Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Palin cleared herself; bipartisan panel did not

[QUOTE=cr726;2798846]Life is like a box of chocolates Forrest.[/QUOTE]

OK, since you obviously can't explain it to me, maybe someone smarter than you can.

Don't beat yourself up. This is grown-up stuff. I appreciate you trying.

I'm sure someone can explain it to me.

What in this thread can't you understand? Pretty simple stuff.

[QUOTE=Roger Vick;2798848]OK, since you obviously can't explain it to me, maybe someone smarter than you can.

Don't beat yourself up. This is grown-up stuff. I appreciate you trying.

I'm sure someone can explain it to me.[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2798836]Oh, Ok.

So it's just more pointless political bullshut?

[/QUOTE]

Depends. Her VP prospects aside, this could be trouble for Palin in Alaska. Kinda doubt she'll be sanctioned, but it tarnishes her image. Jane Swift (gov of Massachusetts) was run out of politics for a series of similar violations.

[QUOTE=SMC;2798740]It's incredibly hilarious that the McCain camp issued its own report clearing Palin.

Prosecutor: "Mr. John Smith, you are hereby charged with--"

Criminal Suspect: "No, no, no. I did my own investigation and found out I was innocent of all charges."[/QUOTE]

Lol

[QUOTE=cr726;2798849]What in this thread can't you understand? Pretty simple stuff.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm unclear on how this will help Obama and Biden solve the issues confronting us as a nation.

Maybe you can help me out with that.

Again, I'm not very smart. I need some hand holding here.

Two or three paragraphs on exactly what Obama and Biden are going to do will suffice.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2798853]I guess I'm unclear on how this will help Obama and Biden solve the issues confronting us as a nation.[/QUOTE]

LOL. It won't. Same way Obama's releationship with Bill Ayers won't help McCain end the war in Iraq.

I wonder who's gonna get banned in this thread. St. Sarah does no wrong on JI

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2798760]No, I apologize if you misunderstood the question.

I'm just curious as to what the point is. I don't get it. I'm dumb.

Perhaps you could explain it to me.[/QUOTE]

Her mission to discredit Obama's character just got thwarted big time. If you're facing condemnation for corruption, you can hardly have much credibility calling somebody else a liar. Independents will listen, even if the hardcore Palinites will rally even more rabidly to her side as a virginal victim of evil democrats in Alaska....

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2798857]LOL. It won't. Same way Obama's releationship with Bill Ayers won't help McCain end the war in Iraq.[/QUOTE]

I've found 5,000 reasons on this website not to vote for McCain, and just as many not to vote for Obama.

I haven't found any reason to vote for either. That's what concerns me.

But I'm sure it must be me. I'm sure I'm missing something. I never was too smart.

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;2798865]Her mission to discredit Obama's character just got thwarted big time. If you're facing condemnation for corruption, you can hardly have much credibility calling somebody else a liar. [/QUOTE]

QFT

Best option from a campaign standpoint for McCain is for her to step down. He needs to admit his mistake, it's his best hope, he's got no shot now if he doesn't.

The bottom line is that when the majority of the country checks the news tomorrow morning, they're going to see "Sarah Palin Abused Power" on the headlines of every major news source. Foxnews is even showing that as we speak. The McCain campaign chose to make their campaign about her more than McCain since the convention, and now they're paying for it. Bad, bad move considering her 'targetability' (whether it's right or wrong), and now this. It's going to be the end of them if they don't act ASAP, though it might be too late as it is.

Obama is going to murder him for this on the 15th if he doesn't...book it.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2798867]I've found 5,000 reasons on this website not to vote for McCain, and just as many not to vote for Obama.

I haven't found any reason to vote for either. That's what concerns me.

But I'm sure it must be me. I'm sure I'm missing something. I never was too smart.[/QUOTE]

why would you want to vote for either right wing of the property / power party?!?

[QUOTE=Tanginius;2798877]why would you want to vote for either right wing of the property / power party?!?[/QUOTE]

Why would I want to vote for what?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2798879]Why would I want to vote for what?[/QUOTE]

Obama or McCain... each representing their respective right-wing of the property/power party

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2798867]I've found 5,000 reasons on this website not to vote for McCain, and just as many not to vote for Obama.

I haven't found any reason to vote for either. That's what concerns me.[/QUOTE]

Vote for McCain because he's an honest and honorable man who cares greatly for this country. Vote for him because he's a tough foreign affairs negotiator, because he's a hawk on government waste, and has a very good track record on the environment.

Vote for Obama because he's an extremely intelligent and charismatic man, the type of leader who can encourage confidence both domestically and abroad in difficult times. Vote for him because he's young and energetic and can bring energy and creativity to solving this country's issues. Vote for him because he's not afraid to ask Americans to sacrifice.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=rbstern;2798832]I find this issue confounding.

The chief executive of a state is also the chief executive of state law enforcement operations. The public safety commissioner serves at her discretion.

By all accounts, Wooten was a bad cop. He threatened Palin's father with physical violence, assaulted his 11 year old stepson with a taser, been reported drinking in his state patrol cruiser, and was seen driving a snowmobile while on disability.

Palin thinks it's not such a good idea for him to be a state cop. She's the chief executive of the state. The state police command authority chain ultimately ends with her.

What's the problem?

Had Wooten wrongfully killed or seriously injured sombody while on the job, would we be villifying Palin for not having addressed the fact that he was a bad cop with her public safety commissioner?

Can't win on logic with this one. It's just politics.[/QUOTE]

What you're missing here, RB, is that in Alaska, the governor does not have the authority to fire a trooper, the state's public safety commissioner does.

It's the commissioner's duty and obligation to fire a trooper and if he or she does not deem it proper to fire a trooper, that is the end of it.

Gov. Palin fired the commissioner for doing his job. She attempted to usurp his firing authority.

It is similar in what Nixon did during the Watergate investigation in firing someone who would not fire his subordinate.

[QUOTE=rbstern;2798832]I find this issue confounding.

The chief executive of a state is also the chief executive of state law enforcement operations. The public safety commissioner serves at her discretion.

By all accounts, Wooten was a bad cop. He threatened Palin's father with physical violence, assaulted his 11 year old stepson with a taser, been reported drinking in his state patrol cruiser, and was seen driving a snowmobile while on disability.

Palin thinks it's not such a good idea for him to be a state cop. She's the chief executive of the state. The state police command authority chain ultimately ends with her.

What's the problem?

Had Wooten wrongfully killed or seriously injured sombody while on the job, would we be villifying Palin for not having addressed the fact that he was a bad cop with her public safety commissioner?

Can't win on logic with this one. It's just politics.[/QUOTE]

Worse, our lib friends here would be saying he was given the job as family corruption, and maybe that Palin ordered the person killed.

All Pro
    Warfish, why don't you give the details of the case here as you see it. I don't mean some platitude about someone else's response. I mean demonstrate that you've actually reviewed the facts of the case and have formed an opinion supported by those facts. I know there are a lot of Obama supporters jumping with glee at the investigation finding and couldn't care less whether it's true or not. But I've read pretty deeply into it--Palin is guilty of a pretty serious ethics violation here. And the evidence bears it out strongly.

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2798969]I've read pretty deeply into it[/QUOTE]

I am sure the New York Times has kept you in the loop, but I think you may prefer the DailyKOS's brilliant analysis of this horrible tragedy of a conspiracy of a scandal.

Really.

I'm happy you're "read deeply". Good for you. I don't care, frankly, if Palin is guilty or not. I havn't claimed one way or the other and you know it.

My only point here is the hypcoricy involved.

But since you have made clear that you believe Obama is as pure as a virginal saint, never having done anything wrong or unethical ever in his whole life, it's obvious you don't see any hypocrity here.

Must be nice for you, that.

No wowrries here, we'll all be enjoying the brilliance of the Obama Presidency soon enough, and then the facts (as laid out by the New York Times) will speak for themselves.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2798974]I am sure the New York Times has kept you in the loop, but I think you may prefer the DailyKOS's brilliant analysis of this horrible tragedy of a conspiracy of a scandal.

Really.

I'm happy you're "read deeply". Good for you. I don't care, frankly, if Palin is guilty or not. I havn't claimed one way or the other and you k, ow it.[/QUOTE]

If you were a friend, I'd call copout for intellectual laziness. FYI, the New York Times, yes I do read it. The Daily KOS, never read it once.

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    [QUOTE=SMC;2798919]What you're missing here, RB, is that in Alaska, the governor does not have the authority to fire a trooper, the state's public safety commissioner does.[/quote]

And did she fire the trooper? No.

[QUOTE]It's the commissioner's duty and obligation to fire a trooper and if he or she does not deem it proper to fire a trooper, that is the end of it.

Gov. Palin fired the commissioner for doing his job. She attempted to usurp his firing authority.[/QUOTE]

The commissioner serves at the pleasure of the governor. He is a political appointee. She can fire him if she doesn't like his fashion sense, his taste in Chinese restuarants, or the brand of soap he uses. She doesn't need a valid reason. She also doesn't need to usurp his authority. He is a subordinate. His judgement in how law enforcement for the state of Alaska should be run doesn't supercede his boss' judgement. If she doesn't like how he runs it, she can fire him.

[quote]It is similar in what Nixon did during the Watergate investigation in firing someone who would not fire his subordinate.[/QUOTE]

Since there is no evidence that she told the commish to fire Wooten, and there is evidence that she had a disagreement with him on budgetary issues, I'm not sure what abuse of power there is.

From what I can tell, Monehgan changed his story along the way. The imaginary pressure he felt to fire Wooten seems to have increased as the political stakes continued to heighten.

It's basic political bull****.