Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DOW In Freefall

Just in case, I'd say the smartest investment at this point are:

- A good rifle with plenty of ammo.

- A sturdy metal trash can, able to house nice size fires.

- A very nice tent.

All Pro
    Sorry, don't mean to be overly dramatic, but I am scared poopless right now, and I don't even have that much to lose in the market.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2796726]As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden.

In the garden, growth has it seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again.

There will be growth in the spring![/QUOTE]

:confused: You mean the business cycle?

sustained recessions are a possibility and to chalk it up as simply the business cycle is a bit naive... Our national debt is astronomical and the financial sector is going through a struggle i don't think America has seen since the banking panics of the 30s. Not saying this is the end of the world, but I think people need to brace for the fact that our economy may stagnate for the next few years, and that if we want to really be stable in the long-run we need to fix the system.

[QUOTE=Jets Voice of Reason;2796738]:confused: You mean the business cycle?
    [/QUOTE]

I can't take credit for that quote, it's from Being There a film by Peter Sellers. Watch it. Seriously.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2796764]I can't take credit for that quote, it's from Being There a film by Peter Sellers. Watch it. Seriously.[/QUOTE]

lol. What's it about.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jets Voice of Reason;2796766]lol. What's it about.[/QUOTE]

It predicts the Bush adminsitration, lol

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Smashmouth;2796573]Ill wait for it to bottom out then buy. Right now Im afraid to do anything other than buy gold or silver.

I was about to rent my home and buy another one but ill wait for that market to bottom out as well.[/QUOTE]
    Why didn't I think of that.

One question. How do you know when it's gonna bottom out?:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=bitonti;2796764]I can't take credit for that quote, it's from Being There a film by Peter Sellers. Watch it. Seriously.[/QUOTE]

The book is even better.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Timmy-y-y-y;2796792]Why didn't I think of that.

One question. How do you know when it's gonna bottom out?:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I think it's got another thousand points to go (the DOW). Which could very well be tomorrow.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2796726]As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden.

In the garden, growth has it seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again.

[B]There will be growth in the spring![/B][/QUOTE]

Ha. Nice. You don't know how true that possibly is. Third quarter of 2009 is actually when I think growth might return.

All Pro
    Jim Cramer was [I]very [/I]quite today.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    LOL...

This struck me as funny, who says McCain is out of touch?

[IMG]http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/4994/mccainqv6.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Timmy-y-y-y;2796792]Why didn't I think of that.

One question. How do you know when it's gonna bottom out?:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I use my studies [url]http://barchart.com/[/url] which are based on price and make my moves from there. Its very simple actully, if you stick to your studies and dont try to guess.

On barchart you can design your own studies maybe you can on other sites as well I just prefer barchart

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jets Voice of Reason;2796678]
    It starts with fiscal responsibility in the federal government. That doesn't mean raising taxes necessarily, but this country is driven by debt on all levels and that needs to stop. We need to cut back on spending. Whether that is pulling out of the war or cutting inefficient programs, something needs to be done.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'll go one further....it starts with the citizens being fiscally responsible. Perhaps all that spending and going into debt hasn't been such a grand idea for the world...

All Pro
    OMG the Nikkei is being obliterated. :eek:

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2796580]What are you optimistic about though?

I agree there is panic and it could be overdone. But the fear may not be irrational. GM likely is going out of business in the next 3 weeks IMO. It's not a bank, it's not a brokerage, it is a American icon that has fallen on hard time and is now priced lower than it was during the crash of 1929. [/QUOTE]

GM invested in obsolete manufacturing + inventory systems, and they let the Quality Revolution pass them by. Their industry evolved and they didn't go with the flow. They deserve to go out of business. That's the risk of competing.

Plus, unions may have given American workers great leverage, but they made it much more difficult for American mfring firms to compete globally.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Darth Vader;2797079]GM invested in obsolete manufacturing + inventory systems, and they let the Quality Revolution pass them by. Their industry evolved and they didn't go with the flow. They deserve to go out of business. That's the risk of competing.

[B]Plus, unions may have given American workers great leverage[/B], but they made it much more difficult for American mfring firms to compete globally.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much why our companies outsource jobs whenever they have the opportunity. Low skill labor is cheaper and about as productive.

[QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;2796799]The book is even better.[/QUOTE]

The main character in the book, "Gardner", doesn't have the slightest idea what he's talking about though. He is totally unaware that any of his statements about gardening (he's a semi-retarded former gardener) are being construed as on the economy.

That's the funny part. The sad part is that in real life, it doesn't work out like that.

[QUOTE=Jets Voice of Reason;2797081]Pretty much why our companies outsource jobs whenever they have the opportunity. Low skill labor is cheaper and about as productive.[/QUOTE]

unions were VERY effective earlier in the century, up until probably civil rights mvmnt.

but imo, these auto firms were living in the 1950's since 1950.

There was no way they'd be able to compete long into the future. Their plants were *no where* near capacity, and their products were sitting in lots.

They sat on unproductive fixed capital, with jobs they couldn't shed, and their products were getting severely outperformed by Japanese products.

These companies have been uninspiring for a LONG time. Relics.

Makes you wonder about GM. Are they one of those that are "too big to let fail?"

What lies in store? Break up the divisions? Cease to exist(as in dead parrot)?

Out of the big 3, they are by far the biggest. Crazy times.