Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pelosi proposing a second stimulus package totalling $150B

Jets Insider VIP

Pelosi proposing a second stimulus package totalling $150B

[url]http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2008-10-08-pelosi_N.htm?csp=34[/url]

[QUOTE]DENVER (AP) House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Wednesday that a $150 billion economic stimulus plan is needed now because of the faltering economy and she may call the House into session after the election to pass it.
    Pelosi told reporters that the stock market meltdown, which has caused an estimated $2 trillion loss from pension funds, was a factor in her recommendation for a second stimulus bill. The first relief plan sent out $600-$1,200 tax rebate checks to most individuals and couples this year.

The House did pass a $61 billion economic aid proposal last month before lawmakers left Capitol Hill ahead of the Nov. 4 election. But a similar plan failed to pass the Senate. President Bush had promised a veto anyway.

If Democratic nominee Barack Obama wins the White House and if Capitol Hill Democrats make gains in the elections as well, it might be easier to pass a stimulus measure over dispirited Republicans, especially if the economy remains in big trouble.

The Senate is expected to be back at work after Election Day to complete a public lands bill and perhaps deal with other matters, such as a measure to extend unemployment benefits. The House also could return to consider a stimulus plan and additional issues in a lame-duck session before the newly elected Congress takes over in January.

[/QUOTE]

I can only imagine how and to whom she wants to hand out money this time.

"If Democratic nominee Barack Obama wins the White House and if Capitol Hill Democrats make gains in the elections as well, it might be easier to pass a stimulus measure over dispirited Republicans, especially if the economy remains in big trouble."

Told ya'. If Obama gets in there we're SCREWED! No Republican oversight at all. The additional $150 Billion - just the beginning.

:jets18

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

A few of her buddies must have missed out on the first one.

I can see that change a comin'...

I do not think either one of the nominees are going to save the day, but did you miss the debate the other night?
    McCain is promising 300 billion to buy up and renegotiate bad mortgages.

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2795803]"If Democratic nominee Barack Obama wins the White House and if Capitol Hill Democrats make gains in the elections as well, it might be easier to pass a stimulus measure over dispirited Republicans, especially if the economy remains in big trouble."

Told ya'. If Obama gets in there we're SCREWED! No Republican oversight at all. The additional $150 Billion - just the beginning.

:jets18[/QUOTE]

More Stimulus checks for all? Or a more "aimed" stimulus to certain industries or specific people?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

sometimes I wonder if I'd be better off unemployed :O

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Warfish;2795824]More Stimulus checks for all? Or a more "aimed" stimulus to certain industries or specific people?[/QUOTE]

From what I understand from your posts you are employed and have not overextended yourself.

Sorry. Nothing for you.

[QUOTE=cr726;2795821]I do not think either one of the nominees are going to save the day, but did you miss the debate the other night?
    McCain is promising 300 billion to buy up and renegotiate bad mortgages.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that money suppose to come out of the bail out package that already passed?

Bush hands out 100 B last spring, the board is in favor of it.

Bush and Pelosi proposes a 700 B bailout package for corporations, the board is wishy washy.

Pelosi proposes a 150 B bailout for people, the board is outraged.

for the record I'm against handing out money as a stimulus but no one was against it when Bush was doing it last summer.

here's the news there's almost no difference economically between the parties right now. get off your partisan high horses, the difference between these parties is window dressing.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2795803]"If Democratic nominee Barack Obama wins the White House and if Capitol Hill Democrats make gains in the elections as well, it might be easier to pass a stimulus measure over dispirited Republicans, especially if the economy remains in big trouble."

:jets18[/QUOTE]

Did you have the same complaint when Bush had the White House and the Republicans controlled Congress in 2000-2006?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;2795846]Bush hands out 100 B last spring, the board is in favor of it.

Bush and Pelosi proposes a 700 B bailout package for corporations, the board is wishy washy.

for the record I'm against handing out money as a stimulus but no one was against it when Bush was doing it last summer.

here's the news there's almost no difference economically between the parties right now. get off your partisan high horses, the difference between these parties is window dressing.[/QUOTE]

You're right. Both are governing like democrats and Obama promises more of the same.
    And there is a difference between money that goes directly back to taxpayers (whose money it is) and a bailout package loaded with goodies for politicians buddies.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Piper;2795854]You're right. Both are governing like democrats and Obama promises more of the same.
    And there is a difference between money that goes directly back to taxpayers (whose money it is) and a bailout package loaded with goodies for politicians buddies.[/QUOTE]

When the Republicans controlled Congress earlier this decade, they were spending money like drunken sailors as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=parafly;2795857]When the Republicans controlled Congress earlier this decade, they were spending money like drunken sailors as well.[/QUOTE]

I agree. There is no conservative representation.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;2795846]here's the news there's almost no difference economically between the parties right now. get off your partisan high horses, the difference between these parties is window dressing.[/QUOTE]

no argument here

Two words that should scare anyone: "Pelosi proposing".

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2795899]Two words that should scare anyone: "Pelosi proposing".[/QUOTE]

I'd rather have "Pelosi exposing". She has nice cans!! :D

[QUOTE=bitonti;2795846]Bush hands out 100 B last spring, the board is in favor of it.

here's the news there's almost no difference economically between the parties right now. get off your partisan high horses, the difference between these parties is window dressing.[/QUOTE]

It's easy to make broad, sweeping generalizations by classifying one opinion as "the board." What were you basing that off of, 6 replies?

I don't disagree with you about the difference between parties, but I'm getting tired of you complaining about the vast right-wing conspiracy on JI.

Bailouts, rescue packages, stimulus checks... ****, why don't we all just start calling each other Comrade?
    Last edited by JetsFan2012; 10-09-2008 at 10:06 AM.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2795935]
    Bailouts, rescue packages, stimulus checks... ****, why don't we all just start calling each other Comrade?[/QUOTE]

welcome to bailout nation

[QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2795899]Two words that should scare anyone: "Pelosi proposing".[/QUOTE]

Sounds like PP to me. The last package didn't work out so well.

[IMG]http://i.usatoday.net/news/_photos/2008/10/08/pelosix-large.jpg[/IMG]

A little early for a Halloween costume, isn't it? -- oh, God, never mind. That's her face. Yikes.
    Last edited by JetsFan2012; 10-09-2008 at 11:28 AM.