Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Question: What Is A Yellow Card?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Question: What Is A Yellow Card?

In the NFL if a player gets a (yellow) flag, his team is penalized 5, 10, 15 yards, etc. A flag could result in a first down, loss of a first down, better field goal range for a kicker, or out of range for a field goal kicker, etc. You get the picture.

In soccer what does a player or his/her team get penalized when a player gets a yellow card? What do they lose, measurably?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyJet View Post
    In the NFL if a player gets a (yellow) flag, his team is penalized 5, 10, 15 yards, etc. A flag could result in a first down, loss of a first down, better field goal range for a kicker, or out of range for a field goal kicker, etc. You get the picture.

In soccer what does a player or his/her team get penalized when a player gets a yellow card? What do they lose, measurably?

Nothing for one yellow card. But if they get a second yellow card in the game it adds up to a red card or ejection. The team doesn't get to replace him then so they play a man down.

Also, I think for tournaments, (not sure about league rules) if they get a certain number of yellow cards in various rounds, they are suspended from the next game.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get a yellow card for various reasons but mostly for dangerous play or unsportsmanlike conduct. If you get 2 yellow cards in the same game, you get kicked off the field (you get the 2nd yellow card, then he flashes the red). In most leagues, when you get red carded in a game, you’re also suspended for the next game (or 2 depending on the severity of your fouls).

You can get a red card off the bat even if you didn’t receive a yellow card beforehand. This happens for blatant/violent fouls, fighting/striking another player (Zidane’s headbutt for instance) or if you commit a foul on a player as the last defender (a guy is on a breakaway and you foul him).

In international play, you’re allowed 1 yellow card in the first round of a tournament. If you get a 2nd one, in a separate game, you’ll be suspended the next one. Once in the playoff round, you’re yellow card count goes back to zero. Similar rules exist in every league with different rules. Generally it’s 2 yellow cards in 3 or 4 straight games, and you get a suspension.

In conclusion, the effect of a yellow card is a player may play less aggressively while he’s under the menace of a 2nd one which would mean a red card (leaving his team one man down) + suspension (in which case he can of course be replaced).
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 10-08-2008 at 02:58 AM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not a big basketball fan but a yellow card might be better compared to a foul in basketball, after you get 5 you are removed from the game and as you get closer to the fifth you do play less aggressively, especially on defense. Onlt difference is that in basketball when you go over your limit in fouls you can play in the next game but in soccer if you get two yellows or one red you will be out the next game or possibly more.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    You can get a yellow card for various reasons but mostly for dangerous play or unsportsmanlike conduct. If you get 2 yellow cards in the same game, you get kicked off the field (you get the 2nd yellow card, then he flashes the red). In most leagues, when you get red carded in a game, youíre also suspended for the next game (or 2 depending on the severity of your fouls).

You can get a red card off the bat even if you didnít receive a yellow card beforehand. This happens for blatant/violent fouls, fighting/striking another player (Zidaneís headbutt for instance) or if you commit a foul on a player as the last defender (a guy is on a breakaway and you foul him).

In international play, youíre allowed 1 yellow card in the first round of a tournament. If you get a 2nd one, in a separate game, youíll be suspended the next one. Once in the playoff round, youíre yellow card count goes back to zero. Similar rules exist in every league with different rules. Generally itís 2 yellow cards in 3 or 4 straight games, and you get a suspension.

In conclusion, the effect of a yellow card is a player may play less aggressively while heís under the menace of a 2nd one which would mean a red card (leaving his team one man down) + suspension (in which case he can of course be replaced).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet123456 View Post
    I am not a big basketball fan but a yellow card might be better compared to a foul in basketball, after you get 5 you are removed from the game and as you get closer to the fifth you do play less aggressively, especially on defense. Onlt difference is that in basketball when you go over your limit in fouls you can play in the next game but in soccer if you get two yellows or one red you will be out the next game or possibly more.
    That could actually be a good idea: use basketball fouling system in soccer. There wouldn’t be any more arguing with the ref if it deserved a yellow or a red. It would also cut down on the cheap bastard type fouls 40 meters from your goal to chop the pace of the game.

5 (or x) fouls and you’re out of the game.

Interesting.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    That could actually be a good idea: use basketball fouling system in soccer. There wouldnít be any more arguing with the ref if it deserved a yellow or a red. It would also cut down on the cheap bastard type fouls 40 meters from your goal to chop the pace of the game.

5 (or x) fouls and youíre out of the game.

Interesting.
    Good idea on paper but i think i'd be hard to pull it off on the pitch. It'd become too stop start.

The way it is at the moment works, if only everyone was on the same page. What one ref might think is a yellow card offence, another might not even think its a foul......

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ 381 View Post
    Good idea on paper but i think i'd be hard to pull it off on the pitch. It'd become too stop start.

The way it is at the moment works, if only everyone was on the same page. What one ref might think is a yellow card offence, another might not even think its a foul......
    Yeah I know, just thinking out loud. I don’t think the stop-start would be a problem. Some games are already like that. It could work if noone faked the fouls. With the faking it’s almost impossible to pull off.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for your replies. It just kind of dawned on me while watching a soccer match a week ago, after watching a player get a yellow card, that the yellow card didn't seem to mean anything, penalty-wise.

The player didn't really lose anything. Nor did his team. After a minute for the referee to pull the yellow card and write it down on the score card, play resumed right where it left off.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for your replies. It just kind of dawned on me while watching a soccer match a week ago, after watching a player get a yellow card, that the yellow card didn't seem to mean anything, penalty-wise.

The player didn't really lose anything. Nor did his team. After a minute for the referee to pull the yellow card and write it down on the score card, play resumed right where it left off.

Yellow cards also carry over into the next match.

If a player gets one in consecutive matches, he is suspended for the next match.

They do have major short term ramifications.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vwxy323 View Post
    胶体磨操作使用注意事项  1、联接好进料斗或进料管,及出料口,或出料循环管。接上冷却水管和排漏管。  2、 安装好电力启动器,配上电流表及指示灯。接上电源后,应开机运转判别电机转向,从进料口看方向应为顺时针。   3、调节磨片间隙,将两手柄旋松(反时针拧)然后顺时针转动调节环,用一只手伸入底座方口内转动电机风 叶,当转动调节环感到有少许磨擦时马上停止。再反转调节环少许使磨片间隙大于对准数字,一般在满足加工物料 细度要求的情况下,尽可能使磨间隙销大一些。这样可以使磨片使用寿命长一些。然后再顺时针旋紧手柄锁紧了调 节环,使磨片间隙固定。  4、彻底消毒,清洗机体内部。  5、接通冷却水,启动胶体磨待运转正常后立即 投料入磨加工。空车运转不得大于15秒。  6、加工物料不允许有石英,碎玻璃,金属屑硬物质混入其中,否 则入磨将损伤动、静磨片。  7、注意电动机负荷,若发现过载要减少投料。  8、胶体磨属高精机械,磨片 间隙极小,运转速度高,操作人员应严守岗位,按规章操作,发现故障及时停机,排除故障后再用。  9、胶体 磨使用后,应彻底清洗勿使物料残留机内,以免机械密封粘结引起泄漏。
    agreed.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Remember when I wanted to be a mod?

This is why.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post

This is why.
    Really? That's your agenda?

State here your poster blacklist. Only 4-5 people will see it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post

This is why.
    Really? That's your agenda?

State here your poster blacklist. Only 4-5 people will see it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet123456 View Post
    I was going to make a similar analogy. But, I think of a yellow card more like a technical foul. 2 and you are gone. The 1st one is worse in Basketball becaue the other team gets foul shots and the ball, but in soccer, the 2nd is far worse because you have to play 11 vs. 10 the rest of the way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paulie fix this!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyPaige View Post
    Paulie fix this!
    Believe me, I'd love to.