Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Name one Obama accomplishment

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2780181]Thanks. There was some good stuff in that Google search.

For example, who would know better than a fellow senator from Texas?

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGeu_4Ekx-o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGeu_4Ekx-o[/URL][/QUOTE]

Fellow Senator? Not sure I follow.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what's worse, this thread or Jack Black.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got one: How about that he (nor anybody associated with the Obama campaign) voted for the deregulation of Wall Street and the housing markets that led us into the economic mess we currently find ourselves in.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever tried to land a jet plane on a needle in the middle of the ocean? I be willing to bet he isn't the only one!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what's worse, Obama becoming president having accomplished nothing of value or McCain's own presidential campaign.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Das Ken;2780292]I don't know what's worse, Obama becoming president having accomplished nothing of value or McCain's own presidential campaign.[/QUOTE]

Whoops, see above thread.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFan24;2780308]Whoops, see above thread.[/QUOTE]

lol... are you talking about your post a few above mine? Cause I wrote it off yours. Or are you actually talking about another thread?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Das Ken;2780344]lol... are you talking about your post a few above mine? Cause I wrote it off yours. Or are you actually talking about another thread?[/QUOTE]

I'm talking about the fact that the "he hasn't had one accomplishment" accusation is a blatant lie.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's got an Internetz chick singing about him, and he emails Scarlett Johanssen.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFan24;2780352]I'm talking about the fact that the "he hasn't had one accomplishment" accusation is a blatant lie.[/QUOTE]

So as nuu said "major bipartisan bills on government transparency, ethics reform and nuclear proliferation."

Lets examine this, a bill on government transparency creating this?

[URL="http://www.usaspending.gov/index.php"]http://www.usaspending.gov/index.php[/URL]

Beautiful stuff. Takes something any competent person could find on their own but streamlines it. I'm fine with that, anything made easier is good.

A bill on ethics reform which is pretty much fluff? Yep. It sounds good but doesn't really change anything.

[URL="http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0507/4073.html"]http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0507/4073.html[/URL]

And nuclear proliferation? Come on now, what is he going to do? Russia still has them and is helping others get them in Iran and Venezuela at least. Do people really think he's going to do anything to stop them?

Obama has done nothing of value in the Senate. Straight up, Congress is not made for the freshmen members, so even if he had these grand ideas he couldn't have gotten them passed. As of now he's simply a puppet of the Democratic party with a false message of change. Is he intelligent? Absolutely. Is he a politician? Of course. He's a great speaker and probably a really great guy but that doesn't make someone president... until now it seems.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i couldn't resist about two cents worth. baracks accomplishments are meaningless mainly because he doesn't have any. as much as people want to make light of his harvard law review presidency and his good judgement the facts speak volumes. first off he was a law professor for 12 year at the n of chicago yet he didn't publish a single paper on anything. in spite of this lack of effort (academia is a publish or perish environment where you must publish things of nore relavent to your field to make tenure, etc) he was offered tenure. i'll let other do the math. on his display of judement, that is his stance on the iraq invasion, he was speaking as a state senator not as anyone in a high position of government. i am sure that millions of americans (even in the armed forces) had some serious misgivings before the invasion was launched. the resolution was not unanimous so there were people in power who were wiling to go against the popular vote. so what about this great judgement? did his opinion really count for anything? moreover, he made in a situation where he really didn't have any accontability for the consequences one way or another. judgement, good or bad, is made when someone takes a stance that has some material affect upon others. therefore he did not display any judgement, just an opinion. let's take this judgement a bit farther. did barack display any great judgement but allying himself with rev. wright for well over 20 years while this clown is going around spewing anti-american ideas? how about rezko. did barack display any great judgement by accepting sweetheart deals from tony rezko? or how abpout his not paying back his student loan until last spring? seems to me a guys who just made 4M or so writing a book should have been able to pay off his 47K student loan. i think the answers are fairly obvious. for all that is wrong with washington and the government in general, imo, barack is not the guy to get anything done. he is a shame and is just as dirty as other one.

never forget hire the vet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this what you are trying accomplish?

[IMG]http://www.csulb.edu/~karenk/20thcwebsite/438final/ah438fin-ImageF.00001.jpeg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=sameoldjets;2780484]i couldn't resist about two cents worth. baracks accomplishments are meaningless mainly because he doesn't have any. as much as people want to make light of his harvard law review presidency and his good judgement the facts speak volumes. first off he was a law professor for 12 year at the n of chicago yet he didn't publish a single paper on anything. in spite of this lack of effort (academia is a publish or perish environment where you must publish things of nore relavent to your field to make tenure, etc) he was offered tenure. i'll let other do the math. on his display of judement, that is his stance on the iraq invasion, he was speaking as a state senator not as anyone in a high position of government. i am sure that millions of americans (even in the armed forces) had some serious misgivings before the invasion was launched. the resolution was not unanimous so there were people in power who were wiling to go against the popular vote. so what about this great judgement? did his opinion really count for anything? moreover, he made in a situation where he really didn't have any accontability for the consequences one way or another. judgement, good or bad, is made when someone takes a stance that has some material affect upon others. therefore he did not display any judgement, just an opinion. let's take this judgement a bit farther. did barack display any great judgement but allying himself with rev. wright for well over 20 years while this clown is going around spewing anti-american ideas? how about rezko. did barack display any great judgement by accepting sweetheart deals from tony rezko? or how abpout his not paying back his student loan until last spring? seems to me a guys who just made 4M or so writing a book should have been able to pay off his 47K student loan. i think the answers are fairly obvious. for all that is wrong with washington and the government in general, imo, barack is not the guy to get anything done. he is a shame and is just as dirty as other one.

never forget hire the vet.[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Das Ken;2780426]So as nuu said "major bipartisan bills on government transparency, ethics reform and nuclear proliferation."

Lets examine this, a bill on government transparency creating this?

[URL="http://www.usaspending.gov/index.php"]http://www.usaspending.gov/index.php[/URL]

Beautiful stuff. Takes something any competent person could find on their own but streamlines it. I'm fine with that, anything made easier is good.

A bill on ethics reform which is pretty much fluff? Yep. It sounds good but doesn't really change anything.

[URL="http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0507/4073.html"]http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0507/4073.html[/URL]

And nuclear proliferation? Come on now, what is he going to do? Russia still has them and is helping others get them in Iran and Venezuela at least. Do people really think he's going to do anything to stop them?

Obama has done nothing of value in the Senate. Straight up, Congress is not made for the freshmen members, so even if he had these grand ideas he couldn't have gotten them passed. As of now he's simply a puppet of the Democratic party with a false message of change. Is he intelligent? Absolutely. Is he a politician? Of course. He's a great speaker and probably a really great guy but that doesn't make someone president... until now it seems.[/QUOTE]

Nuclear proliferation is probably the single most important security issue we face.

Mocking it makes you look foolish.

Obama co-sponsored it with Dick Lugar, a Republican, and a guy who has a long, serious track record on the issue going back to the end of the Cold War. He says it was a significant accomplishment, btw.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2780507]Nuclear proliferation is probably the single most important security issue we face.

Mocking it makes you look foolish.

Obama co-sponsored it with Dick Lugar, a Republican, and a guy who has a long, serious track record on the issue going back to the end of the Cold War. He says it was a significant accomplishment, btw.[/QUOTE]

Mocking it? Well yea, I guess I was.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that neither party has done or will do what is necessary to prohibit nuclear proliferation. Neither Bush Uno, Clinton or this Bush has made the difficult choices necessary to limit the damage. It was news yesterday that Venezuela just forged an agreement with Russia over nuclear power. What did we do? Nothing.

The best thing we can say is that we let Israel take out any facilities in the Middle East and the North Korea is so dysfunctional that they'll probably use their nuclear weapons against themselves. And both those things are horrible.

Point is, legislation in the Congress, or from the UN, has done and will continue to do little nothing to stop nuclear proliferation.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Das Ken;2780603]Mocking it? Well yea, I guess I was.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that neither party has done or will do what is necessary to prohibit nuclear proliferation. Neither Bush Uno, Clinton or this Bush has made the difficult choices necessary to limit the damage. It was news yesterday that Venezuela just forged an agreement with Russia over nuclear power. What did we do? Nothing.

The best thing we can say is that we let Israel take out any facilities in the Middle East and the North Korea is so dysfunctional that they'll probably use their nuclear weapons against themselves. And both those things are horrible.

Point is, legislation in the Congress, or from the UN, has done and will continue to do little nothing to stop nuclear proliferation.[/QUOTE]

Well not having yet eliminated the problem is not the same thing as not having done something. The Obama-Lugar bill was a serious bill on a serious subject.

I know the GOP narrative is to pretend he has never done anything at all --as opposed to the more honest argument that, while quite productive in a short time, he's done far less than the other guy has in a long time-- this is a case where the facts get in the way.

As is the "Google for government" bill, btw. A key way to put a check on questionable gov't spending is to expose it to public view. McCain is always saying he'll make earmarkers famous: Obama's bill created a tool to do exactly that.

As for the ethics bill, you can dismiss it as fluff, but it is the most comprehensive reform bill since the Watergate era. Not perfect by any means, but an improvement over the status quo with regard to lobbying reform.

All three of these were done across party lines, btw.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Legit question: If Barack's votership does not care about this, and McCain's votership will not be swayed from McCain no matter what,

what does this matter?

If Barack Obama becomes president, we are somewhat helpless and will hope he has a good presidency.

If McCain becomes president, this is a moot point.

What is the goal of a thread like this?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fukushimajin;2780099]I can't improve on that.

SAJF: [B]Honestly, were you asking the same questions about the current numbskull in the White House back in 2000? Probably not. And Bush could not even list any academic credentials to indicate even the potential for President-level ability[/B].[/QUOTE]

[B]Great Point.[/B]

And this is what drives me nuts about many of the republicans who drivel on about a lack of experience. If it was such an issue then they would have voted for Al Gore, the two term vice president of the United States of America, instead of George Bush (who was trading Sammy Sosa a few years earlier).

Its a complete lack of intellectual honesty.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2780619]
    All three of these were done across party lines, btw.[/QUOTE]

I would never argue that the Republicans are usually right, or often right... or ever right. And while bi-partisan efforts are nice, by blending normally incompatible ideas together to make a bill, they end up doing a lot of nothing.

So these acts, while good, don't really do too much. What people are forgetting and what I'm way too lazy to look up, is what he did for Illinois. Younger Senators often have to content themselves with locking up funding for projects for their home state and I'm sure he did that. From all accounts, he was a capable Senator during his short time in office.

I've always felt that 8 years served either in the Senate or as VP would have made him an accomplished and qualified candidate. Unfortunately, I don't feel he's quite there yet. Which is why I took up the argument against him. I also feel that he has not yet become his own man, rather he allowed others to define him and his policies.

And I'm not a Republican, I just support McCain. Though his campaign has made if difficult to do so.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would you guys even answer him if you knew it wasn't an honest question?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2780079]Can someone name one Obama accomplishment in government that's NOT defeating Hillary in a primary?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Obama's biggest accomplishment: He isn't another 4 years of the Bust Administration.

I think that's way more impressive than your boy McSame listening to Phil Gramm, the guy who almost single-handedly sunk our economy with his nice deregulation of Wall St.