Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: McCain returning to Washington to work on economic crisis..(merged)

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2770866]what's the difference??? you already set impossibly low expectations for hussien on friday and weren't expecting much...in essence conceded defeat before it began....this will give hussien more time to prepare....

[url]http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showthread.php?t=178534[/url][/QUOTE]

Read what I wrote:

I said that polls show people think McCain is better on foreign policy.

I don't think McCain is better on it, obviously. It just makes it easier for Obama to be seen as the winner.

Here's the post you referenced:

[QUOTE]
    Yeah, polls seem to say the general public regards McCain as superior on foreign policy questions, which means that a good performance by Obama will go a long way for him.

We may have the opposite dynamic in the economic/domestic debates later, but because the election seems to be fundamentally about whether Obama is ready, this might be a good chance for him to knock some people off the fence. One way or the other.[/QUOTE]

So is McCain going to take credit for getting this deal done by boarding a plane to Washington?
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 09-24-2008 at 06:17 PM.

Sorry McCain, but you can't learn economics in 1 day.
    Maybe talk to Ron Paul and you'll learn something on the subject

[url]http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/ole-miss-offici.html[/url]

[QUOTE]ABC News' Tahman Bradley Reports: A senior University of Mississippi official reacted Wednesday to the news that Sen. John McCain R-Ariz., wants to postpone Friday's presidential debate, saying that such a move would be "devastating" for the university which has already invested millions in preparation for the debate.[/QUOTE]

Here's the Atlantic Monthly's Marc Ambinder's take on the stunt:

[QUOTE]This is the time when politics matters the most, not the least.

When the philosophical differences that each party organizes around are put to the test of reality.

When conflict builds consensus, not by ignoring conflict.

When the public craves answers and debate from their politicians.

When the stakes of the presidential election could not be more acute.

Comparative advantage: the best thing the presidential candidates can do now is to practice their politics honestly, not to abandon politics altogether -- itself, of course, a political move.

Suspending your campaign basically says: all that over the past sixteen months? It wasn't important. Ignore what I said or did.

Too late.

[B]The tough thing here for McCain is that nobody in Washington asked him to come back; nobody seems to need him to come back; and that Democrats simply do not trust John McCain's motives.[/B][/QUOTE]

David Letterman, canceled on by McCain tonight:

[QUOTE]avid Letterman tells audience that McCain called him today to tell him he had to rush back to DC to deal with the economy.

Then in the middle of the taping Dave got word that McCain was, in fact just down the street being interviewed by Katie Couric. Dave even cut over to the live video of the interview, and said, "Hey Senator, can I give you a ride home?"

Earlier in the show, Dave kept saying, "You don't suspend your campaign. This doesn't smell right. This isn't the way a tested hero behaves." And he joked: "I think someone's putting something in his metamucil."

"He can't run the campaign because the economy is cratering? Fine, put in your second string quarterback, Sarah Palin. Where is she?"

"What are you going to do if you're elected and things get tough? Suspend being president? We've got a guy like that now!" [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by nuu faaola; 09-24-2008 at 06:37 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;2770476]if Obama keeps campaigning does he appear to not be sensative to the issues or to doing his job?

if he stops campaigning does he appear to be spineless and do whatever Mccain does?

this is a very interesting move - a gamble as it were - I can't wait to see what the Obama campaign does (or doesn't do) in reply[/QUOTE]

Obama's job is Senator from Illinois. Running for president is his choice. I don't see how any candidate can do both effectively. One has to suffer. I really think that any elected official who wants to run for another postion should resign their current one. How can either candidate do the job they were elected to do when they are out on the road campaigning?

[QUOTE=petejet;2771044]I really think that any elected official who wants to run for another postion should resign their current one.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely Pete.

Then again, I'm for term limits, no-consecutive-term rules, and more. Guess I wouldn't be popular with most politicians.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Warfish;2771062]I agree completely Pete.

Then again, I'm for term limits, no-consecutive-term rules, and more. Guess I wouldn't be popular with most politicians.[/QUOTE]

+1

Now McCain is looking to postpone the VP debate too -- with the press response he's getting on this stunt so far, this may indeed be the final blow to a very uneven campaign run by a very poor candidate. Just another rash decision -- just like George Will was talking about.

I guess McCain wants to use the first of his three charged timeouts!!

All League
    From another board:
    [IMG]http://images.dailykos.com/images/user/3/timeout.jpg[/IMG]

All League
    [QUOTE=fukushimajin;2771075]Now McCain is looking to postpone the VP debate too.[/QUOTE]

Link?

All Pro
    The guy hasn't voted in the Senate in 5 months. Now he suddenly has to go to Washington - IMMEDIATELY?

This seems more than a little desperate.

Veteran
    Ha this is a strong move by McCain no matter what happens.

If he goes into Congress and then all of sudden the deal gets done, good for him. Though honestly he'll have no effect whatsoever.

The important thing is that foreign policy is his strong point and the debate would be completely overwhelmed if held on Friday. So if the deal gets done, McCain enters the debate as the "conquering hero" who then gets to wax poetically about the need to *****slap Russia. If it doesn't and gets postponed, he'll have his moment later when it'll make more of a difference.

Yea, call it a time out. The only reason Obama has had a comeback is due to the economy, so I guess I wouldn't want this issue solved either. But really people, this actually matters. McCain and Obama don't have a clue and can't really do a thing until it's solved.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2770525]These guys are both on the back burner right now with the financial crisis taking headlines away. It's amazing that less than 2 months before an election these guys are finding themselves essentially "below the fold" on a daily basis. Strange times indeed.

I think neither one of them want to get pushed in a debate to talk about this crisis during such a sensitive time in the crafting of this plan. It would be counterproductive to the process of resolving the problem right now and only politicize it more. Congress is debating this enough, we don't need one of these guys saying something during the debate that then puts either the Dems or Republicans in a situation where they need to support or go against what "their guy" said and it ends up affecting the best possible outcome.

I think it's in the best interest of the country for Congress and the administration to finalize something and pass it before we throw both of these guys into a debate where they may only be forced to politicize it further.

Smart move in my opinion....not for McCain, not for Obama...for our country.[/QUOTE]

This can't be the Political forum...I feel smarter after reading your post.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;2770873]frank would know a thing or two about mary's....anyone still wondering why this guy is making decisions on this crisis???[/QUOTE]

Come on...Barney is all about the purse strings.

McCain cares about America, Obama doesn't care about anything but power and his ugly mug on TV!

[QUOTE=MnJetFan;2771420]McCain cares about America, Obama doesn't care about anything but power and his ugly mug on TV![/QUOTE]

Do you honestly believe what McCain did today was not a political move?

[QUOTE=MnJetFan;2771420]McCain cares about America, Obama doesn't care about anything but power and his ugly mug on TV![/QUOTE]

Now there's an intelligent, informed comment!