than pampered college students. (as long as we are starting with ridiculous assumptions).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2770561]Ok people we are getting a bit sidetracked here. Yes, we know Cornell is very hard (my daughter went there and she would fully back you up JetsVault), and I remember from my days way back at Queens College that organic chemistry was not fun, and that we science students had to go to class while the liberal arts students were rioting and staging sit ins in the Administration building.

However this is a thread about why white college educated people are more likely to vote for Obama. Any theories?[/QUOTE]

Liberal guilt?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2770569]No, this is not true. Its just a laughably naive cliche overused by childish individuals who have no idea about the challenges and difficulties faced in academics.
    In my field , when a doc has a challengig case that he cant handle in the private sector, he refers them to those who teach.
    Some people find the challenges offered by academics far more rewarding than any paycheck could[/QUOTE]

While cliched, it is very true. At least for people who ONLY teach.

I doubt doc's with challenging cases often consult someone in academia who hasn't seen a patient ever, as is often the case with college professors.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;2770581]Because they are age-biased (or degree biased) and easily hoodwinked by candidates preaching "change" in spite of never having changed anything.
    -or-
    People working for a living have more appreciation for the value of a dollar than pampered college students. (as long as we are starting with ridiculous assumptions).[/QUOTE]
    Well this has nothing to do with age so then my question to you is what about a college degree whould make one easily hoodwinked?

Are you really arguing that college educated workers don't work for a living where they could appreciate the value of a dollar?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MachineGunFunk;2770253]I'm in college right now.

You're a stupid bastard if you believe college professors are brainwashing students.[/QUOTE]

Did your professor tell you to post that?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2770598]Well this has nothing to do with age so then my question to you is what about a college degree whould make one easily hoodwinked?

Are you really arguing that college educated workers don't work for a living where they could appreciate the value of a dollar?[/QUOTE]

I would say that non-college educated workers [I]generally [/I]work harder

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;2770603]I would say that non-college educated workers [I]generally [/I]work harder[/QUOTE]

and college-educated workers are [i]generally[/i] more intelligent, so it's a wash.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2770518]I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering, and, I can assure you, the laws of physics are the same, regardless of which school you attend. The most useful and practical knowledge can only be gained through experience.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, now this I can most assuredly can agree with you on. I'm just making the point, that it's not like everyone who goes to an Ivy is a minority, or got in because of legacy, or is rich, or never does work (there are plenty, however). I'm just your typical broke, white, male getting destroyed by my Asian counter-parts. But yeah, does engineering get better after all these BS classes? I joined a project team, so hopefully I'll actually do something fun for once.

Are the laws of Physics different for the Messiah? I wonder...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ciaran;2770607]and college-educated workers are [i]generally[/i] more intelligent, so it's a wash.[/QUOTE]

I disagree.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;2770603]I would say that non-college educated workers [I]generally [/I]work harder[/QUOTE]

Yes, we hear that about illegals all the time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I would strenuously challenge that statement.