View Poll Results: So, what's your prediction?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Big Rebound

3 10.00%
  • Up Moderately

1 3.33%
  • About Even

1 3.33%
  • Down Moderately

10 33.33%
  • Down Big

9 30.00%
  • Armageddon

6 20.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Will the US Stock Markets Do Tomorrow?

Man, I wish I was more well-versed in the world of economics.

I have a Roth IRA that I don't even really monitor, it just pulls a set amount of money out of my checking account every month. Should I be concerned about that?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2797474]Man, I wish I was more well-versed in the world of economics.

I have a Roth IRA that I don't even really monitor, it just pulls a set amount of money out of my checking account every month. Should I be concerned about that?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Just keep investing. You're doing it the right way by dollar-cost-averaging and putting in money each month. And if it makes you rest easier, just know that you're buying now at low prices and with a long time until retirement you should see that investment payoff. If you need the money in the next 2, 3, 4 years then I wouldn't risk it but with a long time horizon the two best things to do are invest at regular intervals and be diversified (stocks, bonds, commodities, cash, etc.) and across domestic/international as well as small cap and big cap companies. In other words, just spread it around so all your eggs aren't in one basket. Pretty easy to do that these days with mutual funds.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2797480]Nope. Just keep investing. You're doing it the right way by dollar-cost-averaging and putting in money each month. And if it makes you rest easier, just know that you're buying now at low prices and with a long time until retirement you should see that investment payoff. If you need the money in the next 2, 3, 4 years then I wouldn't risk it but with a long time horizon the two best things to do are invest at regular intervals and be diversified (stocks, bonds, commodities, cash, etc.) and across domestic/international as well as small cap and big cap companies. In other words, just spread it around so all your eggs aren't in one basket. Pretty easy to do that these days with mutual funds.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me. I set up the Roth IRA three years ago with very long-term intentions in mind, obviously. Ideally, I don't even want to have to think about it too much, just as long as I contribute to it monthly.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2797484]Sounds good to me. I set up the Roth IRA three years ago with very long-term intentions in mind, obviously. Ideally, I don't even want to have to think about it too much, just as long as I contribute to it monthly.[/QUOTE]

I heard someone say today, "this market is horrible and I'm thinking about stopping deposits into my 401(k)." That is the complete opposite of what to do yet human nature makes people think that way. They were pouring money into the market when the Dow was at 14,000 and now they don't want to when it's at 8,500. Makes no sense. Buy low, sell high....but fear and psychology do strange things to people.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2797488]I heard someone say today, "this market is horrible and I'm thinking about stopping deposits into my 401(k)." That is the complete opposite of what to do yet human nature makes people think that way. They were pouring money into the market when the Dow was at 14,000 and now they don't want to when it's at 8,500. Makes no sense. Buy low, sell high....but fear and psychology do strange things to people.[/QUOTE]

mmm, indeed. The reason I asked is because I heard something very similar to that -- that many people all of a sudden decided to stop contributing to their long-term savings.

All League
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2797488]I heard someone say today, "this market is horrible and I'm thinking about stopping deposits into my 401(k)." That is the complete opposite of what to do [/QUOTE]

Well that really depends on how close you are to retirement. I do agree that if you are young this is something you shouldn't worry about.

Hall Of Fame
    Madmax :eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2797494]Well that really depends on how close you are to retirement. I do agree that if you are young this is something you shouldn't worry about.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, she's under 30.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2797462]The bigger question to me isn't how low we go, it is "when we do bottom, is it even time to get back in?" In other words, just because we bottom doesn't mean that stocks will be the best performers in the coming months and years. I'm starting to research what asset classes have performed best in medium and longterm bear markets.[/QUOTE]

You will find no asset class does well out of a bear market - everything goes down. There are asset classes that do 'less badly', but the best way to be is to be in cash, and wait for the signals that come when the bear has turned. Unfortunately that will be some years from now.

This thread needs a bit of humour:

> CEO --Chief Embezzlement Officer.

> > CFO-- Corporate Fraud Officer.

> > BULL MARKET -- A random market movement causing an investor
    > > to mistake himself for a financial genius.

> > BEAR MARKET -- A 6 to 18 month period when the kids get no
    > > allowance, the wife gets no jewelry, and the husband gets no
    > > sex.
    > > VALUE INVESTING -- The art of buying low and selling lower.

> > P/E RATIO -- The percentage of investors wetting their
    > > pants as the market keeps crashing.

> > BROKER -- What my broker has made me.

> > STANDARD & POOR -- Your life in a nutshell.

> > STOCK ANALYST -- Idiot who just downgraded your stock.

> > STOCK SPLIT -- When your ex-wife and her lawyer split your
    > > assets equally between themselves.

> > FINANCIAL PLANNER -- A guy whose phone has been
    > > disconnected.

> > MARKET CORRECTION -- The day after you buy stocks.

> > CASH FLOW-- The movement your money makes as it disappears
    > > down the toilet.

> > YAHOO -- What you yell after selling it to some poor sucker
    > > for $240 per share.

> > WINDOWS -- What you jump out of when you're the sucker
    > > who bought Yahoo @ $240 per share.

> > INSTITUTIONAL INVESTOR -- Past year investor who's now
    > > locked up in a nuthouse.
    > > PROFIT -- An archaic word no longer in use

[QUOTE=pauliec;2797474]Man, I wish I was more well-versed in the world of economics.

I have a Roth IRA that I don't even really monitor, it just pulls a set amount of money out of my checking account every month. Should I be concerned about that?[/QUOTE]

No.

As long as it's in a diversified fund. I think the market will recover by the time you're taking money out of your IRA.

People forget that the goal in investing is to buy low and sell high. Now that the market is getting lower, people want to sell. Makes no sense.

If you have a long-term horizon (like I think you do, especially in an IRA), and you're dollar cost averaging in every month, this is a good thing. It gives you an opportunity to buy more at low prices. Keep doing what you're doing.

Hall Of Fame
    tomorrow is Saturday and the market isn't open, so I'll say it'll be flat ;)

Hall Of Fame

no keep investing for sure... you have a long long way to go before retirement so unless the whole world collapses and we go back to the stone age (obviously highly unlikely) you'll be ok. And especially the fact that Roth's are income limited so you can't always contribute once your income reaches a certain level

All League
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2797608]No.

As long as it's in a diversified fund. I think the market will recover by the time you're taking money out of your IRA.

People forget that the goal in investing is to buy low and sell high. Now that the market is getting lower, people want to sell. Makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

Except for one mitigating factor...stocks aren't just low...companies are going out of business. Anybody loading up on GM stock today?

boys we are due for a big rip...(to the upside)...1000 point pop in the DOW either thisafternoon or early next week..instead of individual stocks u should buy S&P 500 index funds...ticker "IVV" (approx $90) & "SSO" (approx $30) I work down here & guys have their buy hats on...the Sept month-end mutual fund redemptions are causing alot of this sell-off, as well as general panic-driven sellers.....we're still going into a recession but this selloff has been WAY OVERDONE....anyway that's just my opinion

email going around...."This market is worse than divorce...I lost half my net worth and I still have my wife!"

[QUOTE=Tucker134;2797767]email going around...."This market is worse than divorce...I lost half my net worth and I still have my wife!"[/QUOTE]

LOL

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Tucker134;2797767]email going around...."This market is worse than divorce...I lost half my net worth and I still have my wife!"[/QUOTE]

Ha! Hey, if you don't laugh you'll end up crying with this market.

"The good news is that the Dow can only drop 700 points about 12 more times. Unless it's allowed to go below zero.....It can't go below zero can it? :confused:"

:P

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2797831]Ha! Hey, if you don't laugh you'll end up crying with this market.

"The good news is that the Dow can only drop 700 points about 12 more times. Unless it's allowed to go below zero.....It can't go below zero can it? :confused:"

:P[/QUOTE]

Man, I thought you were really onto something when the market tanked and then came back up to almost even. Of course, now its back down again, so we'll see what happens before I label you Nostradamus.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=crasherino;2797861]Man, I thought you were really onto something when the market tanked and then came back up to almost even. Of course, now its back down again, so we'll see what happens before I label you Nostradamus.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. This market has had about 10 false rallies in the past 3 days. Every time it finally starts to go higher people are selling into that strength. I think it's still somewhat due to all these forced redemptions from mutual funds. People are making rash decisions to sell mutual funds in their 401(k) and when fund managers come into the office the next morning they HAVE TO start selling stock in order to meet the cash demands of customers.

The sign of a bottom to me will be when we down big, like really big...800, 900 or 1000 points and then we snap all the way back to even. That might put a bottom in but not sure we'll get that. You have to see blood in the streets before you know the war is over. Let's see what happens, strange days no doubt.