Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Look at History: The Great Depression

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;2802877]wrong. the austrian wallpaper hanger got us out of the great depression. he also caused our post war prosperity because the us was the last man standing.

as for fdr, his policies tended to excerbate the problem. he came with all of those wonderful democrat ideals and finally had to resort to programs that hoover had espoused to even maintain a semblence of order.

things that aren't widely reported about the fdr is that the unemployment rate was pretty muched fixed at 17% for fdr's whole time and that fdr ordered the slaughter of livestock and plowed under ripe food stuffs to prop up farm prices at the same time as people were starving. now that's democrats in action for you. moreover, what also isn't stated is that the 17% unemployment was chronic. meaning that whoever was unemployed at the start stayed unemployed.

the reason why we might weather this storm in good shape is because the banking systems are working in concert with each other whereas in the depression, they were all trying to get the upper hand.[/QUOTE]

How am I wrong? It's immutable fact that without stabilizing the financial sector and without moving away from the Gold Standard we'd be in an even worse situation. He helped the process for us to get out of the Great Depression. You guys are ignoring this as if these two things weren't huge reasons why our economy was failing.

Also, you act like unemployment is the only thing that matters in measuring economic efficiency. After 1933, the economy began to grow again, with real GDP increasing at an average compound rate of 6.7% per year from 1933-1939. However, although growth over this period was strong, the unemployment rate stayed high.

Listen, i'm not touting the New Deal as the perfect plan. It was full of crappy ideas. He pretty much had a blank check and a free pen to do a lot of things, and a lot of things shouldn't have been done. I'm saying that it's ignorant to think that FDR " only made the problem worse" when he did crucial things that helped us get out of the depression.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    read the post. fdr had to resort to policies that were initiated by hoover to even have a bit of success. and yes, the austrian paper hanger did get us out by putting us on a war footing. 500k lives later we became the dominant force on the planet.

and you had better understand one other fact. that is fdr pushed for mobilizing to war department a couple of years before peal harbor. even with this increased governemnt spending, the unimployment rate stayed 15-17%. the worst thing that happened was the creation of a chronically unemployed class. i guess when all those folks finally died, the unemployment rate would have gone down.

[QUOTE=Jets Voice of Reason;2804389]How am I wrong? It's immutable fact that without stabilizing the financial sector and without moving away from the Gold Standard we'd be in an even worse situation. He helped the process for us to get out of the Great Depression. You guys are ignoring this as if these two things weren't huge reasons why our economy was failing.

Also, you act like unemployment is the only thing that matters in measuring economic efficiency. After 1933, the economy began to grow again, with real GDP increasing at an average compound rate of 6.7% per year from 1933-1939. However, although growth over this period was strong, the unemployment rate stayed high.

Listen, i'm not touting the New Deal as the perfect plan. It was full of crappy ideas. He pretty much had a blank check and a free pen to do a lot of things, and a lot of things shouldn't have been done. I'm saying that it's ignorant to think that FDR " only made the problem worse" when he did crucial things that helped us get out of the depression.[/QUOTE]