Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Palin cleared herself; bipartisan panel did not

[QUOTE=rbstern;2799021]And did she fire the trooper? No.

The commissioner serves at the pleasure of the governor. He is a political appointee. She can fire him if she doesn't like his fashion sense, his taste in Chinese restuarants, or the brand of soap he uses. She doesn't need a valid reason. She also doesn't need to usurp his authority. He is a subordinate. His judgement in how law enforcement for the state of Alaska should be run doesn't supercede his boss' judgement. If she doesn't like how he runs it, she can fire him.

Since there is no evidence that she told the commish to fire Wooten, and there is evidence that she had a disagreement with him on budgetary issues, I'm not sure what abuse of power there is.

From what I can tell, Monehgan changed his story along the way. The imaginary pressure he felt to fire Wooten seems to have increased as the political stakes continued to heighten.

It's basic political bull****.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you have it all figured out, Columbo.

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    You are badly misinformed, bushy. Wooten's department initiated an investigation, the details of which are a matter of public record. Linked article below details the accusations and the investigation.

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2798843]He claims he didn't.[/quote]

Three witnesess heard the threat. McCann, Sarah Palin, and Track Palin. It was enough to get a judge to issue a protective order, and have Wooten turn in his guns and badge.

[QUOTE]He attended a picnic and drove his cruiser there. Drank one beer at the picnic. Left with a second. Not allowed, but so minor it's laughable.[/QUOTE]

Read the report. Numerous eye witness accounts of drinking and driving, on more than one occassion.

[QUOTE]Which his chiropractor has already testified he cleared him to do.[/QUOTE]

I don't care what his chiropractor said. How can you be disabled from work and driving a snowmobile, which is a physically punishing activity?

[QUOTE]Scenario: Someone who works for you is dating your boss's sister. They have a bad breakup and your boss starts pressuring you to fire the guy. When you resist stating there's no cause you boss fires you. Kosher? Or would you slap you boss with a lawsuit so fast it makes his head spin?

Wooten's real crime was divorcing Palin's sister. By trying to get him fired, Palin was probably trying to swing the custody battle her sister's way.[/QUOTE]

Read the article below, which directly quotes investigating officers and reports. Wooten is clearly a bad apple.

[url]http://www.adn.com/politics/story/476430.html[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SMC;2798919]What you're missing here, RB, is that in Alaska, the governor does not have the authority to fire a trooper, the state's public safety commissioner does.

It's the commissioner's duty and obligation to fire a trooper and if he or she does not deem it proper to fire a trooper, that is the end of it.

Gov. Palin fired the commissioner for doing his job. She attempted to usurp his firing authority.

It is similar in what Nixon did during the Watergate investigation in firing someone who would not fire his subordinate.[/QUOTE]

No. She fired him for doing his job poorly.

Do you think a cop who was caught drinking in his cruiser in NY would keep his job?

Jets Insider VIP
    I've never seen a government committee or board work so fast to get a report out. They must watch the calendar and know an election is 3 weeks away or something. :rolleyes:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2798768]RI -

I don't mean to reply to my own post...but I want you to know that I'm serious.

I read the article, and I don't understand how its relevant.

I'm not trying to be a wise-ass. I seriously would like someone to explain to me what it means.[/QUOTE]

Just came back on line. Everybody could interpret differently. She's campaigning as a maverick outsider. No more politics as usual. But in her first year in office she was improperly using the power of her office to forward her personal agenda.

Call me naive, but I think ethics violations (found by a bipartisan panel) say something about a person's ethics.

If it is within the Governor's authority to hire or fire him what's the problem?

I'll say it again. If anyone of us, including any State Troopers threatened to put a bullet in the head of the Governor's father what do you think would happen?

Did you read the article you linked?

[QUOTE=rbstern;2799033]You are badly misinformed, bushy. Wooten's department initiated an investigation, the details of which are a matter of public record. Linked article below details the accusations and the investigation.

Three witnesess heard the threat. McCann, Sarah Palin, and Track Palin. It was enough to get a judge to issue a protective order, and have Wooten turn in his guns and badge.

Read the report. Numerous eye witness accounts of drinking and driving, on more than one occassion.

I don't care what his chiropractor said. How can you be disabled from work and driving a snowmobile, which is a physically punishing activity?

Read the article below, which directly quotes investigating officers and reports. Wooten is clearly a bad apple.

[url]http://www.adn.com/politics/story/476430.html[/url][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;2798761]She didn't like the punishment her ex-brother in-law got, so she set out to get him fired. She is the same person who gave him a "Official letter of recommendation on Wasilla letter head as Mayor" for him to get the job.

He was suspended for 5 days and that wasn't good enough for her.

She has talked about how she agrees with Cheney and the "expanded" role of the VP.

She is a nightmare.[/QUOTE]

She is......sexy!!!!:yes:

:D

I am guessing you are over 50.

[QUOTE=HessStation;2799147]She is......sexy!!!!:yes:

:D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=SMC;2798740]It's incredibly hilarious that the McCain camp issued its own report clearing Palin.

Prosecutor: "Mr. John Smith, you are hereby charged with--"

Criminal Suspect: "No, no, no. I did my own investigation and found out I was innocent of all charges."[/QUOTE]

faulty logic speaks to their base.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;2799076]I've never seen a government committee or board work so fast to get a report out. They must watch the calendar and know an election is 3 weeks away or something. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Yeah those 4 Dems on that commission of 14 total members used their majority status to get the report expedited :rolleyes:

in case you're bad at math, that's 10 GOPers to 4 Dems on the commission... and I'm sure those 10 GOPers [I]wanted[/I] this negative press for one of their own 3 weeks before the election

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    [QUOTE=cr726;2799139]Did you read the article you linked?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Every word.

Even more damning are the response comments posted by locals, many of whom know Wooten personally and make it sound like Harvey Keitel would do a bang up job playing him in the Alaska State Troopers version of "Bad Lieutenant."

All League
    Ummm...

[QUOTE]Palin denies accusation over firing of Monegan (7/18/08)

HALCRO: Former state representative says family dispute fueled dismissal.

By MEGAN HOLLAND
    [email]mholland@adn.com[/email]

Published: July 18th, 2008 01:51 AM
    Last Modified: July 18th, 2008 08:02 PM

A feud within the family of Gov. Sarah Palin spilled into the public Thursday with accusations she tried to get a state trooper fired and she then fired the trooper's boss because he wouldn't act on her request.

In an interview Thursday, Palin vigorously denied that her dismissal last week of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan had anything to do with her dislike of state trooper Mike Wooten, her sister's ex-husband.

[B]"To allege that I, or any member of my family, requested, received or released confidential personnel information on an Alaska State Trooper, or directed disciplinary action be taken against any employee of the Department of Public Safety, is, quite simply, outrageous," Palin said in a statement also released Thursday.[/B][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cr726;2799150]I am guessing you are over 50.[/QUOTE]

32 but love tha cougars...

You mean his ex-wife, ex-wife's dad and ex-wife's sister (Palin).

[QUOTE=rbstern;2799519]Yes. Every word.

Even more damning are the response comments posted by locals, many of whom know Wooten personally and make it sound like Harvey Keitel would do a bang up job playing him in the Alaska State Troopers version of "Bad Lieutenant."[/QUOTE]