Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Neither of these candidates inspires me

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Neither of these candidates inspires me

We're in a serious financial crisis and neither of these candidates give me much hope. On one hand, you have McCain, who, it might appear, is rolling up his sleeves to get this problem solved and putting "Country First". Or, you may look at it as a political stunt or someone who is in a panic. I can't really tell yet. On the other hand, you have Obama, who appears to be cool as a cucumber, saying that a president should be able to do more than one thing at a time and that the American people need to hear their debate, now more then ever. But then he says he's talked to Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi (gee, that's comforting) and told them, something to the effect, " if you need me, I can be there". The possibility of inheriting a 700 billion dollar debt doesn't make him want to be there to make sure this problem is solved in the best manner possible?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2771983]We're in a serious financial crisis and neither of these candidates give me much hope. On one hand, you have McCain, who, it might appear, is rolling up his sleeves to get this problem solved and putting "Country First". Or, you may look at it as a political stunt or someone who is in a panic. I can't really tell yet. On the other hand, you have Obama, who appears to be cool as a cucumber, saying that a president should be able to do more than one thing at a time and that the American people need to hear their debate, now more then ever. But then he says he's talked to Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi (gee, that's comforting) and told them, something to the effect, " if you need me, I can be there". The possibility of inheriting a 700 billion dollar debt doesn't make him want to be there to make sure this problem is solved in the best manner possible?[/QUOTE]

Obama has said that him being there --along with the media circus that accompanies presidential candidates-- would make it more difficult for a deal to get done.

But, as the Democratic standard bearer, he has leverage over how his side negotiates, which he used effectively when he came out against two things Dems had been insisting on: Bankruptcy and economic stimulus provisions in the bill. His opposition gave Reid and Pelosi cover with the base to offer those concessions to Paulson and Bernanke and the GOP leadership.

McCain's role here is similar: The only threat to the bill at this point --and, according to the morning papers, its a remote threat-- is the GOP base not signing on. To the extent his suspending the campaign is anything other than political theater, what he is trying to do is get his side behind its own bill.

The idea that either of these guys will be more hands on than that is an utter fallacy. Neither of them is on a relevant committee.

In any event, despite what McCain is saying, both the WSJ and the AP today say a deal is very close, with both sides having agreed to significant concessions. (Paulson agreed to accept executive compensation Democrats insisted upon.)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2771983]We're in a serious financial crisis and neither of these candidates give me much hope. On one hand, you have McCain, who, it might appear, is rolling up his sleeves to get this problem solved and putting "Country First". Or, you may look at it as a political stunt or someone who is in a panic. I can't really tell yet. On the other hand, you have Obama, who appears to be cool as a cucumber, saying that a president should be able to do more than one thing at a time and that the American people need to hear their debate, now more then ever. But then he says he's talked to Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi (gee, that's comforting) and told them, something to the effect, " if you need me, I can be there". The possibility of inheriting a 700 billion dollar debt doesn't make him want to be there to make sure this problem is solved in the best manner possible?[/QUOTE]

to me, it is more important to have the debate and let the few undecided American get closer to picking a candidate than two Senators waiting for their turn to talk and voting.

I think, in the long term, the campaign is more important for these two men.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, this is America. You only get to choose between two candidates and two platforms. And furthermore, your vote for president doesn't count anyway... your electoral college representatives from Texas are going to vote for McCain on your behalf.

BTW, my reps in Maryland are voting for Obama whether I like it or not.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think 700 billion is going to affect the policies that these guys are threatening (or promising -- depends on your stance) to enact. How this financial situation is handled may be more important than which one of these clowns becomes president.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2772099]I think 700 billion is going to affect the policies that these guys are threatening (or promising -- depends on your stance) to enact. How this financial situation is handled may be more important than which one of these clowns becomes president.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, which is why the candidates should not hurl negotiations that have been proceeding in a surprisingly bipartisan and effective manner by all accounts into the middle of presidential politics at the last month.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dcJet;2772059]Dude, this is America. You only get to choose between two candidates and two platforms. And furthermore, your vote for president doesn't count anyway... your electoral college representatives from Texas are going to vote for McCain on your behalf.

BTW, my reps in Maryland are voting for Obama whether I like it or not.[/QUOTE]

Which is why voting for the lesser of these two evils is more in the line of wasting your vote than voting for a 3rd party candidate. If you dont like either of these two clowns, go 3rd party.