Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Experience Question - a useful analysis

All Pro

The Experience Question - a useful analysis

Here's an interesting look at the experience of previous presidents and how they ranked in history.... you might be surprised at the results....

[url]http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2008/Info/experience.html[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2796389]Here's an interesting look at the experience of previous presidents and how they ranked in history.... you might be surprised at the results....

[url]http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2008/Info/experience.html[/url][/QUOTE]

experience doesn't have anything to do with intellegence, and it's effect on judgement is a case by case scenario. yet, most people seem to equate these two traits with having experience.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=shuler82;2796400]experience doesn't have anything to do with intellegence, and it's effect on judgement is a case by case scenario. yet, most people seem to equate these two traits with having experience.[/QUOTE]

If experience in a leadership position over vast numbers of underlings in a crisis situation was a prime criterion for the presidency, then Ulysses S. Grant would win hands down. But for Eisenhower and Jackson, generals have faired relatively poorly in office, particularly if they were not experienced in the ways of Washington. I agree with you though. One has to look very closely at what consitutes experience. A label or credential does not equal talent.

The worst year of the Great Depression: 1933 - the first year of FDR's first term. The second worst year of the Great Depression: 1937 - the first year of FDR's second term. The Democrats ran most everything via the 'New Deal'.

That's where we're headed, my fellow JETS fans. Inexperienced Democrat President Barack 'Call Me If You Need Me' Obama in command. Along side the worst Democrat congress in US history!! There will be NO reason to invest. So, why be a Republican - just like the Great Depression!

Burned all my notebooks, what good are
    notebooks? They won't help me survive
    My chest is aching, burns like a furnace,
    the burning keeps me alive
    Try to stay healthy, physical fitness,
    don't want to catch no disease
    Try to be careful, don't take no chances,
    you better watch what you say.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco,
    this ain't no fooling around
    No time for dancing, or lovey dovey,
    I ain't got time for that now.

:jets18

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2796850]The worst year of the Great Depression: 1933 - the first year of FDR's first term. The second worst year of the Great Depression: 1937 - the first year of FDR's second term. The Democrats ran most everything via the 'New Deal'.

That's where we're headed, my fellow JETS fans. Inexperienced Democrat President Barack 'Call Me If You Need Me' Obama in command. Along side the worst Democrat congress in US history!! There will be NO reason to invest. So, why be a Republican - just like the Great Depression!

Burned all my notebooks, what good are
    notebooks? They won't help me survive
    My chest is aching, burns like a furnace,
    the burning keeps me alive
    Try to stay healthy, physical fitness,
    don't want to catch no disease
    Try to be careful, don't take no chances,
    you better watch what you say.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco,
    this ain't no fooling around

:jets18[/QUOTE]

george bush is pretty experienced at being president. maybe we should let him have a third term?

[QUOTE=shuler82;2796929]george bush is pretty experienced at being president. maybe we should let him have a third term?[/QUOTE]

Elections are always about the future.

Yup! Inexperienced Democrat Barack Obama, Democrat Nancy Pelosi, Democrat Harry Reid - now there's a triumvirate that has long-term economic failure written all over it.

Did I hear someone on CNBC today say 'stock market crash'? Yes, I sure did! :eek:

Seems I'm the only one who sees the advantages of checks-and-balances in federal government.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2796946]Elections are always about the future.

Yup! Inexperienced Democrat Barack Obama, Democrat Nancy Pelosi, Democrat Harry Reid - now there's a triumvirate that has long-term economic failure written all over it.

Did I hear someone on CNBC today say 'stock market crash'? Yes, I sure did! :eek:

Seems I'm the only one who sees the advantages of checks-and-balances in federal government.

Well, it will certainly mean that the democrats will have no excuse if their plans don't succeed. But the chicken-little routine is pretty hysterical. You act as if Obama will be locked in a room somewhere and have to make all of his decisions like he was playing a video game. What you are describing has no relationship to the reality of the office or how it works.

Can you actually defend the appointments GW made in his first 7 years of office? He chased out anyone who thought for themself.
    Cheney will go down as one of the most powerful VP's in America's history and history will not remember Dicky favorably.

People look at Ayers and won't remember Libby. Sad.

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2796946]Elections are always about the future.

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2796950]What you are describing has no relationship to the reality of the office or how it works.[/QUOTE]

It's well beyond the office of the Presidency. The stock market is tanking - you know that already, obviously.

It's going to be the 1930's all over again. FDR and the Democrats ran everything. The Republicans kept their money in their mattresses.

Barack Obama is a very intelligent person but Pelosi & Reid, with probably increased Democratic seats in the congress, aren't gonna let Barack deviate from a liberal economic agenda. With McCain that would never happen. Pelosi already wants another $150 billion 'stimulus' - this is just the beginning.

I honestly think it will be so bad that Republicans won't even bother with mid-term elections in 2010.

BOTH PARTIES are out of control. There is no difference between the two anymore. They spend like it is nothing.

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2796964]It's well beyond the office of the Presidency. The stock market is tanking - you know that already, obviously.

It's going to be the 1930's all over again. FDR and the Democrats ran everything. The Republicans kept their money in their mattresses.

Barack Obama is a very intelligent person but Pelosi & Reid, with probably increased Democratic seats in the congress, aren't gonna let Barack deviate from a liberal economic agenda. With McCain that would never happen. Pelosi already wants another $150 billion 'stimulus' - this is just the beginning.

I honestly think it will be so bad that Republicans won't even bother with mid-term elections in 2010.

[QUOTE=cr726;2796956]Can you actually defend the appointments GW made in his first 7 years of office?[/QUOTE]

I couldn't care less about George Bush, his appointments, or Sarah Palin, or Joe Biden.

Obama + Pelosi + Reid + $700 billion US government bailout + stock market crashing = economic suicide.

McCain + Pelosi + Reid + $700 billion US government bailout + stock market crashing = economic trauma, but definitely not suicide.

Obama and McCain both know the same amount the economy. It will come down who they listen to and who the appoint.
    McCain's first appointment is an embarrassment.

You are entitled to your opinion, but it is just that an opinion.

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2796967]I couldn't care less about George Bush, his appointments, or Sarah Palin, or Joe Biden.

Obama + Pelosi + Reid + $700 billion US government bailout + stock market crashing = economic suicide.

McCain + Pelosi + Reid + $700 billion US government bailout + stock market crashing = economic trauma, but definitely not suicide.

[QUOTE=cr726;2796982]McCain's first appointment is an embarrassment.[/QUOTE]

And Obama's first appointment, Joe Biden, has said at least three (3) times that Barack Obama is not ready to be President. Joe Biden is right! :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2796967]I couldn't care less about George Bush, his appointments...[/QUOTE]

Of course not...because experience only counts in your book when it supports the argument for YOUR party.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2797563]Of course not...because experience only counts in your book when it supports the argument for YOUR party.[/QUOTE]

The economy is CRASHING - 'Call Me If You Need Me'.

At the very least it shows Biden has his own ideas and his own mind. Biden was trying to win an election.

Obama needed someone with Foreign relations experience and his addressed that with his selection.

What was McCain trying to do with Palin?

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2797554]And Obama's first appointment, Joe Biden, has said at least three (3) times that Barack Obama is not ready to be President. Joe Biden is right! :yes:

All Pro
    I think my thread got hijacked. Hey, Albany, did you actually look at the attached link? You seem to have ignored it entirely and used the thread to wail about the evil trinity (Obama, Pelosi, Reid).... just curious what you thought of the data re experience.....;)

Veteran
    If you feel that way, then absolutely you should vote for McCain. It strikes me that you have no idea what you're talking about, other than some dogmatic belief that Democrats are somehow going to run the country into the ground. None of us really have any idea as to how things will play out with McCain or Obama at the helm. I seriously doubt that either pick will result in the collapse of the union, though.

Having said that, it would seem to me that McCain's response(s) to this crisis have been all over the place, and he seems to have no idea what to do. That doesn't do much to instill confidence in his ability to do anything constructive. Obama, at the very least, has been steady with his response. Having Warren Buffett supporting him doesn't hurt his image in my mind, either...

[QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2796967]I couldn't care less about George Bush, his appointments, or Sarah Palin, or Joe Biden.

Veteran
    yeah, sorry about that - I got caught up in the hijack as well.............. :O

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2797670]I think my thread got hijacked. Hey, Albany, did you actually look at the attached link? You seem to have ignored it entirely and used the thread to wail about the evil trinity (Obama, Pelosi, Reid).... just curious what you thought of the data re experience.....;)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2797670].. just curious what you thought of the data re experience.....;)[/QUOTE]

Sorry, LIL. Every time I see your name I'm reminded of that Irish bar on Main Street in Farmingdale. The fact that I don't remember the name of the bar is a good sign.

Anywho, I read the data on the link. FDR as number 2 is...I don't know even where to begin. FDR was a HORRIBLE President. The fact that the Great Depression lasted so long was squarely placed on the shoulders of FDR. He alienated the investor-business class so they said 'screw you, FDR, our money goes in our mattresses.' The USA under FDR was so woefully prepared for WWII it makes GWB's war in Iraq look like Heaven. When WWII broke out the US Army was still training with wooden play-rifles. At the time we had something like the 8th largest army in the world. Way behind Germany and Japan. We didn't even give our own soldiers real rifles to train with. Right up to the bombing of Pearl Harbor FDR was still trying to champion 'New Deal' policies. By then the Japanese were all over the Southern Pacific and Hitler was in probably 70% of Europe.

Wonder what kind of 'New Deal' President Barack 'Call Me If You Need Me' Obama is going to try to institute when the Great Depression II is here. Surely he'll have to have it approved by Pelosi & Reed. I wonder where the Republicans, what will be left of them after the global economy finally COLLAPSES, are going to put their money, with absolutely no money to make in the stock market! No 2010 meaningful mid-term elections it will be so bad.

John McCain is a career Naval officer. He turned down a promotion to Rear Admiral, the equivalent to a one-star Army, Marine, or Air Force General.

Why stay in college? Why go to night school?
    Gonna be different this time
    Can't write a letter, can't send a postcard,
    I can't write nothing at all.

LIFE DURING WAR TIME!