Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You know your campaign is doing too well when...

[QUOTE=chicadeel;2803145]Are you suggesting that it is inappropriate or even dangerous for Palin to bring to light the fact that Obama is associated in some way with Ayers or anyone else for that matter? In other words are the people that Obama associated or associates with off limits because it will stir people against him or make people think he is someone they don't know?[/QUOTE]

no, I am saying that the backlash that some people may have towards Obama from Palin using the language she does when describing the relationship should not be surprising to anyone.

Then I am saying that McCain really can't go and douse the fires that Palin is stoking because they are running mates. If it were say the Washington Post, well then McCain could say something, because it wouldn't appear hypocritical. I think he is in a tough spot.

How do you appear to be the voice of reason against crazy anti-Obama speech when your VP's campaign strategy is to stir up those people?

Also, what Palin is doing is not bringing associations to light, that is a silly way to categorize it. She is using language like, "Who is Obama" and "He pals around with unrepentant terrorists." to help push along the idea that Obama is a terrorist sympathizer.

She is basically trying to stir up resentment and mistrust between the public and Obama.
    Last edited by piney; 10-13-2008 at 02:56 PM.

[QUOTE=chicadeel;2803145] Palin wasn't saying anything about Obama or Bidens family or parenting skills either.[/QUOTE]

it wouldn't make sense if she were....that would be a criticism of Palin.

She is however questioning Obama's patriotism and motives.

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by piney
    Also, what Palin is doing is not bringing associations to light, that is a silly way to categorize it. She is using language like, "Who is Obama" and "He pals around with unrepentant terrorists." to help push along the idea that Obama is a terrorist sympathizer.
    [/QUOTE]

Well maybe what's silly to some people is not silly at all to others.

Who Obama associated and associates with is a valid question. It is a fact that his association with some people may offend some Americans. What's the problem with bringing that to light? Is it the way the statement was phrased that you don't care for or is it the fact that Palin brought it to light the bothers you?

"Who is Obama?" - Is a valid question.

"He pals around with unrepentant terrorists"
    It is a fact that Obama has ties to Ayers. It is a fact that Ayers cofounded the Weather Underground. It is a fact that to this day he is unrepentant about his oranization bombing buildings.

[QUOTE=piney;2803155]it wouldn't make sense if she were....that would be a criticism of Palin.
    [/QUOTE]

Why?

Jets Insider VIP
    I still have yet to hear the Obama campaign bring up that McCain used to pal around with Nazi collaborators and Latin American death squads.

flushingjet
    [quote=cr726;2803102]I have yet to see a picture of Obama with Ayres. They are pals right? They hang out and help each other out all the time. Where are the pictures?
    Abramoff even had photos with GW.

Palin should not say a word about anything, she has her own issues.[/quote]

Is Google blocked at your house?

Chicago Annenburg Challenge, Woods Fund,

U. of Chicago, 1997

[URL]http://www-news.uchicago.edu/releases/97/971104.juvenile.justice.shtml[/URL]

Ayers will be joined by Illinois State Sen. Barack Obama, Senior Lecturer in the University of Chicago Law School, who is working to block proposed legislation that would throw more juvenile offenders into the adult system

One hundred years later, the system is “overcrowded, under-funded, over-centralized and racist,” Ayers said

Michelle Obama, Associate Dean of Student Services and Director of the University of Chicago Community Service Center, hopes bringing issues like this to campus will open a dialogue between members of the University community and the broader community.
    “We know that issues like juvenile justice impact each of us who live in the city of Chicago. This panel gives community members and students a chance to hear about the juvenile justice system not only on a theoretical level, but from the people who have experienced it.”

U. of Illinois

[URL]http://www.uic.edu/classes/las/las400/conferencealt.htm[/URL]

[B]Saturday, April 20th 2002 2:15-3:45 p.m.
    IV. Intellectuals in Times of Crisis
    [/B]Experiences and applications of intellectual work in urgent situations.
    [INDENT][B]William Ayers[/B], UIC, College of Education; author of [I]Fugitive Days[/I]
    [B]Douglass Cassel[/B], Northwestern University, Center for International Human Rights
    [B]Cathy Cohen[/B], University of Chicago, Political Science
    [B]Salim Muwakkil[/B], Chicago Tribune; In These Times
    [B]Barack Obama[/B], Illinois State Senator
    [B]Barbara Ransby[/B], UIC, African-American Studies (moderator)

[/INDENT]

jeez...

ok...

[QUOTE=chicadeel;2803200]Well maybe what's silly to some people is not silly at all to others. [/QUOTE]

I am not saying people who want to find out more about Ayers/Obama are silly, I am saying that to categorize Palin as simply shedding light on the situation is silly.

She is trying to paint Obama as a anti-America terrorist sympathizer.

Big difference

[QUOTE]Who Obama associated and associates with is a valid question. It is a fact that his association with some people may offend some Americans. What's the problem with bringing that to light? Is it the way the statement was phrased that you don't care for or is it the fact that Palin brought it to light the bothers you?[/QUOTE]

it is the way she phrased it, she is using language in order to illicit a certain reaction. She doesn't care about Obama's associations, she want to stir up the mob against Obama.

[QUOTE]"Who is Obama?" - Is a valid question.[/QUOTE]

no it isn't. It is a stupid and vague question being used to create a sense of xenophobia.

[QUOTE]"He pals around with unrepentant terrorists"

It is a fact that Obama has ties to Ayers. It is a fact that Ayers cofounded the Weather Underground. It is a fact that to this day he is unrepentant about his oranization bombing buildings.[/QUOTE]

there is a big difference with what Obama's association with Ayers is and with what Palin infers with the term "Pal's around".

Palin is directly trying to closely link Obama and Ayers Weather Underground activities. She is trying to use someone's feelings for one person's actions and link them to someone else.

[QUOTE=chicadeel;2803207]Why?[/QUOTE]

I am saying that was the narrative.

I don't think that is a valid argument against Palin, but the criticism doesn't fit Obama or Biden at all. They don't have a child who got pregnant out of wedlock and underage.

Again, I don't think it is a fair statement to make about Palin, but when you said, "She didn't question Obama's parenting skills."

well, there is nothing to question there like people have tried to do with Palin.

Pictures?

[QUOTE=flushingjet;2803471]Is Google blocked at your house?

Chicago Annenburg Challenge, Woods Fund,

U. of Chicago, 1997

[URL]http://www-news.uchicago.edu/releases/97/971104.juvenile.justice.shtml[/URL]

Ayers will be joined by Illinois State Sen. Barack Obama, Senior Lecturer in the University of Chicago Law School, who is working to block proposed legislation that would throw more juvenile offenders into the adult system

One hundred years later, the system is “overcrowded, under-funded, over-centralized and racist,” Ayers said

Michelle Obama, Associate Dean of Student Services and Director of the University of Chicago Community Service Center, hopes bringing issues like this to campus will open a dialogue between members of the University community and the broader community.
    “We know that issues like juvenile justice impact each of us who live in the city of Chicago. This panel gives community members and students a chance to hear about the juvenile justice system not only on a theoretical level, but from the people who have experienced it.”

U. of Illinois

[URL]http://www.uic.edu/classes/las/las400/conferencealt.htm[/URL]

[B]Saturday, April 20th 2002 2:15-3:45 p.m.
    IV. Intellectuals in Times of Crisis
    [/B]Experiences and applications of intellectual work in urgent situations.
    [INDENT][B]William Ayers[/B], UIC, College of Education; author of [I]Fugitive Days[/I]
    [B]Douglass Cassel[/B], Northwestern University, Center for International Human Rights
    [B]Cathy Cohen[/B], University of Chicago, Political Science
    [B]Salim Muwakkil[/B], Chicago Tribune; In These Times
    [B]Barack Obama[/B], Illinois State Senator
    [B]Barbara Ransby[/B], UIC, African-American Studies (moderator)

[/INDENT][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by piney

I am not saying people who want to find out more about Ayers/Obama are silly, I am saying that to categorize Palin as simply shedding light on the situation is silly.

She is trying to paint Obama as a anti-America terrorist sympathizer.

Big difference
    [/QUOTE]

People hear what they want to hear. I didn't think that was what she was implying. But I can see your point. Just as I could never understand the euphoria people felt when Obama kept repeating hope and change. I can see the reason why these same people may feel anger in Palins description of Obama and Ayers.

[QUOTE] [B]She doesn't care about Obama's associations,[/B] she want to stir up the mob against Obama.
    [/QUOTE]

What brought you to that conclusion?

[QUOTE]Quote:
    "Who is Obama?" - Is a valid question.

no it isn't. It is a stupid and vague question being used to create a sense of xenophobia.
    [/QUOTE]

I disagree. Who Obama is, is a very valid question he may very well be the next President. Who he is, what he has done, why he wants to be President and his plans if he becomes President are all valid questions.

[QUOTE]there is a big difference with what Obama's association with Ayers is and with what Palin infers with the term "Pal's around".

Palin is directly trying to closely link Obama and Ayers Weather Underground activities. She is trying to use someone's feelings for one person's actions and link them to someone else.[/QUOTE]

Again, there is a big difference between what I may perceive hope, change and "pal's around" to be than your perception. So were disagreeing on nuance here?
    It's hard to believe it would be slanderous and fanning the flames of hate to remind people that Obama and Ayers are connected.

[QUOTE=vicious89x;2799206]You know what? This is the CRAP republicans who are TRUE republicans have to put up with. Every party has their ignorance but for the love of god, McCain is good person, he served our country and IMO it's a DAMN SHAME that GW beat him out in 2000, cause I voted for McCain then, but I believe he's too old now. Incredible how this guy has to tell his supporters "Really, he's not a bad person, we just disagree on politics."

The state of politics in this country boggles my mind.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree: McCain would have been at the least a very good President, and maybe even a great one - damn shame Bush got in ahead of him in 2000.