Thread: Obama bums cigarettes on campaign trail

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Obama bums cigarettes on campaign trail

Now, I'm sure some of our posters would say this means he is somehow in favor of "free handouts", "entitlements", or needs substances in order to cope, etc. but I wouldn't do that just like I wouldn't point to a strange accent indicating someone might be a fraud. It is what it is. This is simply funny, interesting, or maybe just strange. But, whatever!

[QUOTE][B]Obama Admits Bumming Cigarettes on the Campaign Trail[/B]

Barack Obama says in an interview with Men's Health magazine that he has bummed cigarettes "a couple of times" along the campaign trail.

AP

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

NEW YORK -- Barack Obama says he wishes he had more time for staying fit. And the Democratic presidential candidate admits that he still occasionally smokes a cigarette.

"Most of my workouts have to come before my day starts," Obama told the magazine Men's Health in an interview for its November issue. "There's always a trade-off between sleep and working out. Usually I get in about 45 minutes, six days a week. I'll lift one day, do cardio the next."

If he had the time, Obama said, he would spend 90 minutes working out.

Quitting smoking didn't create "huge withdrawal symptoms," the Illinois senator said, partly because he smoked only seven or eight cigarettes a day at his peak. His wife, Michelle, pressured him to quit, he said.

Obama's advice for those trying to kick the habit? "Eliminate certain key connections -- that first cigarette in the morning, or after a meal, or with a drink," he said. "If you can eliminate those triggers, that should help."

Obama said he's bummed a cigarette a couple of times during the campaign.

"But I figure, seeing as I'm running for president, I need to cut myself a little slack," he said.

Obama said when he told daughters Sasha and Malia that he was running for president, they asked whether the "secret people" -- his Secret Service detail -- would be following them around all the time.

"And I told them, well, not right away," he said. "They've adjusted wonderfully. And I've tried to make sure that they haven't had to participate too much in the political process."

[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2794813]Now, I'm sure some of our posters would say this means he is somehow in favor of "free handouts", "entitlements", or needs substances in order to cope, etc. but I wouldn't do that just like I wouldn't point to a strange accent indicating someone might be a fraud. It is what it is. This is simply funny, interesting, or maybe just strange. But, whatever![/QUOTE]

The cynic in me thinks this leaked in order to help him in North Carolina.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's far better to be honest about it rather than some paperazzi situation where he says he's smoke free but they got a pic of him smoking from photogs hiding in the bushes

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    But what does his body language say? :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2794819]The cynic in me thinks this leaked in order to help him in North Carolina.[/QUOTE]

Ha! Some serious Obama strategery at work.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2794831]Ha! Some serious Obama strategery at work.[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of votes on Tobacco Road!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Did he bum one from Ricky Williams?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sure he will file a lawsuit if he contracts some smoking related disease...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I would think that campaigning for President would be one of the worst times to quit smoking. Of course, actually being President would be rather stressful as well. I guess that's the problem, there's no good time to quit

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't care about this.

In fact, this thread has made me want to light up.
    Last edited by SanAntonio_JetFan; 10-08-2008 at 03:08 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    From personal experience, it is MUCH easier to quit when you have to resort to bumming cigs instead of having a pack of your own.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;2795137]I would think that campaigning for President would be one of the worst times to quit smoking. Of course, actually being President would be rather stressful as well. I guess that's the problem, there's no good time to quit[/QUOTE]

The Martin Sheen president character on the West Wing used to light up every now and then.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2795160]The Martin Sheen president character on the West Wing used to light up every now and then.[/QUOTE]

When I was an intern in DC, my buddy worked for Mike McCurry. We would watch Met games on the 10 TVs in McCurry's office when and Clinton were out of town. That office reeked of smoke. If I'm not mistaken, Gore was an occasional (or more) smoker as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;2795137]I would think that campaigning for President would be one of the worst times to quit smoking. [/QUOTE]

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue."

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a260/DarthTracy/MyStuff/Airplane23.gif[/IMG]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    i wonder if we ever had a prez that toked a couple of hits in the white house after hours?

i would have no problem if he did... as i think it should be legalized to begin with.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    he should legalize the sale of loosies

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Could you imagine if you waited on line for hours to get into a campaign event....you fought your way to the front and after the event, you have the crazy luck to actually shake his hand, and while greeting you, Obama notices that you have a pack of Camel Lights in your shirt pocket and he hits you up for a smoke....or, better yet, you get to light one up with him?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He smokes?....Oh boy, you libs can't possibly vote for him now....he's gonna get cancer and die in office....Biden can't possibly run this country.

McCain doesn't smoke and will probably live long enough to piss on Osama's grave.

:cool:

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2794905]Did he bum one from Ricky Williams?[/QUOTE]

Don't bogart that joint my friend..........