Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting take on Palin by a famous feminist

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting take on Palin by a famous feminist

[url]http://www.salon.com/opinion/paglia/2008/10/08/palin/[/url]

and Obama supporter, Camille Paglia...Not every liberal democratic woman is insulted by the selection of Sarah Palin, even if she won't be getting her vote.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I liked this:

[B]One of the most idiotic allegations batting around out there among urban media insiders is that Palin is “dumb.” Are they kidding? What level of stupidity is now par for the course in those musty circles? (The value of Ivy League degrees, like sub-prime mortgages, has certainly been plummeting. As a Yale Ph.D., I have a perfect right to my scorn.) People who can’t see how smart Palin is are trapped in their own narrow parochialism — the tedious, hackneyed forms of their upper-middle-class syntax and vocabulary.[/B]

The best part is that even though she disagrees with Palin, and won't vote for her, she doesn't need to tear her apart.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;2795542]I liked this:

[B]One of the most idiotic allegations batting around out there among urban media insiders is that Palin is “dumb.” Are they kidding? What level of stupidity is now par for the course in those musty circles? (The value of Ivy League degrees, like sub-prime mortgages, has certainly been plummeting. As a Yale Ph.D., I have a perfect right to my scorn.) People who can’t see how smart Palin is are trapped in their own narrow parochialism — the tedious, hackneyed forms of their upper-middle-class syntax and vocabulary.[/B]

The best part is that even though she disagrees with Palin, and won't vote for her, she doesn't need to tear her apart.[/QUOTE]

<sigh>

I know it's "cool" to bash people with degrees from Harvard and Yale...trust me, I'm right there with you. I think people who go to college tend to be just as dumb as the general population. And I know it's "cool" to laugh at Palin's apparent lack of mental inquisitiveness a la George W. And I know how the right likes to point out that Palin's detractors are elitists east coast college beatniks.

But what's the excuse when a high school dropout like myself, kicked out in 10th grade, ex-plumber, nose picking, one junk car in front yard and tranny/engine in back yard, beer swillin', herb smokin' fool as myself also thinks she is dumber than a post? Am I also an elitist, Yale graduating East coast scum?

I'd like to know...because if I am...I should probably stop buying box wine and drinking it from Tupperware cups when I have "company"...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You think she's dumb because you watched heavily edited interviews with Gibson & Couric? You thought she came across as dumb at the RNC convention or debate with Joe Biden? In that debate who was less accurate with their statements? You have zero basis for calling her dumb....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    she's like Bush. dumb as a fox - pretends to be dumb but the truth is she's not - but the expectations are lowered - meanwhile she is like Bush in that doesn't give an eff about real people even though she pretends she does.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2795850]she's like Bush. dumb as a fox - pretends to be dumb but the truth is she's not - but the expectations are lowered - meanwhile she is like Bush in that doesn't give an eff about real people even though she pretends she does.[/QUOTE]

It's amazing how much insight into these people you have.

I betcha Obama really rings the bell on the 'I care about people' meter huh?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tucker134;2795814]You think she's dumb because you watched heavily edited interviews with Gibson & Couric? You thought she came across as dumb at the RNC convention or debate with Joe Biden? In that debate who was less accurate with their statements? You have zero basis for calling her dumb....[/QUOTE]

No, brother. I formed the opinion of her being dumb from comments on this site. I form all my political conclusions from the brilliant musings of fellow Jets fans. CNN, MSNBC, FOX. They all ain't got nothing on the "folks" here...:D

But really. Anyone who says their foreign policy experience was formed by being able to see Russia is...well...dumb. My uncle lives in Point Barrow. He can see Russia. Is he the next Henry Kissinger? I can see the moon. Does that make me an astrophysicist?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;2795856]It's amazing how much insight into these people you have.

I betcha Obama really rings the bell on the 'I care about people' meter huh?[/QUOTE]

why are you so concerned with me?

maybe you should ask yourself how a man you voted for twice turned out so bad

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2795804]<sigh>

I know it's "cool" to bash people with degrees from Harvard and Yale...trust me, I'm right there with you. I think people who go to college tend to be just as dumb as the general population. And I know it's "cool" to laugh at Palin's apparent lack of mental inquisitiveness a la George W. And I know how the right likes to point out that Palin's detractors are elitists east coast college beatniks.

But what's the excuse when a high school dropout like myself, kicked out in 10th grade, ex-plumber, nose picking, one junk car in front yard and tranny/engine in back yard, beer swillin', herb smokin' fool as myself also thinks she is dumber than a post? Am I also an elitist, Yale graduating East coast scum?

I'd like to know...because if I am...I should probably stop buying box wine and drinking it from Tupperware cups when I have "company"...[/QUOTE]

Well... and I don't mean this as a personal attack...if you're as messed up as you say you are in your post, are you really able to judge who's smart and who's dumb? Maybe you're mistaken. :D

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2795867]why are you so concerned with me?

maybe you should ask yourself how a man you voted for twice turned out so bad[/QUOTE]

When you post as if you know all the answers, why does it surprise you that someone calls you on it?

I know the answer. He governed like the wrong party. Even with the way he spent, the economy was not in bad shape until this bipartisan credit mess.
    I have no doubt that we would be in worse shape if Kerry won.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2795865]No, brother. I formed the opinion of her being dumb from comments on this site. I form all my political conclusions from the brilliant musings of fellow Jets fans. CNN, MSNBC, FOX. They all ain't got nothing on the "folks" here...:D

But really. Anyone who says their foreign policy experience was formed by being able to see Russia is...well...dumb. My uncle lives in Point Barrow. He can see Russia. Is he the next Henry Kissinger? I can see the moon. Does that make me an astrophysicist?[/QUOTE]

Everyone makes dumb moves, but she didn't get to be governor by being an airhead.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;2795897]When you post as if you know all the answers, why does it surprise you that someone calls you on it?

I know the answer. He governed like the wrong party. Even with the way he spent, the economy was not in bad shape until this bipartisan credit mess.
    I have no doubt that we would be in worse shape if Kerry won.[/QUOTE]

I thought Kerry did win? :D

Being the worlds policeman and pouring billions of dollars into a country that doesn't want you there anymore seems Republican (Iraq) as well as Democrat (Vietnam) to me.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;2795542]I liked this:

[B]One of the most idiotic allegations batting around out there among urban media insiders is that Palin is dumb. Are they kidding? What level of stupidity is now par for the course in those musty circles? (The value of Ivy League degrees, like sub-prime mortgages, has certainly been plummeting. As a Yale Ph.D., I have a perfect right to my scorn.) People who cant see how smart Palin is are trapped in their own narrow parochialism the tedious, hackneyed forms of their upper-middle-class syntax and vocabulary.[/B]

The best part is that even though she disagrees with Palin, and won't vote for her, she doesn't need to tear her apart.[/QUOTE]
    even though I'm a dem. I think that B. Obama is a fraudulent egomaniac and is hard to support. The answer to any vp candidate was Hillary, especially a woman running mate. Let's all go Monty Brewster and vote None of the above.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;2795892]Well... and I don't mean this as a personal attack...if you're as messed up as you say you are in your post, are you really able to judge who's smart and who's dumb? Maybe you're mistaken. :D[/QUOTE]

I would never misconstrue comments as "personal attacks". My skin is thick enough to weather comments on the InTeRnEtZ.

I'm not messed up. High school diplomas are overrated in my line of work. None of my employers ever cared if I passed 11th grade English...they cared if I could repair a boiler or a central air system.And yard cars are required by town ordinance in the podunk town I live in...:D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;2795897]When you post as if you know all the answers, why does it surprise you that someone calls you on it?[/quote]

Maybe you'd like it better if I posted a disclaimer before every post - Im not really sure of what Im about to say but im gonna say it anyway - yeah im sure if I acted like a b---h you would feel better about what I say. Maybe, it's not my tone, but rather you just can't process or stand the fact I am actually correct on some of these things I've said.

[QUOTE=Piper;2795897]
    I have no doubt that we would be in worse shape if Kerry won.[/QUOTE]

piper it's long past time you understood what the title of "worst President ever" means

it means a monkey could have governed better than Bush. Homeless can collector guy who flashes people on the street would have been better than Bush. Saying Kerry would be worse is you making yourself feel better, nothing more.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;2795904]Everyone makes dumb moves, but she didn't get to be governor by being an airhead.[/QUOTE]

Obama thinks there are more then 57 states, see's dead Vets in the audience during his Memorial Day speech and thinks kids with Asthma should get Breathalyzer tests ..Not to mention Bidden who asks wheelchair people to stand up etc..Dems should be the last to call anyone stupid..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2795850]she's like Bush. dumb as a fox - pretends to be dumb but the truth is she's not - but the expectations are lowered - meanwhile she is like Bush in that [B]doesn't give an eff about real people even though she pretends she does[/B].[/QUOTE]

You seem to have some deep-rooted hate issues. How you can blurt out arbitrary statements like the above amazes me.

"Obama does not care about the death of American citizens even though he pretends he does." Is that an equally fair statement?
    Last edited by jetstream23; 10-09-2008 at 11:57 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2795850]she's like Bush. dumb as a fox - pretends to be dumb but the truth is she's not - but the expectations are lowered - meanwhile she is like Bush in that [B]doesn't give an eff about real people [/B]even though she pretends she does.[/QUOTE]

Really? Last time I looked she had a son in Iraq...it doesn't get anymore "real" than that. But, you wouldn't know about that would you!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2796001]Maybe you'd like it better if I posted a disclaimer before every post - Im not really sure of what Im about to say but im gonna say it anyway - yeah im sure if I acted like a b---h you would feel better about what I say. Maybe, it's not my tone, but rather you just can't process or stand the fact I am actually correct on some of these things I've said.

piper it's long past time you understood what the title of "worst President ever" means

it means a monkey could have governed better than Bush. Homeless can collector guy who flashes people on the street would have been better than Bush. Saying Kerry would be worse is you making yourself feel better, nothing more.[/QUOTE]

Your laughable chararacterization of Bush notwithstanding, the worst things about him economically are things that Kerry would have pushed even farther, spending, cronyism. Along with tax increases that would have frozen up this economy long ago.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;2796106]Your laughable chararacterization of Bush notwithstanding, the worst things about him economically are things that Kerry would have pushed even farther, spending, cronyism. Along with tax increases that would have frozen up this economy long ago.[/QUOTE]

in some respects you might be right

but 1) there's no way to prove that

and 2) cronism isn't a Kerry characteristic