Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Racial/Ethnic voting

[QUOTE=Warfish;2770676]Why do I need to have thoughts?:huh:

My Big Government Liberal Friends like QJF will think for me. After all, they are generally more intelligent, and more informed, than I am.[/QUOTE]
    Am surprised at you Warfish. This was uncalled for. I never insinuated anything of the sort. You do appear to be quite sensitive about the matter.

Ok let's go at it. Do you really believe that "in general" those without a college education are smarter and better informed that those with? Was it such a stretch me making that assumption?

[QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2771873]Well stated. You can give my seal of approval anytime on this issue. Ethnic pride is not racism. Now if I said I hate the Irish and I'm not voting for McCain because he has Irish blood that would be.

Seriously this is an easy issue. It's all logical.[/QUOTE]

It's logical to vote for someone because they are of the same ethnicity?

[QUOTE=pauliec;2771892]It's logical to vote for someone because they are of the same ethnicity?[/QUOTE]
    Absolutely, it is logical for a minority who has never had a candidate run for President or VP in the entire history of the country to have pride when one of their own reaches that status and support them in numbers larger than normal.

It was logical when Catholics supported JFK, when Jews supported Lieberman, and now black supporting Obama.

Tim Russert tells the story of him coming home from school one day and seeing his dad put a JFK sticker on their house, something he never did before. Tim asked his Dad why, and he said because he's one of us.

Is Russert's Dad a bigot for saying that or he just had pride in one of his own reaching a stature in this country previously unthought of?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2771873]Well stated. You can give my seal of approval anytime on this issue. Ethnic pride is not racism. Now if I said I hate the Irish and I'm not voting for McCain because he has Irish blood that would be.

Seriously this is an easy issue. It's all logical.[/QUOTE]

That's complete BS and you know it. If a reporter asked me that and printed it, I'd be branded a racist. Minorities do it, and its "ethnic pride". Complete BS.

[QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2771883]Am surprised at you Warfish. This was uncalled for. I never insinuated anything of the sort. You do appear to be quite sensitive about the matter.

Ok let's go at it. Do you really believe that "in general" those without a college education are smarter and better informed that those with? Was it such a stretch me making that assumption?[/QUOTE]

I'm not a big fan of sterotypes usually.

I'm less of a fan of pure political bias "Smart People and people who want to be or think they are smart will vote for Obama" which, in a nutshell, was that argument. What, you think people wouldn't see right through that? I think you give us too little credit.

And why would I be sensative? After all, I too am college educated.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2771907]I'm not a big fan of sterotypes usually.

I'm less of a fan of pure political bias "Smart People and people who want to be or think they are smart will vote for Obama" which, in a nutshell, was that argument. What, you think people wouldn't see right through that? I think you give us too little credit.

And why would I be sensative? After all, I too am college educated.[/QUOTE]

Here's what you're missing. I never said that if you are smart you should be voting for Obama, or that if you are stupid you are a McCain supporter. That is not my argument at all so I don't know what there is to see through.

I just sited a poll that had a big difference in Presidential preference by whether the voter was college educated or not. I thought it was interesting and it would make a good thread to discuss the reasons for it.

You just extrapolated something that wasn't there and in this different thread you mention me twice for something I said in that thread - hence your sensitivity.

[QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2771903]Absolutely, it is logical for a minority who has never had a candidate run for President or VP in the entire history of the country to have pride when one of their own reaches that status and support them in numbers larger than normal.

It was logical when Catholics supported JFK, when Jews supported Lieberman, and now black supporting Obama.

Tim Russert tells the story of him coming home from school one day and seeing his dad put a JFK sticker on their house, something he never did before. Tim asked his Dad why, and he said because he's one of us.

Is Russert's Dad a bigot for saying that or he just had pride in one of his own reaching a stature in this country previously unthought of?[/QUOTE]

Not a bigot... just not very rational.

I mean, I didn't support Rudy just because he's Italian.

[QUOTE=quantum;2771904]That's complete BS and you know it. If a reporter asked me that and printed it, I'd be branded a racist. Minorities do it, and its "ethnic pride". Complete BS.[/QUOTE]
    It is totally not bs. Show me one quote anywhere where the media branded someone a racist for saying they would vote for a candidate of the same ethnic group - and don't give me a white person saying he is voting for McCain because he is white. When every President in our history has been white, you can't call that a matter of ethnic pride.

BTW a WASP saying that they would ONLY vote for a WASP is racism, just as a black or Jew who says that they would ONLY vote for the black or Jew is racism.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2771930]Not a bigot... just not very rational.

I mean, I didn't support Rudy just because he's Italian.[/QUOTE]
    Ok so if Russert's Dad was not a bigot then blacks supporting Obama now are not bigots either.

I agree that stuff is not always rational, but ethnic pride isn't alway either.

Also Paulie you can't compare 1960 to today. It truly was a big deal that JFK was Catholic. The fact that Biden is a Catholic is like an after thought today. Not even newsworthy, but who's to say that maybe deep down part of the appeal that Rudy had for you was that he is an Italian?

[QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;2771951]Ok so if Russert's Dad was not a bigot then blacks supporting Obama now are not bigots either.

I agree that stuff is not always rational, but ethnic pride isn't alway either.

Also Paulie you can't compare 1960 to today. It truly was a big deal that JFK was Catholic. The fact that Biden is a Catholic is like an after thought today. Not even newsworthy, but who's to say that maybe deep down part of the appeal that Rudy had for you was that he is an Italian?[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but certainly not enough to vote for him.