Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Konerko a decent 1B option for the Yanks/Mets

All League

Is Konerko a decent 1B option for the Yanks/Mets

Now I am a Yankee fan, so I will consider this from a Yankee position, although, if the Mets trade Delgado...they could feasibly be in the market for a relatively cheap 1B fix (when I say cheap, I mean as far as what you may have to give up to get Konerko)

As far as the Yankees go, I think Konerko would be a good fit, his numbers were down this year, but he was not healthy, and he seemed to get better as the year goes on. He hit 22 HR all season, but 13 of those were in Aug and Sept.

He also performed well in the playoff series against the Rays hitting 2 HR in 4 games with an avg above .300 and a .789 OPS.

He seems to be the right kind of player as far as his commitment and attitude.

This could be a situation of trading a spare part for a spare part (Damon or Matsui or something along those lines for Konerko) also he is going to make, I think 24mil over the next 2 seasons. 12 mil a year seems doable as far as the Yanks payroll goes, and would be cheaper and a better defensive player than Giambi.

He is normally durable, since I think this is the first year he went on the disabled list.

If the Yanks could get him and he played above average defense with lets say a .260-.270/25-30/90-100 type of year, would he help the Yankees?

It also seems like the CHISOX have a glut of guys who do the same thing with Thome, Swisher, and Konerko.

So, what do people think of Paul Konerko?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    Now I am a Yankee fan, so I will consider this from a Yankee position, although, if the Mets trade Delgado...they could feasibly be in the market for a relatively cheap 1B fix (when I say cheap, I mean as far as what you may have to give up to get Konerko)

As far as the Yankees go, I think Konerko would be a good fit, his numbers were down this year, but he was not healthy, and he seemed to get better as the year goes on. He hit 22 HR all season, but 13 of those were in Aug and Sept.

He also performed well in the playoff series against the Rays hitting 2 HR in 4 games with an avg above .300 and a .789 OPS.

He seems to be the right kind of player as far as his commitment and attitude.

This could be a situation of trading a spare part for a spare part (Damon or Matsui or something along those lines for Konerko) also he is going to make, I think 24mil over the next 2 seasons. 12 mil a year seems doable as far as the Yanks payroll goes, and would be cheaper and a better defensive player than Giambi.

He is normally durable, since I think this is the first year he went on the disabled list.

If the Yanks could get him and he played above average defense with lets say a .260-.270/25-30/90-100 type of year, would he help the Yankees?

It also seems like the CHISOX have a glut of guys who do the same thing with Thome, Swisher, and Konerko.

So, what do people think of Paul Konerko?
    I personally like Konerko. The question is wiould he be willing to move to DH in 2 years.

The problem is he wouldn't be cheap, the Yankees would give him a large contract, which is what our problems are. I rather give a large contract to a young stud like Mark Teixiera.

Rookie
    Delgado > Konerko

Veteran
    I actually was thinking about this myself the other day, I definitely think it is an OPTION, he would be cheaper than signing Tex and we wouldn't be stuck with him for more thant 2 or 3 years. He signed a 5 yr 60 million dollar contract after the 05 season...

Hall Of Fame
    Konerko is a decent suggestion, but you're not getting him for Damon or Matsui.

You have to realize that just like us, no one wants our junk. Teams are not falling all over themselves to take on aging, high-priced guys who can no longer play in the field effectively.

Practice Squad
    I don't care what the Mets do. But as a Yankee fan....I'll pass on Konerko. We have no need for an aging, breaking down vet who is a 1B/DH hybrid. No thanks.

Veteran
    He is a cheaper, short term OPTION..thats it..as mentioned in another thread I would prefer they call SD and ask about Gonzalez or Kouzmanoff..

Hall Of Fame
    Delgado makes more sense for the Mets then Konerko, especially with the reasonable 1 year option w/ Delgado.

He could be a decent option for the Yankees though. Shouldn't cost a ton in terms of prospects, but I don't get the feel the White Sox are interested in taking back a Damon or Matsui-like contract. I could be wrong though.

All Pro
    I would prefer not too. I don't think trading a Matsui or Damon would get the deal done. I would think the Sox want some prospects in return and I wouldn't be too thrilled about giving up our young talent for an aging player like Konerko. It's definitely not a horrible idea though.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    The question is wiould he be willing to move to DH in 2 years.
    Who cares? That would be another team's problem. His contract expires in 2 years.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    I personally like Konerko. The question is wiould he be willing to move to DH in 2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    The problem is he wouldn't be cheap, the Yankees would give him a large contract, which is what our problems are. I rather give a large contract to a young stud like Mark Teixiera.
    well, he is under contract for I think 24mil for the next 2 years, so 12mil a year, so what he does in 2 years and the Yankees would not be under any obligation to give him a large contract.

Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    I actually was thinking about this myself the other day, I definitely think it is an OPTION, he would be cheaper than signing Tex and we wouldn't be stuck with him for more thant 2 or 3 years. He signed a 5 yr 60 million dollar contract after the 05 season...
    right, I just don't see what else is out there besides bidding for Tex, and I don't like commiting the number of years the Yanks would have to..Konerko gives them 2 years to find a long term option.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    Konerko is a decent suggestion, but you're not getting him for Damon or Matsui.

You have to realize that just like us, no one wants our junk. Teams are not falling all over themselves to take on aging, high-priced guys who can no longer play in the field effectively.

although, right now, Konerko is their junk..and we would be paying him. Not saying Damon or Matsui would do it, but I do not think you would have to give up much as far as prospects go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Delgado makes more sense for the Mets then Konerko, especially with the reasonable 1 year option w/ Delgado.

He could be a decent option for the Yankees though. Shouldn't cost a ton in terms of prospects, but I don't get the feel the White Sox are interested in taking back a Damon or Matsui-like contract. I could be wrong though.
    with Delgado, I was just thinking that if the Mets traded him, which could be a good idea given that he may be at the highest level of value now than at any other time with the Mets, a fallback option could be Konerko. If you could get a MLB ready pitcher or reliever and a high level prospect trading Delgado could be a real good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I would prefer not too. I don't think trading a Matsui or Damon would get the deal done. I would think the Sox want some prospects in return and I wouldn't be too thrilled about giving up our young talent for an aging player like Konerko. It's definitely not a horrible idea though.
    eh, I don't think the white sox can ask for much, he is older, due 24 million, coming off injury, and not putting up the 40HR numbers like he was when he signed.

Middle of the road prospects or a MLB ready guy.

Hall Of Fame
    with Delgado, I was just thinking that if the Mets traded him, which could be a good idea given that he may be at the highest level of value now than at any other time with the Mets, a fallback option could be Konerko. If you could get a MLB ready pitcher or reliever and a high level prospect trading Delgado could be a real good idea.
    Even in that scenario, I don't see it being worthwhile. You would have to give up something decent for Konerko, essentially countering any value you would recieve from Delgado. You're better off just signing/trading for what pieces you need and keeping Delgado, at least in my eyes.

All League
    Kind of OT, but when is Ryan Howard's contract up.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he can't become a free agent until after the 2011 season.

All League
    Delgado > Konerko

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AG View Post
    Delgado > Konerko
    Agreed. I don't think anybody can argue that right now.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Agreed. I don't think anybody can argue that right now.
    I bet Konerko (and his agent) would

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    3 more years, not sure he's the best person to target though when he'll be 32 years old in the 2012 season, or presumably his first season with his new team. Prince Fielder is a better target

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    He is a cheaper, short term OPTION..thats it..as mentioned in another thread I would prefer they call SD and ask about Gonzalez or Kouzmanoff..

Kouz would be a decent option and obtainable as SD could move Headley to 3B.
    Gonzalez would immediately become the Yankees 2nd best player and I do not think the Yanks would part with enough talent to garner the Padres interest.

I was talking to a friend who is a Yank fan last night and we thought a Cano and Kennedy for Clint Barmes and Garret Atkins might be a nice trade for both teams.