Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: McCain returning to Washington to work on economic crisis..(merged)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

McCain returning to Washington to work on economic crisis..(merged)

suspends campaign asks for a delay in Friday's debate...

the responses to this should be fun....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2770464]suspends campaign asks for a delay in Friday's debate...

the responses to this should be fun....[/QUOTE]

Obama campaign statement:

[QUOTE]At 8:30 this morning, Senator Obama called Senator McCain to ask him if he would join in issuing a joint statement outlining their shared principles and conditions for the Treasury proposal and urging Congress and the White House to act in a bipartisan manner to pass such a proposal. At 2:30 this afternoon, Senator McCain returned Senator Obama’s call and agreed to join him in issuing such a statement. The two campaigns are currently working together on the details.
    [/QUOTE]

Looks like this suspension will probably happen.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    if Obama keeps campaigning does he appear to not be sensative to the issues or to doing his job?

if he stops campaigning does he appear to be spineless and do whatever Mccain does?

this is a very interesting move - a gamble as it were - I can't wait to see what the Obama campaign does (or doesn't do) in reply

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a bad political gambit by McCain.

He's having a bad week on the trail and this basically is like calling a "timeout" to stop the other guy's momentum.

Plus, the foreign policy debate was going to be stepped on by the economic crisis somewhat, and, provided it gets rescheduled, he can now move it to a period when that might not happen.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mean it's nice that he's going to do this, but this ruins my weekend.

I need Friday night to get wasted and just vent after this hellish week, so I made a game that my best friend and I were going to play. We were going to watch the debate, and every single time someone says the word "change" we would take a shot. I would when McCain says it (who I support), and she would when Obama does (who she supports).

Way for the damn Republicans to take the fun out of life again.

Sorry for the OT rant, but in all seriousness, if anyone actually has a problem with a legislator going to legislate, then this country is more messed up than I thought.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2770476]if Obama keeps campaigning does he appear to not be sensative to the issues or to doing his job?

if he stops campaigning does he appear to be spineless and do whatever Mccain does?

this is a very interesting move - a gamble as it were - I can't wait to see what the Obama campaign does (or doesn't do) in reply[/QUOTE]

The old dog's got a few tricks up his sleeve. He has sent the Obama camp scrambling right now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2770482]The old dog's got a few tricks up his sleeve. He has sent the Obama camp scrambling right now.[/QUOTE]

Palin sent them scrambling, too. And then the dust settled.

He's losing. He needs to stop Obama's momentum. He's trying to call time out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    These guys are both on the back burner right now with the financial crisis taking headlines away. It's amazing that less than 2 months before an election these guys are finding themselves essentially "below the fold" on a daily basis. Strange times indeed.

I think neither one of them want to get pushed in a debate to talk about this crisis during such a sensitive time in the crafting of this plan. It would be counterproductive to the process of resolving the problem right now and only politicize it more. Congress is debating this enough, we don't need one of these guys saying something during the debate that then puts either the Dems or Republicans in a situation where they need to support or go against what "their guy" said and it ends up affecting the best possible outcome.

I think it's in the best interest of the country for Congress and the administration to finalize something and pass it before we throw both of these guys into a debate where they may only be forced to politicize it further.

Smart move in my opinion....not for McCain, not for Obama...for our country.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2770515]Palin sent them scrambling, too. And then the dust settled.

He's losing. He needs to stop Obama's momentum. He's trying to call time out.[/QUOTE]

Got to hand it to McCain....great tactical move. Its obviously a smokescreen....after all, what could he possibily contribute? Its not like the McCain/Feingold legislation is about to be passed and they need his input in Committee.

But, he comes off looking like a concerned Patriot putting the country's future above the political process and puts his opponent on the defensive.

I'm not a fan of McCain, but I applaud the move - its genius. Very interested to see how Obama responds.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;2770534]Got to hand it to McCain....great tactical move. Its obviously a smokescreen....after all, what could he possibily contribute? Its not like the McCain/Feingold legislation is about to be passed and they need his input in Committee.

But, he comes off looking like a concerned Patriot putting the country's future above the political process and puts his opponent on the defensive.

I'm not a fan of McCain, but I applaud the move - its genius. Very interested to see how Obama responds.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's how he's hoping to look, certainly.

We'll see if it plays that way.

Board Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

OT: Mcain Wants to Cancel Friday's Debates

Saying he needs to focus on the economy......

Are you kidding me? From 9-10 on Friday night, he can't give an hour to debate Obama? You really think he's gonna be sitting there all day and night "to focus on the economy"?

Damn these guys are scared shiitless of Obama......

[url]http://drudgereport.com/flash1.htm[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vilma;2770620]Saying he needs to focus on the economy......

Are you kidding me? From 9-10 on Friday night, he can't give an hour to debate Obama? You really think he's gonna be sitting there all day and night "to focus on the economy"?

Damn these guys are scared shiitless of Obama......

[url]http://drudgereport.com/flash1.htm[/url][/QUOTE]

Its a cute little stunt to show the people "hes above politics". He is putting the wellfare of America ahead of his own campaign. What a noble man he is.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Weak.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2770654]Its a cute little stunt to show the people "hes above politics". He is putting the wellfare of America ahead of his own campaign. What a noble man he is.[/QUOTE]

Obama just said it's time to put politics aside and focus on a solution. :rolleyes:

I guess he's a liar, huh?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Obama won't cancel.

He can't remember where the Capitol is.

He has only been there a few times.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2770525]
    I think neither one of them want to get pushed in a debate to talk about this crisis during such a sensitive time in the crafting of this plan. It would be counterproductive to the process of resolving the problem right now and only politicize it more. Congress is debating this enough, we don't need one of these guys saying something during the debate that then puts either the Dems or Republicans in a situation where they need to support or go against what "their guy" said and it ends up affecting the best possible outcome.

Smart move in my opinion....not for McCain, not for Obama...for our country.[/QUOTE]

once again Mr. 23 you have firmly applied the hammer to the nail

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2770664]Obama just said it's time to put politics aside and focus on a solution. :rolleyes:

I guess he's a liar, huh?[/QUOTE]

McCain set a trap, albeit a very transparent one, but Obama realizes that some of America is dumb enough to fall for it.. especially since no doubt some media outlines will be crooning how he puts 'country first'..

i'm wondering if it were so crucial for McCain to get back to Washington and suspend his campaign, why is he waiting until tomorrow night to do so?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2770674]once again Mr. 23 you have firmly applied the hammer to the nail[/QUOTE]

Thank you, sir. Let me know if you see any more nails! :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    obama should just show up,sit in a chair and wait for mccain.checking his watch from time to time and not say a word.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2770664][B]Obama just said it's time to put politics aside and focus on a solution. :rolleyes:
    [/B]
    I guess he's a liar, huh?[/QUOTE]

That's about the most bull**** statement you can make. Even if you are genuinely trying to fix something, you have to play the game to get elected. When you get elected, you have to repay favors that got you elected, not piss off your contingency and get re-elected. At some point Congress usually switches partisanship and filibusters/porkbarrels/ blocks you from doing anything. The last part of your presidency you worry about your legacy and do everything to try to leave a positive impression.

Oversimplified? Of course, but how many can say that most of the stuff I said doesn't happen. Change can happen, but politics is a rigid sonofa*****.