Thread: Phil Hughes nasty curve

Banned

Phil Hughes nasty curve

I know, I know...The Mets are amazing.. yadayadayad

but my boy Hughes look great tonight.

All Pro
    yo good news.damn freakin yankees go on a tear too late.i really want my man to do well next year.hopefully they can pitch him in boston this weekend so i can see him.

He did. Shows what he can do when he has both his curve and fastball working for him.

8 IP's, 5 hits, 2 ER's, 0 BB's, 6 K's on the night. Too bad he somewhat hung that curve in the 7th as he'd be in line for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    yo good news.damn freakin yankees go on a tear too late.i really want my man to do well next year.hopefully they can pitch him in boston this weekend so i can see him.
    Unless a game gets rained out and there has to be a game on Monday (which is pretty unlikely as the game would also have to be meaningful or else it would just get canceled), that's the last we have seen from Hughes on the year.

All Pro
    Very exciting start from Hughes tonight. I'm bummed I only caught the end of it. If this is indeed his last start of the season, then that's a hell of a way to head into next year.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Very exciting start from Hughes tonight. I'm bummed I only caught the end of it. If this is indeed his last start of the season, then that's a hell of a way to head into next year.
    Same here but did catch the 8th and the strikeouts recap in between the latest Met fiasco. Not the strongest line-up in the world to face in a couple of also rans playing out the schedule game, but still a much needed, very strong outing by Hughes. The hook was tight and filthy per the replays I saw.

Veteran
    He showed flashes last year...as a Yankee fan...im not getting too excited..YET

All Pro
    A good curve is rare nowadays. Seems like all these new kids have fastball/changeup/slider.

Banned
    Hughes has looked good the last two starts. I take back everything I've said about him. Ian kennedy still blows and has no future as a MLB starter.

Yankees should still bring back Moose and Pettite. That way next year there won't be too much pressure and Joba and Hughes like there was on Hughes and Kennedy this season. Will also limit the innings for Joba so he can continue to adjust to being a stud starting pitcher.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Hughes has looked good the last two starts. I take back everything I've said about him. Ian kennedy still blows and has no future as a MLB starter.

Yankees should still bring back Moose and Pettite. That way next year there won't be too much pressure and Joba and Hughes like there was on Hughes and Kennedy this season. Will also limit the innings for Joba so he can continue to adjust to being a stud starting pitcher.
    2 starts is all it takes for you to realize he's not garbage?

All League
    Very disappointed... I thought this thread was going to be about the Blackberry Curve.

I'm still not sold on Hughes as a top-of-the-rotation starter. I'm not saying that he can't progress to that point, but his margin of error seems to be lower than most front-end guys, making it hard to get by without all of his pitches working for him.

You really want to bring back Pettite? ( I would think the Yankees starting rotation would look like: (Insert top free agent pitcher, Wang, 2 year deal to Mussina, Joba, Huhes)

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Postseason View Post
    You really want to bring back Pettite? ( I would think the Yankees starting rotation would look like: (Insert top free agent pitcher, Wang, 2 year deal to Mussina, Joba, Huhes)
    absolutely bring back andy and moose...i'm sure they can get pettite at a lower price...

Rookie
    What's Hughes' era on the season now? JW

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Postseason View Post
    Why not? He's been bad second half of the season but that's probably because he's playing injured. He'll be coming back probably for 1 year at a lot less money.

If the Yankees go with a six-man rotation of Wang, Sabathia, Moose, Pettite, Joba and Hughes it will be easier on the old vets like Mike and Andy while giving Joba and Hughes an easier transition to a full season of being starting pitchers.

Or we can just make Joba the number 2 or 3 starter next season and have him tear his rotator cuff by May.

Banned
    Why not? He's been bad second half of the season but that's probably because he's playing injured. He'll be coming back probably for 1 year at a lot less money.

If the Yankees go with a six-man rotation of Wang, Sabathia, Moose, Pettite, Joba and Hughes it will be easier on the old vets like Mike and Andy while giving Joba and Hughes an easier transition to a full season of being starting pitchers.

Or we can just make Joba the number 2 or 3 starter next season and have him tear his rotator cuff by May.
    I think Aceves deserves a shot at a spot in the rotation. Small sample size but he was better than Ian or Hughes altough Phil has a much bigger upside
    Not sure Andy is worth another 16mill contract. Possibly he takes a paycut to come back.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chad101 View Post
    I think Aceves deserves a shot at a spot in the rotation. Small sample size but he was better than Ian or Hughes altough Phil has a much bigger upside
    Not sure Andy is worth another 16mill contract. Possibly he takes a paycut to come back.
    I'd bring back Andy for 8 or 9 mil next year. If he expects anything more after his performance this season he's crazy. No way he gets anything close to that from another team.

Moose is a must re-sign. He's about to win 20 games and with the adjustments he's made I thikn he can do this for a couple more years. Yankees need to bring him back, unless they think he looks better in a Red Sox uniform.

Banned
    I'd bring back Andy for 8 or 9 mil next year. If he expects anything more after his performance this season he's crazy. No way he gets anything close to that from another team.

Moose is a must re-sign. He's about to win 20 games and with the adjustments he's made I thikn he can do this for a couple more years. Yankees need to bring him back, unless they think he looks better in a Red Sox uniform.

Oh yeah. Moose is like Delgado. They have to be brought back and likely at multi years.