Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

View Poll Results: Who won the debate?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama Killed It

12 13.64%
  • Obama Won

38 43.18%
  • Obama by a Little

15 17.05%
  • Draw, goes to Obama

1 1.14%
  • Draw, no one wins

4 4.55%
  • Draw, goes to McCain

2 2.27%
  • McCain by a Little

6 6.82%
  • McCain Won

5 5.68%
  • McCain Killed It

5 5.68%
  • Obama on domestic, McCain on foreign policy

0 0%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The OFFICIAL Second Presidential Debate Results Thread / Poll

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2794254]CNN Insta-Poll Results:

Who did the best? (i.e. who WON?)

[B]Obama 54[/B]
    McCain 39
    [B]
    Obama favorable numbers pre-post debate
    60-64
    Obama unfavorable numbers pre-post debate
    38-34[/B]

McCain favorable numbers pre-post debate
    51-51
    McCain unfavorable numbers pre-post debate
    46 -46[/QUOTE]

on FOX if it wasn't for Hume, Luntz would have gotten away with misrepresenting his focus groups opinion on who won the economic part of the debate...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still no one for McCain killed it. C'mon guys.. "Talk softly carry a big stick".... "That guy over there"...You never heard of Freddie Mac....:D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    CBS News poll is out
    [url]http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/10/07/politics/horserace/entry4508356.shtml[/url]

400 participants

[B]Who won?
    39% for Obama, 34% say draw, 26% McCain...
    [/B]

[B]Will Obama will make the right decisions on the economy?[/B]

Before debate: 54
    [B]After debate: 68[/B]

Will McCain will make the right decisions on the economy?

Before debate: 41
    After debate: 49

I will post links for both as soon as I can
    Last edited by King Ryan; 10-07-2008 at 11:36 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The first debate was pretty much a wash, with Obama basically getting credit for a tie as the frontrunner.

Tonight, Obama was sharper, tougher, and more specific. He landed a massive body blow with the "bomb, bomb, bomb Iran" line, which literally took the air out of McCain.

McCain did not do badly, in my opinion. He was more amiable, seemed comfortable with the format and made his case. But he got killed. The other guy was just better.

One last note re: "that one": Total non-story, imo. McCain was trying to make a joke. He sorta failed. I detected no contempt in it. Unfortunately for him, his sneering performance in the first debate is going to color it. But I do not think it was an issue, personally.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not watching the MSNBC coverage so I don't know what the DEM talking points will be, but FOX is making it clear what the PUB talking points will be..

Obama will not stand by Israel...

McCain surprisingly won the economic portion of the debate, which is laughable, but a necessary talking point because they have to make it look as though the country separates McCain from Bush and shows that, hey, people think he is different

also, hearing some nice spin on McCain buying mortgages, they basically talked the female panelist down...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obama won by a slight margin, but I thought the debate was poor overall.

McCain went negative early and often, and he didn't let up at any point during the debate. He used lots of meaningless catch phrases and simply comes off as out of touch with reality at times. Many of his criticisms of Obama came off as disingenuous or flat out false. He's a typical politician.

McCain seemed more natural in the town hall environment, but how many times do we have to hear "my friends" before getting an unstoppable urge to puke? McCain did a very poor job of laying out solutions and focused most of his energy on attacks and basic talking points.

Obama did a better job of being specific about solutions, but too often resorted to meaningless rhetoric. He was put on the defensive by McCain's attacks and took the bait too often. He needs to do a better job of answering the questions and sticking to the specifics. Maybe it's just me, but Obama simply comes off as more intelligent, more in touch with reality, and more trustworthy.

It is clear that Obama has become much more politically seasoned since his campaign for Presidency started. He's still learning, but he's getting there. His handling of all the adversity gives me confidence that he's capable of being a good leader.

Overall, I think this is the end for McCain. There is not much drive left in those legs.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;2794272]Obama won by a slight margin, but I thought the debate was poor overall.

McCain went negative early and often, and he didn't let up at any point during the debate. He used lots of meaningless catch phrases and simply comes off as out of touch with reality at times. Many of his criticisms of Obama came off as disingenuous or flat out false. He's a typical politician.

McCain seemed more natural in the town hall environment, but how many times do we have to hear "my friends" before getting an unstoppable urge to puke? McCain did a very poor job of laying out solutions and focused most of his energy on attacks and basic talking points.

Obama did a better job of being specific about solutions, but too often resorted to meaningless rhetoric. He was put on the defensive by McCain's attacks and took the bait too often. He needs to do a better job of answering the questions and sticking to the specifics. Maybe it's just me, but Obama simply comes off as more intelligent, more in touch with reality, and more trustworthy.

It is clear that Obama has become much more politically seasoned since his campaign for Presidency started. He's still learning, but he's getting there. His handling of all the adversity gives me confidence that he's capable of being a good leader.

Overall, I think this is the end for McCain. There is not much drive left in those legs.[/QUOTE]

Not a bad synopsis.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    also, seems that the PUB talking point will be, "Why no questions about Ayers?"

basically, why no questions posed to make Obama look like a terrorist sympathizer...

unreal

maybe guys, the majority of us don't care, this is the wrong year for negative campaigning, not with the crap going on....

but the still hit the Ayers button when they can...even though all we care about is the trillion or so dollars that it looks like taxpayers are going to spend over the next few months..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;2794272]but how many times do we have to hear "my friends" before getting an unstoppable urge to puke? [/QUOTE]

That's when my wife made me watch the rest of the debate in the garage. She got tired of hearing "my friends" and seeing him do that idiotic smirk he does. Freaking dude is scary when he does that.

How about that John McCain? HEH! He did great at that debate! HEH!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;2794272]Obama won by a slight margin, but I thought the debate was poor overall.

Overall, I think this is the end for McCain. There is not much drive left in those legs.[/QUOTE]

The moderators need to step in more. The candidates have figured out they can go off on a tangent and just spew their rehersed talking points.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy-y-y-y;2794284]The moderators need to step in more. The candidates have figured out they can go off on a tangent and just spew their rehersed talking points.[/QUOTE]

I thought they used to have real loud noises to cut them off when they went over their time....

am I imaging things?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2794282]also, seems that the PUB talking point will be, "Why no questions about Ayers?"

basically, why no questions posed to make Obama look like a terrorist sympathizer...

unreal

maybe guys, the majority of us don't care, this is the wrong year for negative campaigning, not with the crap going on....

but the still hit the Ayers button when they can...even though all we care about is the trillion or so dollars that it looks like taxpayers are going to spend over the next few months..[/QUOTE]

No questions about Keating, either.

Frankly, in the middle of an economic crisis with two wars going on, to waste debate time on either topic is dumb.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2794295]No questions about Keating, either.

Frankly, in the middle of an economic crisis with two wars going on, to waste debate time on either topic is dumb.[/QUOTE]

it is insane to me to think that people really think most Americans care about this now....if times were different, it might be more effective, but I think, due to the time of this election, these tactics are unloaded weapons.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    More results!

[url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/07/who-won-the-debate-insta_n_132827.html[/url]

NBC's focus group of undecided Pennsylvania voters had the Illinois Democrat winning by roughly a 60-40 split.

Frank Luntz's focus group, over at Fox, showed undecided voters leaning towards Obama because of his position on health care.

Greenberg Quinlan Rosner, a Democratic polling firm, had a focus group of undecideds leaning to Obama by a margin of 42 percent to 24 percent.

Meanwhile, SurveyUSA interviewed 741 debate watchers in the state of Washington, 54 percent of whom thought Obama was the "clear winner" compared with McCain's 29 percent. That same polling firm had the first debate as a tie. In tonight's survey: 42 percent of respondents said McCain was too forceful.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The financial crisis is a hurricane that has made all the other domestic issues (health care, gov't spending, etc.) seem small in comparison. On this point neither candidate knows what to do. Hell, I'm not sure anyone in the world does. The Asian markets are in freefall as I write this.

Obama's best moment:

When he talked about Americans' need to sacrifice. He wasn't exactly Kennedy-esque, but it's a point that needs to be made. People in this country need to stop thinking of themselves.

McCain's best moment:

When he spoke about Russia. Not exactly the hottest topic these days, but his smarts and experience showed when he answered a yes/no question with "maybe."

Obama is going to win this election. It would take something collosal for him to lose it. Lets hope he's smart enough afterwards to make McCain part of his foreign policy inner circle. Lets hope McCain isn't too cantankerous to accept.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2794288]I thought they used to have real loud noises to cut them off when they went over their time....

am I imaging things?[/QUOTE]

I would not be against the moderator being given an air horn to sound off when a time limit is reached. Or maybe they could play the Jeopardy music in the background to tick down the time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2794311]More results!

[url]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/07/who-won-the-debate-insta_n_132827.html[/url]

NBC's focus group of undecided Pennsylvania voters had the Illinois Democrat winning by roughly a 60-40 split.

Frank Luntz's focus group, over at Fox, showed undecided voters leaning towards Obama because of his position on health care.

Greenberg Quinlan Rosner, a Democratic polling firm, had a focus group of undecideds leaning to Obama by a margin of 42 percent to 24 percent.

Meanwhile, SurveyUSA interviewed 741 debate watchers in the state of Washington, 54 percent of whom thought Obama was the "clear winner" compared with McCain's 29 percent. That same polling firm had the first debate as a tie. In tonight's survey: 42 percent of respondents said McCain was too forceful.[/QUOTE]

It was a blowout.

No polls were necessary to see that in real time, even if they now confirm it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2794328] Obama is going to win this election. It would take something collosal for him to lose it. Lets hope he's smart enough afterwards to make McCain part of his foreign policy inner circle. Lets hope McCain isn't too cantankerous to accept.[/QUOTE]

Good thought. I think that would be a good outcome if it were to transpire.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2794336]Good thought. I think that would be a good outcome if it were to transpire.[/QUOTE]

I think Obama should keep Gates at defense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2794341]I think Obama should keep Gates at defense.[/QUOTE]

Not that I was thinking about McCain as secretary of defense. But why Gates?