Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Obama should push for more Townhall Debates

[QUOTE=Ciaran;2795262]You're saying that McCain didn't look old and decrepit on that stage in that format in comparison to Obama?

Is our country the greatest on the planet because Bush threw a dart at a map of the Middle East and it landed on Iraq, [b]or[/b] are liberals against our country having a military?[/QUOTE]

He looked old because he's 74, and like a person who had both arms broken, my brother-in-law looks the same way, and he's 27.

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2795249]Ok i was wrong about St Louis . I lumped all of Missouri into one. Big friggin deal.[/quote]

Not really a big deal, no. I certainly did not learn anything new about you based on this assuption and error on your part.

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2795249]Where did i say i want a Liberal Democrat Only Town Hall. You say i clearly stated it. So please show me. Ooooooops! Your wrong Warfish. Your wrong!![/QUOTE]

Right here:

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2795153]The point of having it in NYC/Boston/SF is you are more likely to find some cosmopolitan people who have left there burb more than a handful of times who might actually understand the difference between a Kurd, Sunni and Shia in Iraq and who know that Afghanistan does not neighbor Iraq. You know people who are not turned off by the European way of life and who dont think being French is a necessarily a negative thing. People who were embarassed by the freedom fries and cringe at the though of naming the WTC replacement the Freedom Tower or who cringe whenever they here the term islamofascist or laugh when someone tells them the terrorists hate us because of our freedoms and way of life.[/QUOTE]

Given your long history here, it's pretty clear which of the two parties partisans your post above best describes in the "Ken" worldview.

It's ok Ken.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2795249]Ok i was wrong about St Louis . I lumped all of Missouri into one. Big friggin deal. Where did i say i want a Liberal Democrat Only Town Hall. You say i clearly stated it. So please show me. Ooooooops! Your wrong Warfish. Your wrong!![/QUOTE]

You're not helping the liberal cause here, Ken. You were wrong with your generalities (as generalities usually are) and Warfish called you on it.

There're better arguments to pursue than the one you made.

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;2795252]And you would be wrong

Libs are quick to blame the economy on Republicans, just because Bush is a Republican

You can hate war all you want, but it's funny how ignorant people are and quickly forget that it is why this country is the greatest on the planet, and that they have the freedoms they do.[/QUOTE]

You're not helping the conservative cause either.

Plus, speak to Jetswin, Warfish, Ches, and the other mods here. Calling people ignorant because they disagree with your position is not welcomed here in the "kindler, gentler" more civil Political Forum.

[QUOTE=SMC;2795300]There're better arguments to pursue than the one you made.[/QUOTE]

Well put.

Of course, whats funny is I agree completely with the general vibe of Ken's position, that we should really force our leaders to answer to us in these debates, via real, honest, tough-unscripted-questioning style "Town Hall"'s.

I just don;t blame St. Luois for this problem, nor do I think that they would be inherantly better if held in New York instead.

It's not the location, it's the political parties protectionism of their candidates, and the lack of accountabillity of the two parties to answer to the people in the debates.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2795314]Well put.

Of course, whats funny is I agree completely with the general vibe of Ken's position, that we should really force our leaders to answer to us in these debates, via real, honest, tough-unscripted-questioning style "Town Hall"'s.

I just don;t blame St. Luois for this problem, nor do I think that they would be inherantly better if held in New York instead.

It's not the location, it's the political parties protectionism of their candidates, and the lack of accountabillity of the two parties to answer to the people in the debates.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

You're last parapraph nails the problem. It's the parties that are at fault. Both sides were terrified of a mistake, they decided to do a "reality TV" version of a town hall debate. At the very least there should have been follow up questions and responses allowed. Of the 3 debates, I liked the format of the first best because there was the possibility of direct engagement.

I think all debates should be that with both sides getting 2 bites of the apple and having direct interaction (that is, there's the original question, response, counter-response, then counter-counter response).

Veteran
    Obviously McCain was fooled into thinking he was good at town halls. Probably because him and his campaign weren't the ones deciding who could be in the invite-only audience this time.