Thread: We are all getting hosed at the fuel pump and we like it!

We are all getting hosed at the fuel pump and we like it!

Nothing makes me angrier then the cost of gas!! This is all very very simple gas has been coming down for quite some time now. Some how the oil companies have managed a way to still f*** us at the pump!
    How in the world could gas be under 90 a barrel and still we continue to pay $3 a gallon.
    How come we all sit and like it?
    As I right this a barrel of oil is low 80's that should equate to low low $2 at that pump! Why does this not reflect it then?

Please dont tell me it takes a while to move because I do remember prices shooting up at the pump 20 to 25cents in a day. Why not on the down swing?

Jets Insider VIP
    Gas is still cheap, brother.

Gas is still cheaper????????????????????????????? What a bunch of ***** ass bull crap!! Cheaper??? Come up with something better then that!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=LanceMehl;2798047]Gas is still cheaper????????????????????????????? What a bunch of ***** ass bull crap!! Cheaper??? Come up with something better then that![/QUOTE]

I said cheap, bro...not cheaper.

Bush had us invade a country with abundant oil... so that the price could rise

someone please tell me how that makes sense

Jets Insider VIP
    So Lance - do you support drilling for oil in the US?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2798143]Bush had us invade a country with abundant oil... so that the price could rise

someone please tell me how that makes sense[/QUOTE]

Did you really think that by invading Iraq we were just going to plunder and get ourselves a whole bunch of free oil?

Do you realize what a small fraction of our oil comes from Iraq?

You do realize supply has increased dramatically in China, India, etc., right?

[QUOTE=LanceMehl;2798011]Nothing makes me angrier then the cost of gas!! This is all very very simple gas has been coming down for quite some time now. Some how the oil companies have managed a way to still f*** us at the pump!
    How in the world could gas be under 90 a barrel and still we continue to pay $3 a gallon.
    As I right this a barrel of oil is low 80's that should equate to low low $2 at that pump! Why does this not reflect it then?

Please dont tell me it takes a while to move because I do remember prices shooting up at the pump 20 to 25cents in a day. Why not on the down swing?[/QUOTE]

The oil co's arent hosing people as much as everyone suspects...here's a different perspective u might find interesting:
    [url]http://eidelblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/truth-about-oil-versus-gasoline-prices.html[/url]

[QUOTE=Guido Monzino;2798183]Did you really think that by invading Iraq we were just going to plunder and get ourselves a whole bunch of free oil? [/quote]

no i thought we were going for WMD that didn't exist. of course we were going for plunder, that's what war is about

[QUOTE=Guido Monzino;2798183]
    Do you realize what a small fraction of our oil comes from Iraq?
    [/QUOTE]

yes I do realize that... it should be alot more after what we did for that nation

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2798342]no i thought we were going for WMD that didn't exist. of course we were going for plunder[/QUOTE]

Wrong as usual: pirates plunder, barbarians pillage. We try to do the right thing, but its not a perfect world. :D

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;2798143]Bush had us invade a country with abundant oil... so that the price could rise

someone please tell me how that makes sense[/QUOTE]

I don't know. You said we were going there FOR the oil.

[QUOTE=quantum;2798172]So Lance - do you support drilling for oil in the US?[/QUOTE]

Umm lets see not really, why bother when oil is already below 85 a barrel. At that price I am fine with oil as are most Americans. The problem is we are just not seeing the declines at the pump. Thats my problem. Honestly 85 dollars a barrel is what I like but honestly I really dont have a problem pay9ing $4 a gallon because I very fortunate. That being said its the idea of these companies getting an extra $1 in profit for every gallon they said.
    $85 a barrel should = low $2 at the pump.

[QUOTE=LanceMehl;2799117]Umm lets see not really, why bother when oil is already below 85 a barrel. At that price I am fine with oil as are most Americans. The problem is we are just not seeing the declines at the pump. Thats my problem. Honestly 85 dollars a barrel is what I like but honestly I really dont have a problem pay9ing $4 a gallon because I very fortunate. That being said its the idea of these companies getting an extra $1 in profit for every gallon they said.
    $85 a barrel should = low $2 at the pump.[/QUOTE]

I'll ask this one last time because it got lost in another thread you started...are you originally from the old Green House board?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=LanceMehl;2799117]Umm lets see not really, why bother when oil is already below 85 a barrel. At that price I am fine with oil as are most Americans. The problem is we are just not seeing the declines at the pump. Thats my problem. Honestly 85 dollars a barrel is what I like but honestly I really dont have a problem pay9ing $4 a gallon because I very fortunate. That being said its the idea of these companies getting an extra $1 in profit for every gallon they said.
    $85 a barrel should = low $2 at the pump.[/QUOTE]

I won't pretend to be someone who has a vast knowledge of economics (pause: wait for inevitable response of "we already know that about you, PK") but the price of gas is what it is. There is a whole lot that goes into how the price is set...companies aren't arbitrarily setting a price based on the level of their greed. There are a lot of gas stations and fuel suppliers in the US...so if prices were artificially high, at least one company out there would be setting their price considerably lower than the average so as to draw more business. If a supplier could sell their fuel for $2/gal and still turn a profit, someone would be doing so...banking on the fact that what they lack in profit margin they would make up for in sale quantity.

Of course, the typical tin-foil"ist" response would be that the mean oil companies all meet together and conspire to rip off the American public. Feel free to believe that...but unfortunately, that just isn't true. It is what it is. Don't fear...the silver lining to inflated oil prices is that it may drive innovation in alternative energy. Alternative energy will never truly take off until it is more profitable to produce and use that current technologies. That itself, will drive innovation waaaay more than any Al Gore inspired government subsidy program would...

I understand what you are saying but honestly I just don't believe it. Call me stupid whatever, I dont believe it.

[QUOTE=NIGHT STALKER;2799123]I'll ask this one last time because it got lost in another thread you started...are you originally from the old Green House board?[/QUOTE]

No I am not sorry to spoil it for you.

[QUOTE=LanceMehl;2799173]No I am not sorry to spoil it for you.[/QUOTE]

Believe me, you didn't spoil anything...you are sorry though.

[quote=LanceMehl;2798011]Nothing makes me angrier then the cost of gas!! This is all very very simple gas has been coming down for quite some time now. Some how the oil companies have managed a way to still f*** us at the pump!
    [B]As I right this a barrel of oil is low 80's that should equate to low low $2 at that pump![/B] Why does this not reflect it then?

Please dont tell me it takes a while to move because I do remember prices shooting up at the pump 20 to 25cents in a day. Why not on the down swing?[/quote]

No, you "as" not right

[IMG]http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6761/1812/1600/OilGline2002_6.0.gif[/IMG]

Historically, $85/barrel should put us in the $2.75-$3.75 a gallon range, and closer to about $3.30 given the trend line from 2002-2006. I could probably find the actual data for when gas was $85 a barrel if I wanted to take the time . . . but I don't.

[url]http://oilceo.blogspot.com/2006/08/oil-and-gasoline-correlation-charts.html[/url]

Thanks for yet again proving that anger doesn't make for good political discourse