Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obama should push for more Townhall Debates

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2795141]Why, are there no republicans in NYC?
    What I want is a true town hall meeting. One where the questions are not vetted and the members of the audience are allowed to respond to the candidates responses. I want intelligent people from both sides of the aisle to challenge the candidates, not a bunch of blank stared uninterested people like we usually see. I want passion, the way you see in real town hall meetings.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Someone should have put Obama on the spot about the rampant voter fraud associated with ACORN.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jetsin1999;2795144]you missed the point:D[/QUOTE]

I guess it's because I am a "sick person".

All Pro
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2795141]Why, are there no republicans in NYC?
    What I want is a true town hall meeting. One where the questions are not vetted and the members of the audience are allowed to respond to the candidates responses. I want intelligent people from both sides of the aisle to challenge the candidates, not a bunch of blank stared uninterested people like we usually see. I want passion, the way you see in real town hall meetings.[/QUOTE]

While this is a valid argument, it has nothing to do with location. Kenny, this location argument is silly and has nothing to do with the format of the town hall meeting or the audience present.

[QUOTE=crasherino;2795130]....and no one in the crowd is even allowed to respond at all.

So what's the point of having it in NY? If you are going to lobby for the home field advantage, at least have it mean something....:D[/QUOTE]

The point of having it in NYC/Boston/SF is you are more likely to find some cosmopolitan people who have left there burb more than a handful of times who might actually understand the difference between a Kurd, Sunni and Shia in Iraq and who know that Afghanistan does not neighbor Iraq. You know people who are not turned off by the European way of life and who dont think being French is a necessarily a negative thing. People who were embarassed by the freedom fries and cringe at the though of naming the WTC replacement the Freedom Tower or who cringe whenever they here the term islamofascist or laugh when someone tells them the terrorists hate us because of our freedoms and way of life.

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2795146]I agree. Someone should have put Obama on the spot about the rampant voter fraud associated with ACORN.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely and someone should have smacked McCain down when he repeated that BS about how victory is at hand in Iraq

Banned
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2795148]I guess it's because I am a "sick person".[/QUOTE]

and again you missed the point:D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2795153]The point of having it in NYC/Boston/SF is you are more likely to find some cosmopolitan people who have left there burb more than a handful of times who might actually understand the difference between a Kurd, Sunni and Shia in Iraq and who know that Afghanistan does not neighbor Iraq. You know people who are not turned off by the European way of life and who dont think being French is a necessarily a negative thing. People who were embarassed by the freedom fries and cringe at the though of naming the WTC replacement the Freedom Tower or who cringe whenever they here the term islamofascist or laugh when someone tells them the terrorists hate us because of our freedoms and way of life.[/QUOTE]

I guess my question is....where would that knowledge you speak of manifest itself? In the questions posed to the candidates? I'm guessing you'd see the same fluff.

and in reading some of your other replies, your objections seem to relate more to the format than the venue.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2795153]The point of having it in NYC/Boston/SF is you are more likely to find some cosmopolitan people who have left there burb more than a handful of times who might actually understand the difference between a Kurd, Sunni and Shia in Iraq and who know that Afghanistan does not neighbor Iraq. You know people who are not turned off by the European way of life and who dont think being French is a necessarily a negative thing. People who were embarassed by the freedom fries and cringe at the though of naming the WTC replacement the Freedom Tower or who cringe whenever they here the term islamofascist or laugh when someone tells them the terrorists hate us because of our freedoms and way of life.[/QUOTE]

You are painting with a very broad brush.

Hall Of Fame

Or someone who may know that Russia has veto power on the UN Security Council!:yes:

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2794746]Also, why do townhall debates always take place in these **** republican predominant cities?? Why for once cant we have a town hall debate (at least one) in NYC or Boston or San Francisco?? Im sure McCain would never agree to it (hell, he wont even show up on a real Left leaning news program like Rachel Maddows show).[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2795141]What I want is a true town hall meeting. One where the questions are not vetted and the members of the audience are allowed to respond to the candidates responses. I want intelligent people from both sides of the aisle to challenge the candidates, not a bunch of blank stared uninterested people like we usually see. I want passion, the way you see in real town hall meetings.[/QUOTE]

Based on your OP and this new post, are you now claiming the reason the debate was like this (unintelligent blank faced staring uninterested, etc) is because it was in St. Louis, and not in NY, Boston or San Fransisco? :confused:

Perhaps if your point was what it is in the newest post above, you should have simply said just that......and not started off with an incorrect smearing of the people of St. Louis, followed up by an incorrect claim that they are "republican predominant".

Perhaps, had you done that, your point would have been far better received. Your point above regarding a more open and questioning and active audience I fully agree with. Although you and I both know neither party would alloy such a thing to ever occur, so it does boil down to be a pipedream more than anything else.

How long did you live in St. Louis Ken, to provide this insight into their (in your view) apparent ignorance of all things?

[QUOTE]actually understand the difference between a Kurd, Sunni and Shia in Iraq[/QUOTE]

The irony, of course, is that you do not seem to understand the difference between Republicans and Democrats in St. Louis.
    Last edited by Warfish; 10-08-2008 at 03:10 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2795165]How long did you live in St. Louis Ken, to provide this insight into their (in your view) apparent ignorance of all things?[/QUOTE]

I sense an insult to Southerners is soon to follow.

Jets Insider VIP
    Countryfolk really don't need Long Islanders to defend them.

Really.

They don't.

[QUOTE=crasherino;2795157]I guess my question is....where would that knowledge you speak of manifest itself? In the questions posed to the candidates? I'm guessing you'd see the same fluff.

[B]and in reading some of your other replies, your objections seem to relate more to the format than the venue[/B].[/QUOTE]

You are partially right. I do want the venue changed,. But also the format.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2795165]How long did you live in St. Louis Ken, to provide this insight into their (in your view) apparent ignorance of all things?

The irony, of course, is that you do not seem to understand the difference between Republicans and Democrats in St. Louis.[/QUOTE]

How long have you lived in NYC, Boston, and SF???

That is irrelevant.

Knowing the difference in Republicans/Dems in what is essentially fly over country is not costing this nation billions of dollars and thousands of lives. Your comparison makes no sense

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2795181]How long have you lived in NYC, Boston, and SF???

That is irrelevant.

Knowing the difference in Republicans/Dems in what is essentially fly over country is not costing this nation billions of dollars and thousands of lives. Your comparison makes no sense[/QUOTE]

I guess some people simply cannot admit when they're wrong.

You were and are wrong to look down your nose at St. Louis as somehow less than you. Your disdain for your fellow Americans, and your arrogance and self-importance, in this thread is obvious.

You were wrong about the political affiliation of St. Louis, stunningly so.

And you are wrong to claim the debate was what it was because it was in St. Luois, and not in NY, Boston or San Fransisco.

The only thing that doesn't make sense in this thread is trying to have a civil conversation with you. You've stated clearly that you want a Liberal Democrat Only Town Hall, and that anyone who disagrees with you is some sort of uninformed, uneducated yokel for the meaningless middle of "flyover" country.

Oh, and I lived in NY for ~15 years. Thanks for asking.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2795203]I guess some people simply cannot admit when they're wrong.

You were and are wrong to look down your nose at St. Louis as somehow less than you. Your disdain for your fellow Americans, and your arrogance and self-importance, in this thread is obvious.

You were wrong about the political affiliation of St. Louis, stunningly so.

And you are wrong to claim the debate was what it was because it was in St. Luois, and not in NY, Boston or San Fransisco.

The only thing that doesn't make sense in this thread is trying to have a civil conversation with you. You've stated clearly that you want a Liberal Democrat Only Town Hall, and that anyone who disagrees with you is some sort of uninformed, uneducated yokel for the meaningless middle of "flyover" country.

Oh, and I lived in NY for ~15 years. Thanks for asking.[/QUOTE]

Ok i was wrong about St Louis . I lumped all of Missouri into one. Big friggin deal. Where did i say i want a Liberal Democrat Only Town Hall. You say i clearly stated it. So please show me. Ooooooops! Your wrong Warfish. Your wrong!!

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2794746]After watching yesterdays debate i couldnt help but wonder why in the world did McCain push for townhall style debates. How could he or anyone on his staff think this is a strength. The man looked awful. I felt really bad for him everytime he got up and walked around. I mean he looked really old and decrepid. Forget about the fact that he absolutely sucks as a debater (not that Obama is so great) , but his physical appearance looks, well ....sad. It would be in his best interest if he stood behind a podium to hide himself as much as possible.

Also, why do townhall debates always take place in these hick republican predominant cities?? Why for once cant we have a town hall debate (at least one) in NYC or Boston or San Francisco?? Im sure McCain would never agree to it (hell, he wont even show up on a real Left leaning news program like Rachel Maddows show).[/QUOTE]

[i]Forget the fact he sucks as a debator[/i]

Why, because Obama is your boy and you are impartial anyway?

He had both of his arms broken as a POW and they weren't reset correctly, it's not that he's old and decrepit.

Jesus, the libs will find ANYTHING to wave their pon poms about.

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2795181]How long have you lived in NYC, Boston, and SF???

That is irrelevant.

Knowing the difference in Republicans/Dems in what is essentially fly over country is not costing this nation billions of dollars and thousands of lives. Your comparison makes no sense[/QUOTE]

And you would be wrong

Libs are quick to blame the economy on Republicans, just because Bush is a Republican

You can hate war all you want, but it's funny how ignorant people are and quickly forget that it is why this country is the greatest on the planet, and that they have the freedoms they do.

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;2795251]Why, because Obama is your boy and you are impartial anyway?

He had both of his arms broken as a POW and they weren't reset correctly, it's not that he's old and decrepit.

Jesus, the libs will find ANYTHING to wave their pon poms about.[/QUOTE]

You're saying that McCain didn't look old and decrepit on that stage in that format in comparison to Obama?

[quote]You can hate war all you want, but it's funny how ignorant people are and quickly forget that it is why this country is the greatest on the planet, and that they have the freedoms they do.[/quote]

Is our country the greatest on the planet because Bush threw a dart at a map of the Middle East and it landed on Iraq, [b]or[/b] are liberals against our country having a military?