Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk about a Pipe Dream

Hall Of Fame

Talk about a Pipe Dream

Where do they come up with this stuff?

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...me%3dneyer_rob

Frank Russo, on New York Baseball Digest Radio's Yankee Special, mentioned that his connections have shared that the Mets are accepting inquiries for Carlos Beltran. And, further, according to Russo, his sources have also shared that there's a rumor of a possible deal between the Mets and Yankees which would breakdown as follows:

Carlos Beltran from the Mets to the Yankees in exchange for Robinson Cano (with the Yankees taking on most of Cano's contract), either Jose Veras or Brian Bruney, Ian Kennedy, and another prospect from the Yankees system.

Hall Of Fame
    That would be a terrible deal for the Mets. Sounds bs to me.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    That would be a terrible deal for the Mets. Sounds bs to me.
    It sounds like a trade you make in fantasy baseball with a guy who'd never played before.

Neyer shouldn't have even addressed this.

All League
    Hell No

I'd make the trade, but it would piss me off still just because of how in favor I was of the Yankees signing Beltran when we had the chance. We needed him more than anything and let it pass us by. Idiotic.

All Pro
    That sounds like bull****.

All League
    I'm surprised that the deal wasn't Wright, Reyes and Beltran for Chase Wright, Darrell Rasner and Ian Kennedy.

Who writes this kind of garbage?

Crazy or not, there is no way the Yanks are going into next season with Johnny "no arm" Damon or Brett "hey I can bunt and run" Gardner in Center Field...just not happeing.

Hall Of Fame
    Would take more then that to pry away Beltran, I can almost guarantee we're not interested in it for Cano and your spare pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Would take more then that to pry away Beltran, I can almost guarantee we're not interested in it for Cano and your spare pieces.
    Spare pieces? Your BP wishes they had some of those "spare pieces" during the season...you might just be in the playoffs right now.

All Pro
    Mike Francesca is this guys source.

Practice Squad
    Wait, wait, wait....why would the Yankees give up multiple players for Beltran? I know we need a CF but Cano is still young and cannot be given up on yet. He had a down year, he will be fine. And then we also are giving up Kennedy and/or Veras?! No thanks....Cash would hang up the phone on this one quicker then JetsBabe hangs up on WeskerLogan after that "purple" avatar he displayed this week.
    Last edited by Dumps; 10-10-2008 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumps View Post
    Wait, wait, wait....why would the Yankees give up multiple players for Beltran? I know we need a CF but Cano is still young and cannot be given up on yet. He had a down year, he will be fine. And then we also are giving up Kennedy and/or Veras?! No thanks....Cash would hang up the phone on this one quicker then JetsBabe hangs up on WeskerLogan after that "purple" avatar he displayed this week.
    You think the deal is unfair for . . . the Yankees?

God i wish we could give up a top 3 player at his position, one of the most important positions on the field, for your struggling 2B, a scrub pitcher and a good BP arm.

Cash would carry the three of them on his back to CitiField.

eLOT

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by elot View Post

God i wish we could give up a top 3 player at his position, one of the most important positions on the field, for your struggling 2B, a scrub pitcher and a good BP arm.

eLOT
    A rational Yankee fan agrees.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by elot View Post

eLOT
    Would never make this trade. Just not willing to give up on Cano after one down year. No way. Although Beltran is by no means old, he is older then anyone we would give up in the deal. Especially Cano, just not giving him up. Unless it is for a stud arm....otherwise, Cano is my second baseman. If you're a Yankee fan ready to give up on Cano you're crazy!

All Pro
    Would never make this trade. Just not willing to give up on Cano after one down year. No way. Although Beltran is by no means old, he is older then anyone we would give up in the deal. Especially Cano, just not giving him up. Unless it is for a stud arm....otherwise, Cano is my second baseman. If you're a Yankee fan ready to give up on Cano you're crazy!
    its not giving up on Cano, giving up on him would be trading him for a nobody, you talkin bout arguably the best CF in the game

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp View Post
    its not giving up on Cano, giving up on him would be trading him for a nobody, you talkin bout arguably the best CF in the game
    It is giving up on Cano, he hasn't had enough time. He is a stud who had a down year, not trading him unless I get a Ace arm in return. Beltran will be 32 in April. Cano is about to turn 26 in about 2 weeks. Yet another reason I wouldn't do it.

Hall Of Fame
    It is giving up on Cano, he hasn't had enough time. He is a stud who had a down year, not trading him unless I get a Ace arm in return. Beltran will be 32 in April. Cano is about to turn 26 in about 2 weeks. Yet another reason I wouldn't do it.
    The Yanks and some of the fans aren't down on Cano just because he had a down year. They're down on him because he doesn't fit the Yankee philosophy at the plate. Sure, he can hit .320. But with a .350 OBP. He has shown no plate disicipline and isn't improving on that. He had 26 walks this entire season.

The Yankees want to get back to a lineup that sees a lot of pitches up and down. They want to wear down starters and get into bullpens earlier. That's going to be even more difficult with the departure of Giambi and probable departure of Abreu. Those guys are two of the most patient hitters in baseball. Cano is the opposite.

Beltran is a guy that hitting in front of or behind ARod would put up great numbers, and he is outstanding defensively. The upgrade Beltran provides over Melky and/or Gardner far outweighs any difference between Cano and a new second baseman who can get on once in a while and play a little defense.

All that said, it's not going to happen. Because everyone, including the Mets, sees that this is an unbalanced offer.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido Monzino View Post
    The Yanks and some of the fans aren't down on Cano just because he had a down year. They're down on him because he doesn't fit the Yankee philosophy at the plate. Sure, he can hit .320. But with a .350 OBP. He has shown no plate disicipline and isn't improving on that. He had 26 walks this entire season.

The Yankees want to get back to a lineup that sees a lot of pitches up and down. They want to wear down starters and get into bullpens earlier. That's going to be even more difficult with the departure of Giambi and probable departure of Abreu. Those guys are two of the most patient hitters in baseball. Cano is the opposite.

Beltran is a guy that hitting in front of or behind ARod would put up great numbers, and he is outstanding defensively. The upgrade Beltran provides over Melky and/or Gardner far outweighs any difference between Cano and a new second baseman who can get on once in a while and play a little defense.

All that said, it's not going to happen. Because everyone, including the Mets, sees that this is an unbalanced offer.
    Okay, let's compare the numbers (career).....shall we:

Cano OBP - .355 OPS - .803

Beltran OBP - .357 OPS - .853

Reyes OBP - .336 OPS. - .773

So in closing, although Beltran's 2 most important offensive numbers are currently better. The gap is not large enough to cover a 6 year age difference and a player the Yankees have locked up for 5 more years. For fun, I threw in Reyes....since Mets fans seem to think he the greatest offensive SS ever invented. Yet somehow.....Cano's numbers are better in both spots. But we should give up on him?! Right - sure! Let me ask you Met fans, are you ready to give up on Reyes? If not then you lose this arguement. And anyone who knows baseball knows that the 2 stats above are the ones that determine how good of a hitter you are.
    Last edited by Dumps; 10-10-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Practice Squad
    Also, Beltran makes 18.2 Million Dollars per season. Robbie makes 3 million dollars per season. So not only are the number's on the field close, the $ makes Robbie a better value. Don't judge a player off of 1 down season. In a Beltran for Cano swap the Yankees lose....no matter what way you look at it. So yeah, I'm gonna hold on to Cano.
    Last edited by Dumps; 10-10-2008 at 04:18 PM.