View Poll Results: Should Political Campaigns be allowed to use Music without the Artists Permission?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

2 18.18%
  • No!

7 63.64%
  • No Opinion!

2 18.18%

Thread: Campiagns and Intellectual Theft

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Campiagns and Intellectual Theft

Today's Poll Question is:

Should Political Campaigns be allowed to use the Music (or other artistic representation) os an Artist without the premission of the Artist in Question?

This issue has risen a number fo times in this campaign (Heart, Foo Fighters, the Guy Who wrote "Soul man", etc).

Yes?

No?

No Opinion?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno!...all I know is Obama will be the next President of these United States of America, write that down.
    [IMG]http://www.jetsinsider.com/images/favre_pats1.jpg[/IMG]

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a tough one, and I can see the value of either Yes or No.

I'm going to vote No Opinion. It's Friday, I feel like fence-sitting.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have a strong opinion about this.

Politically, however, it sort of takes care of itself, because it is not advantageous to repeatedly play songs by an artist who will use the elevated platform you are giving them to call you a douche bag.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetdawg;2797890]I dunno!...all I know is Obama will be the next President of these United States of America, write that down.[/quote]

Why would I need to write it down? I've been predicting just that for months.....

I voted a strong and unquestionable "No!" btw. Just like illegal downloading, I have a strong moral stance against the use of art without permission.

And it's bad enough when John Q Schmuck does it. When the future President (and the future also ran) engage in stealing intellectual property without permission, it only makes it worse.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    We often times hear of Republicans catching **** for using some song that the artist doesn't want them to use, but has there ever been an instance of a Dem using music that the artist didn't want them to use on account of differing politics?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;2797919]We often times hear of Republicans catching **** for using some song that the artist doesn't want them to use, but has there ever been an instance of a Dem using music that the artist didn't want them to use on account of differing politics?[/QUOTE]

No, because 99% of the entertainment industry is liberal.

And that's why I could see someone voting the Yes option: if the GOP had to get permission to use every single song during a rally or a speech, then they would be stuck with country crap all the time.

Which is stupid in and of itself. Musicians shouldn't care about who likes their music enough to use it, they should just be happy that their records are selling.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2797913]Why would I need to write it down? I've been predicting just that for months.....

I voted a strong and unquestionable "No!" btw. Just like illegal downloading, I have a strong moral stance against the use of art without permission.

And it's bad enough when John Q Schmuck does it. When the future President (and the future also ran) engage in stealing intellectual property without permission, it only makes it worse.[/QUOTE]

And thus, I can definitely see the argument on the other side.

Such is my "No opinion" vote.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I voted no. I think the song then gets linked to the candidate and party. If I was an artist with certain political views, I would not want a candidate with opposing views to use my song.