Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Light of the ACORN Situation, a Simple Question

Hall Of Fame

In Light of the ACORN Situation, a Simple Question

Why not require a form of government ID be presented at the polls to prove identity in order to vote? For the libs, a government benefit card would be acceptable.

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2797678]Why not require a form of government ID be presented at the polls to prove identity in order to vote? For the libs, a government benefit card would be acceptable.[/QUOTE]

The libs would complain it was an invasion of privacy.:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    no national ID cards please! they are tracking us, listening in on us and filming us enough already

btw I've started looking into this ACORN stuff in more detail since you constantly harp on it

All Pro
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;2797678]Why not require a form of government ID be presented at the polls to prove identity in order to vote? For the libs, a government benefit card would be acceptable.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised that a zeolous free-market capitalist like you would argue for more government regulation, now of the voting booth!! What will these conservatives think of next? National health care? ;)

I don't really see a problem with requiring some form of proof of address, at least. (Homeless shelters would have to essentially vouch for their residents in these cases.)

People should have to at least have a utility bill or a license or a social security number. In many states, this is required already to register.

The Acorn registrations rerefenced above lacked this info, which is apparently why they got flagged.

I think it's fairly clear that the primary issue with some of these is that Acorn is forcing quotas on its volunteers, who are making up names. I watched a segment on Fox about this last night, and they showed that somebody registered "Jimmy Johns," at the address for the sandwich shop. Obviously, Jimmy Johns isn't going to show up and vote. So the reason for the faulty registration isn't to get the vite at he polls, but to fill the quota for the registrar.

Thankfully, these seem to be so obvious in nature that they are getting flagged well in advance of the election.

not only would i support ID when you vote but I also support national ID with microchips in it. we live in a world where security trumps privacy, that's the way it goes.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2797692] no national ID cards please! they are tracking us, listening in on us and filming us enough already[/QUOTE]
    Medicaid benefit cards would suffice.

[QUOTE=Tanginius;2797692]
    btw I've started looking into this ACORN stuff in more detail since you constantly harp on it [/QUOTE]

Proof that the JI Politics Forum should remain open. Just an exchange of ideas.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2797713]I don't really see a problem with requiring some form of proof of address, at least. (Homeless shelters would have to essentially vouch for their residents in these cases.)

People should have to at least have a utility bill or a license or a social security number. In many states, this is required already to register.

[/QUOTE]Something with a photo would be best- agree with you except the utility bill may be too little proof.

[QUOTE=Tanginius;2797692]no national ID cards please! they are tracking us, listening in on us and filming us enough already

btw I've started looking into this ACORN stuff in more detail since you constantly harp on it[/QUOTE]

I've never understood the anti-national ID card thing. It's not like most people don't already have state IDs (or Drivers Licenses) already

it's been tried....cries of racism go out every time it's brought up...makes zero sense to me- in fact the National ID card is a great idea IMO

Jets Insider VIP
    Question, why isn't a local (that is, State-wide ID) enough? There's drivers and non-driver's IDs in NY and if I'm not mistaken, when my wife & I voted in the primary, we had to show our driver's licenses to vote.

This national ID stuff is just a red herring.

Require people to show driver's license, non-driver's ID, passport or any other state or federal issued ID with a photo at the voting site.

If ACORN is an issue, a national ID won't stop it. Seriously, they registerred Terrell Owens and other members of the Dallas Cowboys. Unless someone is going to show up with a valid Tony Romo ID, then they're not going to be able to vote.
    Last edited by SMC; 10-10-2008 at 11:28 AM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2797713]I don't really see a problem with requiring some form of proof of address, at least. (Homeless shelters would have to essentially vouch for their residents in these cases.)

The Acorn registrations rerefenced above lacked this info, which is apparently why they got flagged.

I think it's fairly clear that the primary issue with some of these is that Acorn is forcing quotas on its volunteers, who are making up names. [B]I watched a segment on Fox about this last night, and they showed that somebody registered "Jimmy Johns," at the address for the sandwich shop. Obviously, Jimmy Johns isn't going to show up and vote. [/B]So the reason for the faulty registration isn't to get the vite at he polls, but to fill the quota for the registrar.

Thankfully, these seem to be so obvious in nature that they are getting flagged well in advance of the election.[/QUOTE]

I know Jimmy Johns and he's definitely going to vote. But whether he's got a beef, or is a sucker for some ham, or worst, leaning toward a turkey, is yet to be seen. But when the chips are down, you can count on him to lean toward a hero... (okay, this is getting old) :D

Jets Insider VIP
    Also, if conservatives are in favor of a government ID, are they also in favor of a national gun database? If not, why not?

I absolutely support a National Identification Card, and the use of such an Identification as a requirement to vote.

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2797854]I know Jimmy Johns and he's definitely going to vote. But whether he's got a beef, or is a sucker for some ham, or worst, leaning toward a turkey, is yet to be seen. But when the chips are down, you can count on him to lean toward a hero... (okay, this is getting old) :D[/QUOTE]

Jimmy Johns chips are awesome, btw. Especially the salt and vinegar ones.

The last thing I need is another darn thing to carry around.

With technology today it should be very simple to create a relatively fraud free system that protects privacy.

The ACORN stuff is overblown.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Just utilize what is available now(license, medicare etc) and make a National ID available to anyone who complains about not having one of the others.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Piper;2797897]Just utilize what is available now(license, medicare etc) and make a National ID available to anyone who complains about not having one of the others.[/QUOTE]

:clapper:

You mean like a state drivers license or a State Non-Driver ID card???

Jets Insider VIP
    National ID card, and elimination of paper/coin money. I hate pennys.