Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Palin cleared herself; bipartisan panel did not

All Pro

Palin cleared herself; bipartisan panel did not

[url]http://news.aol.com/article/alaska-inquiry-finding-palin-abused/207872?cid=3272[/url]

Sorry if already posted but I didn't see it.

[QUOTE]Alaska inquiry finding: Palin abused power
    By MATT APUZZO
    AP
    posted: 7 MINUTES AGO
    comments: 17
    PrintShare
    Text SizeAAA
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska -Sarah Palin unlawfully abused her power as governor by trying to have her former brother-in-law fired as a state trooper, the chief investigator of an Alaska legislative panel concluded Friday. The politically charged inquiry imperiled her reputation as a reformer on John McCain's Republican ticket.
    Investigator Stephen Branchflower, in a report by a bipartisan panel that investigated the matter, found Palin in violation of a state ethics law that prohibits public officials from using their office for personal gain.
    The inquiry looked into her dismissal of Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan, who said he lost his job because he resisted pressure to fire a state trooper involved in a bitter divorce with the governor's sister. Palin says Monegan was fired as part of a legitimate budget dispute.
    The panel found that Palin let the family grudge influence her decision-making even if it was not the sole reason Monegan was dismissed. "I feel vindicated," Monegan said. "It sounds like they've validated my belief and opinions. And that tells me I'm not totally out in left field."
    Branchflower said Palin violated a statute of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act.
    Palin and McCain's supporters had hoped the inquiry's finding would be delayed until after the presidential election to spare her any embarrassment and to put aside an enduring distraction as she campaigns as McCain's running mate in an uphill contest against Democrat Barack Obama.
    But the panel of lawmakers voted to release the report, although not without dissension.
    "I think there are some problems in this report," said Republican state Sen. Gary Stevens, a member of the panel. "I would encourage people to be very cautious, to look at this with a jaundiced eye."
    The nearly 300-page report does not recommend sanctions or a criminal investigation.
    [/QUOTE]

Do you think you're going to influence the election?

Jets Insider VIP
    It's incredibly hilarious that the McCain camp issued its own report clearing Palin.

Prosecutor: "Mr. John Smith, you are hereby charged with--"

Criminal Suspect: "No, no, no. I did my own investigation and found out I was innocent of all charges."

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2798726]Do you think you're going to influence the election?[/QUOTE]

Huh??

[QUOTE=RIJetFan;2798750]Huh??[/QUOTE]

Are you posting this in an effort to somehow sway people to your side of the political isle?

One more example how Palin thinks and acts like Cheney.

No one pisses off the Queen.

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;2798752]Are you posting this in an effort to somehow sway people to your side of the political isle?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;2798754]One more example how Palin thinks and acts like Cheney.

No one pisses off the Queen.[/QUOTE]

Explain.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2798752]Are you posting this in an effort to somehow sway people to your side of the political isle?[/QUOTE]

It is both interesting and newsworthy. It's obvious this is upsetting you but don't blame the messenger.

[QUOTE=RIJetFan;2798758]It is both interesting and newsworthy. It's obvious this is upsetting you but don't blame the messenger.[/QUOTE]

No, I apologize if you misunderstood the question.

I'm just curious as to what the point is. I don't get it. I'm dumb.

Perhaps you could explain it to me.

She didn't like the punishment her ex-brother in-law got, so she set out to get him fired. She is the same person who gave him a "Official letter of recommendation on Wasilla letter head as Mayor" for him to get the job.

He was suspended for 5 days and that wasn't good enough for her.

She has talked about how she agrees with Cheney and the "expanded" role of the VP.

She is a nightmare.

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;2798756]Explain.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;2798760]No, I apologize if you misunderstood the question.

I'm just curious as to what the point is. I don't get it. I'm dumb.

Perhaps you could explain it to me.[/QUOTE]

RI -

I don't mean to reply to my own post...but I want you to know that I'm serious.

I read the article, and I don't understand how its relevant.

I'm not trying to be a wise-ass. I seriously would like someone to explain to me what it means.

In just 20 short months one of her first actions was to be abuse her power.

[QUOTE=cr726;2798778]In just 20 short months one of her first actions was to be abuse her power.[/QUOTE]

And in what way is that going to help President Obama solve the Medicare problem?

All League
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2798797]And in what way is that going to help President Obama solve the Medicare problem?[/QUOTE]

To the extent that it will help him win the election.

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    I find this issue confounding.

The chief executive of a state is also the chief executive of state law enforcement operations. The public safety commissioner serves at her discretion.

By all accounts, Wooten was a bad cop. He threatened Palin's father with physical violence, assaulted his 11 year old stepson with a taser, been reported drinking in his state patrol cruiser, and was seen driving a snowmobile while on disability.

Palin thinks it's not such a good idea for him to be a state cop. She's the chief executive of the state. The state police command authority chain ultimately ends with her.

What's the problem?

Had Wooten wrongfully killed or seriously injured sombody while on the job, would we be villifying Palin for not having addressed the fact that he was a bad cop with her public safety commissioner?

Can't win on logic with this one. It's just politics.

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2798820]To the extent that it will help him win the election.[/QUOTE]

Oh, Ok.

So it's just more pointless political bullshut?

Seriously, I need someone to explain this to me.

I guess you found it ok to punish Wooten twice for the same problem?

[QUOTE=rbstern;2798832]I find this issue confounding.

The chief executive of a state is also the chief executive of state law enforcement operations. The public safety commissioner serves at her discretion.

By all accounts, Wooten was a bad cop. He threatened Palin's father with physical violence, assaulted his 11 year old stepson with a taser, been reported drinking in his state patrol cruiser, and was seen driving a snowmobile while on disability.

Palin thinks it's not such a good idea for him to be a state cop. She's the chief executive of the state. The state police command authority chain ultimately ends with her.

What's the problem?

Had Wooten wrongfully killed or seriously injured sombody while on the job, would we be villifying Palin for not having addressed the fact that he was a bad cop with her public safety commissioner?

Can't win on logic with this one. It's just politics.[/QUOTE]

All League
    [QUOTE=rbstern;2798832]He threatened Palin's father with physical violence[/QUOTE]

He claims he didn't.

[QUOTE=rbstern;2798832]assaulted his 11 year old stepson with a taser[/QUOTE]

False

[QUOTE=rbstern;2798832]been reported drinking in his state patrol cruiser[/QUOTE]

He attended a picnic and drove his cruiser there. Drank one beer at the picnic. Left with a second. Not allowed, but so minor it's laughable.

[QUOTE=rbstern;2798832]was seen driving a snowmobile while on disability.[/QUOTE]

Which his chiropractor has already testified he cleared him to do.

[QUOTE=rbstern;2798832]Palin thinks it's not such a good idea for him to be a state cop. She's the chief executive of the state. The state police command authority chain ultimately ends with her.

What's the problem?[/QUOTE]

Scenario: Someone who works for you is dating your boss's sister. They have a bad breakup and your boss starts pressuring you to fire the guy. When you resist stating there's no cause you boss fires you. Kosher? Or would you slap you boss with a lawsuit so fast it makes his head spin?

Wooten's real crime was divorcing Palin's sister. By trying to get him fired, Palin was probably trying to swing the custody battle her sister's way.
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 10-10-2008 at 11:05 PM.

[QUOTE=cr726;2798839]I guess you found it ok to punish Wooten twice for the same problem?[/QUOTE]

I don't understand what your saying. Can you explain this to me?

Life is like a box of chocolates Forrest.

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;2798844]I don't understand what your saying. Can you explain this to me?[/QUOTE]