Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kids say darndest things

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

kids say darndest things

just thought this was interesting

[quote]
    [url]http://blackwellpublishing.com/press/pressitem.asp?ref=1909[/url]

[b]Many Children Attribute White Male Monopoly on White House to Discrimination[/b]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Austin, TX – October 8, 2008 – A new study in the journal Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy explored elementary-school-age children’s views about the role of race and gender in the U.S. presidency, Results indicated that most children are aware that women and people of color have been excluded from the presidency. Further, many children attributed the lack of female, African American, and Latino presidents to gender and racial discrimination.

In the year prior to Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama’s bids to become the Democratic nominee, researchers interviewed children between five and ten years of age from various ethnic and racial backgrounds to assess their knowledge of and attributions for the lack of female, African American, and Latino presidents.

The study found that most children endorsed the belief that the presidency should be filled by people of both genders and diverse races and ethnicities. At the same time, most children reported that women and people of color have been excluded from the role

[b]Surprisingly, when asked about potential legal barriers, one in four children stated that it was currently against the law for women, African Americans, or Latinos to be President. Many children also blamed those who have been excluded, arguing that they lack the necessary attributes to hold the position, including the fact women aren’t as smart as men.[/b]

[b]ls who attributed the lack of female presidents to discrimination were more likely to report that they could not really become president, even if they were interested in doing so. In contrast, among African American children, attributions to discrimination were associated with an increased interest in becoming president,[/b]haps, Bigler said, as a result of the long and well-known history of African-Americans’ struggle to achieve equality in the United States,”

“Our research suggests that the U.S. presidency is a high-profile instance of gender and racial exclusion that is well known by young children and may shape their expectations concerning gender and race relations and discrimination,” the authors note. “If Obama loses his bid for the presidency, there may be little change in children's attitudes, but it could fuel their perception that American voters are racially prejudiced," Bigler said. "In contrast, if Obama wins children may believe that exclusionary laws and racial prejudice no longer shape the outcomes of the presidential elections.”

This study is published in the October 2008 issue of Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy. Media wishing to receive a PDF of this article may contact [email]journalnews@bos.blackwellpublishing.net[/email].

Rebecca Bigler is affiliated with The University of Texas at Austin and can be reached for questions at [email]bigler@psy.utexas.edu[/email].

Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy (ASAP) is an electronic journal of the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (SPSSI). It is published in print once a year, in December. The journal is an outlet for timely and innovative psychological and related social science scholarship with implications for social action and policy. ASAP provides a forum for publishing new work as well as discussion on alternative approaches to a variety of important and current social problems. Encouraging timely publication of well-written, peer-reviewed work, ASAP facilitates communication between social science researchers and practitioners and policy makers, as well as with the public as a whole.

[/quote]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like our educational dollars aren't doing what they should.

I'm sure the teachers union will step up to their role in the fact that school age kids think there are legal impediments for certain groups.

The conclusion horrifying. Basically it is saying that we shouldn't teach our children any better, but we should elect an african american to cure our educational issues.:eek:

WOW!!

I wish the SPSSI didn't get public money, but I am sure they do.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;2794876]Looks like our educational dollars aren't doing what they should.

I'm sure the teachers union will step up to their role in the fact that school age kids think there are legal impediments for certain groups.

The conclusion horrifying. Basically it is saying that we shouldn't teach our children any better, but we should elect an african american to cure our educational issues.:eek:

WOW!!

I wish the SPSSI didn't get public money, but I am sure they do.[/QUOTE]

Good thing a large portion of our public educators are making in excess of $100k (at least in Westchester) I can see that money is going to good use.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2794883]Good thing a large portion of our public educators are making in excess of $100k (at least in Westchester) I can see that money is going to good use.[/QUOTE]

Here on LI as well.

That's why my kids go to parochial school.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;2794892]Here on LI as well.

That's why my kids go to parochial school.[/QUOTE]

My son just started Fordham Prep for HS this fall. :cool:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2794883]Good thing a large portion of our public educators are making in excess of $100k (at least in Westchester) I can see that money is going to good use.[/QUOTE]

100k in Westchester means you're in the poor house.

Or at least that's what I was told by the elitists in this forum told me before...you know, when I said people that make over 250k shouldn't *****.

;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;2794876]Looks like our educational dollars aren't doing what they should.

[/QUOTE]

it should be noted that only 1 in 4 kids thought it was illegal for a non-white - not a huge number - also note this study makes no conclusions about teachers

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I must have missed where it said this is limited to public elementary school children.

Education is failing miserably in this country, but if you think for one second that much of this doesn't stem from racism and sexism in the household, you are not living in reality.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2794908]it should be noted that only 1 in 4 kids thought it was illegal for a non-white - not a huge number - also note this study makes no conclusions about teachers[/QUOTE]

Of course not. Why should anyone be held accountable. Better that an election fix things?:eek:

And you don't think that 25% of children is a huge number to believe non-white can't be president?

I find it appalling.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2794903]100k in Westchester means you're in the poor house.

Or at least that's what I was told by the elitists in this forum told me before...you know, when I said people that make over 250k shouldn't *****.

;)[/QUOTE]

Still a lot of money for 8-3, 9 months a year. You are right though 100k does not go far in Westchester, however I'd like to think my tax dollars were being wisely spent.

I don't want to beat up teachers though, I do respect their efforts, I just felt the story needed more explanation than bias at home.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;2794913]I must have missed where it said this is limited to public elementary school children.

Education is failing miserably in this country, but if you think for one second that much of this doesn't stem from racism and sexism in the household, you are not living in reality.[/QUOTE]

The second part of the statement is clearly a household issue, the legal impediment is an educational one.

The view toward public education is my personal one.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clearly Education, both at school and at home, must be looked at if 25% of children think as this article claims.

Some of it is simply education (teaching what is or isn't legal).

Some of it, I'm sad to say, is much harder to address.....the idea that minorities feel they ARE decriminated against in such things as running for office.

I don't personally believe it (I'd be happy to vote for a minority if one shared my ideals/positions), but that doesn't change that a considerable portion of minorities do.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! In the boroughs, most are lucky to make half that amount.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2794934]Clearly Education, both at school and at home, must be looked at if 25% of children think as this article claims.

Some of it is simply education (teaching what is or isn't legal).

Some of it, I'm sad to say, is much harder to address.....the idea that minorities feel they ARE decriminated against in such things as running for office.

I don't personally believe it (I'd be happy to vote for a minority if one shared my ideals/positions), but that doesn't change that a considerable portion of minorities do.[/QUOTE]

it also doesn't change that a considerable portion of the populace may not vote for a minority...

funny, I don't remember where I read this but it makes me think of a quote...which I may be paraphrasing..

people in groups are stupid, people as individuals are not

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;2794915][B]Still a lot of money for 8-3[/B], 9 months a year. You are right though 100k does not go far in Westchester, however I'd like to think my tax dollars were being wisely spent.

I don't want to beat up teachers though, I do respect their efforts, I just felt the story needed more explanation than bias at home.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but a teachers work isnt just 8-3. Thats just the time she spends in the classroom. Most teachers i know dont leave work before 5 or 6 and spend several hours at home making lesson plans, grading papers etc.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;2794941]it also doesn't change that a considerable portion of the populace may not vote for a minority...[/QUOTE]

No disagreement here, some people will not vote for people who do not look like them. I think we would just disagree on how large a percentage of the population truly feels that way (would vote for a same-race candidate who disagrees with them over a different-race candidate who agrees with them).

But this also works both ways. Some people will vote for a minority candidate specificly because he is a minority as well.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2794942]Sorry, but a teachers work isnt just 8-3. Thats just the time she spends in the classroom. Most teachers i know dont leave work before 5 or 6 and spend several hours at home making lesson plans, grading papers etc.[/QUOTE]

I slanted what I wrote obviously, but there is no doubt that between salary and benefits teaching is a great job. Of course you like to think that some still enjoy teaching kids, and I find that is true in my school district for the most part, the problem is those two items (salary and benefits) are taking up way too much of school budgets.

btw, your prior post re: borough educators is true I believe, the pay scale is much higher in Westchester and on Long Island.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;2794914]Of course not. Why should anyone be held accountable. Better that an election fix things?:eek:

And you don't think that 25% of children is a huge number to believe non-white can't be president?

I find it appalling.[/QUOTE]

considering there has never been a non white or female President - ever - and that 5-10 year olds are little mush brains it's not that appalling. We should be happy the number isn't higher.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2794958]considering there has never been a non white or female President - ever - and that 5-10 year olds are little mush brains it's not that appalling. We should be happy the number isn't higher.[/QUOTE]

Do you believe the pending Obama election will cure some of this Bit?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2794951]No disagreement here, some people will not vote for people who do not look like them. I think we would just disagree on how large a percentage of the population truly feels that way (would vote for a same-race candidate who disagrees with them over a different-race candidate who agrees with them).

But this also works both ways. Some people will vote for a minority candidate specificly because he is a minority as well.[/QUOTE]

I think you make sense here...

I think when all is said and done the people who vote for and against Obama purely in regards to race will be a wash....