Thread: Will Economy Affect Jets/Sports Ticket Prices

Will Economy Affect Jets/Sports Ticket Prices

With the stock market in freefall and the economy seemingly in deep trouble, how will it affect ticket prices to the Jets and sports in general?

Donald Trump will be part of the Jets advertisement campaign for their "Coaches Club" seating. They also are charging PSLs to the majority of the seating in their new stadium. You would think that in an economy that seems to be on the "bubble" that it would be difficult to sell expensive tickets to sporting events.

Yet aren't the Mets practically sold out for 2009? The Yankee ticket prices are nothing short of insane and it will be very costly to attend Jets games in the future.

Where are people getting the money for sports when you would think that it would be one of the luxury items that would be suffering in this economic climate?

Jets Insider VIP
    Great question. I was thinking about his today. Woody's timing couldn't be worse. It will be very interesting to see how his auction goes in November for that Coaches Club.

[QUOTE]Where are people getting the money for sports when you would think that it would be one of the luxury items that would be suffering in this economic climate?[/QUOTE]

It's about a 70,000 seat stadium in a metro area market of about 20 million people. I think they won't have a problem selling all the PSL's quite frankly. And, some people are fairly immune to economic hard times believe it or not. Doctors, lawyers and others who rely little on the stock market and aren't worried about job prospects won't flinch is my guess.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 10-10-2008 at 02:01 AM.

it's an interesting question and even more interesting the answer will be public knowledge in about a week or so

these auctions are basically public, if they are selling coaches club PSLs for 50k a piece I guess we'll have our answer.

[QUOTE=bitonti;2797745]it's an interesting question and even more interesting the answer will be public knowledge in about a week or so

these auctions are basically public, if they are selling coaches club PSLs for 50k a piece I guess we'll have our answer.[/QUOTE]

Just saw the commercial with Trump in a "Namathesque" fur coat. The auction runs from 10/19-10/27.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2797482]It's about a 70,000 seat stadium in a metro area market of about 20 million people. I think they won't have a problem selling all the PSL's quite frankly. And, some people are fairly immune to economic hard times believe it or not. Doctors, lawyers and others who rely little on the stock market and aren't worried about job prospects won't flinch is my guess.[/QUOTE]

I think jetstream summed it up nicely here.

There are enough rich people who can afford the PSLs, AND are willing to pay them.

The PSLs are one thing. I would view that as a one-time investment that will likely appreciate in value. But I would never (again) pay the prices they want for tickets, parking, concessions, etc. I did it for a couple of years and it's a ripoff.

I can afford it, but I would never pay the money they're asking for a sporting event. But that's just me. For every guy like me, there are 20 people willing and able to take my seats.

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;2798777]I think jetstream summed it up nicely here.

There are enough rich people who can afford the PSLs, AND are willing to pay them.

The PSLs are one thing. I would view that as a one-time investment that will likely appreciate in value. But I would never (again) pay the prices they want for tickets, parking, concessions, etc. I did it for a couple of years and it's a ripoff.

I can afford it, but I would never pay the money they're asking for a sporting event. But that's just me. For every guy like me, there are 20 people willing and able to take my seats.[/QUOTE]

You make excellent points. I've been a Jet season ticket holder since 1978. While I enjoy attending the games, I'm seriously considering trading in my tickets for a nice large screen HD TV.

A few years back my cousin had Giants tickets, he decided to give up his season ticket in exchange for purchasing a large screen HD TV. The cost of the TV was equivalent to one season of Giants tickets. He's never regretted his decision, and he sees more football now then when he went to the games.

I'm tempted also.

[QUOTE=JetsFanatic;2798806]You make excellent points. I've been a Jet season ticket holder since 1978. While I enjoy attending the games, I'm seriously considering trading in my tickets for a nice large screen HD TV.

A few years back my cousin had Giants tickets, he decided to give up his season ticket in exchange for purchasing a large screen HD TV. The cost of the TV was equivalent to one season of Giants tickets. He's never regretted his decision, and he sees more football now then when he went to the games.

I'm tempted also.[/QUOTE]

I actually did the same thing this year.

I was paying almost $4,000 a year for four upper level Jets tickets, parking, concessions, gas, tolls, etc.

I took that money and bought a nice big HDTV and the NFL Sunday Ticket. And I still have money in my pocket. No regrets whatsoever.