Thread: Bobby V.......??????

All Pro

Bobby V.......??????

According to Andrew Marchand, in an on-air report for ESPN 1050, Bobby Valentine would be interested in managing the Mets again.

In the report, Marchand quotes Valentine as saying:

‘I am working for a team that needs me and wants me as their man. I love it here, but I am an American and love great challenges. I was a in a Met uniform in the ’70s, ’80s, ’90s, 2000, and would love to be there in the next decade.’

As noted earlier, the New York Post and Newsday have both reported that the Mets have offered Jerry Manuel a two-year contract, ‘’but he has yet to sign it.’

The thing is, according to Marchand, ‘Manuel may want a three-year commitment.’
    Heres the thing, I LOVE bobby V, i think he is one of the greatest baseball minds there is. Bobby V is the reason we even made the post seasonin the late 90s. Since he has left i have wanted him back, but a lil part of me now wants to see what Jerry Manual brings to the table.

I dunno im confused

thoughts

All League
    I think if Manuel plays hard ball and Bobby is willing to come back they should definitely do it.

All Pro
    Realistically, I think Manuel is managing the Mets next season. But, I've always liked Bobby V and would take him managing my team any day. We'll see what happens.

All Pro
    The mets played 17 games over .500 with Jeryy at the helm and a sorry excuse of a bullpen with plenty of injuries. I like Jerry and think he is a good manager, he has this clubhouse dynamic down and seems like he can handle NY

On the other hand i think guys like Wright, Reyes, Murphy, most the young guys and even a lunch pail type like church with thrive under Bobby V, i just dont know how guys like Beltran, Santana, even Delgado(dont want to lose him, but i am becoming more receptive to the sell high point if we get GREAT return) would respond to Bobby V type personality

Again i love Bobby V and even if not the Met a guy like him belongs running a team in the MLB

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3623945

If the New York Mets are unable to sign Jerry Manuel to be their manager, Bobby Valentine sounds interested in returning to Queens.

Valentine is currently managing Chiba Lotte in Japan's professional league. He says he is happy there, but Valentine is not opposed to talking with the Mets. In an e-mail message, Valentine was asked: How much interest would you have in returning to manage the Mets?

"I am working for a team that needs me and wants me as their man," Valentine replied. "I love it here, but I am an American and love great challenges. I was in a Met uniform in the '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000, and would love to be there in the next decade."

Mets general manager Omar Minaya is currently negotiating with Manuel to become the full-time manager. The talks, though, have stalled a bit. The Mets are reportedly offering Manuel only a two-year contract, but Manuel reportedly wants a lengthier commitment.

Manuel took over for Willie Randolph in June and led the Mets to a 55-38 finish, but the Mets failed to make the playoffs after having a 3˝-game lead in the NL East with 17 games remaining.

As for Valentine, he could be too expensive for the Mets; he reportedly makes $4 million annually managing in Japan, a salary that makes him the second highest-paid manager in professional baseball, behind the Dodgers' Joe Torre. The Mets still have to pay Randolph $2.5 million in 2009, the final season of his contract.

Minaya did not immediately return a call seeking comment on the possibility of talking to Valentine.

Valentine, 58, led the Mets to the World Series in 2000, where they lost to the Yankees in five games. He was fired by the Mets after the 2002 season. After a year working as an analyst for ESPN, he left for Chiba Lotte, which he had managed previously.

In 2005, Valentine led the team to its first Japan Series title in more than three decades.

Hall Of Fame
    I didn't want Valentine back.

Smart guy, but do people completely forget how that story ended? That the players ended up turning on him because of his complete lack of people skills? He managed the team like it was a fantasy football team, without having the lines of communication open necessary to placate egos.