Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official New York Rangers 2008-2009 season thread.

JetsInsider.com Legend

Official New York Rangers 2008-2009 season thread.

3-0 in Philly tonight.

At the opener last night I met Adam Graves, that was a cool moment.

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    3-0 in Philly tonight.

At the opener last night I met Adam Graves, that was a cool moment.

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!
    AND.....it's the return of SBIII!

Please pick up the name that you just dropped. Someone might trip and fall over it.

All League
    I just read today's Daily News articles online and saw a comment how the NYR could 'just as easily be 0-4 as the 4-0 they are...' Unreal!
    This team has come out firing on all cylinders and some mope finds SOMETHING to b*tch about! Whatever.
    Anyway, this is going to be a fun team to watch.
    All 4 lines are flying up & down the ice & Voros is a HUGE improvement over Hollweg. His pick up may be the biggest as the season goes on. The dude is a beast AND has some offensive skills.
    Looking forward to the Devs tonight. I expect a physical game but I truly believe the NYR are the far superior team and it will show.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Let's go for 5-0 tonight! I'll be there again!

Should be a fun game tonight. Both teams are off to strong starts. Maybe my Devs can actually beat you guys this year.

All League
    What can you say?
    A dominating 4-1 victory over the Devs.
    The NYR are clicking on all cylinders and look ridiculously solid.
    Every one is giving 110%, Hank looks like he is OVER being the Vezina runnerup, and Voros has been unreal!
    Not enough superlatives to describe this 5-0 start.
    They have also done this with minimal O from their #1 line. If they get going.....WOW!!!
    So far Slats gets a blazing A+++ for his off season acquisitions.

All League
    It was bound to happen.
    They played an uninspired game against a very INSPIRED Sabre team.
    The NYR played well enough defensively to win but offensively, not so good.

Renney re-opened 'Chateau Bow-Wow' last night and Naslund was the first tenant.
    My previous post was filled with '5-0 Magic' so I gave Naslund a pass. He has not played well since returning from Europe. Too early to panic but it won't take long for the fans to come down on him if he continues to kind of float around.

All League
    Great game, crappy ending.
    That was a blast to watch.
    The Red Wings are so friggin' talented it isn't funny. But the NYR stood toe to toe and if not for an iffy Too Many Men call they could have won this 4-3 in regulation.
    I thought it was a penalty but after replays it could have gone either way.
    The OT lasted only 28 seconds because the NYR did not come out ready. Sloppy play by Redden/Roszival, game over.
    6-1-1 after 8 games......NICE!!!!!
    One more game Monday and then they can rest for the week.

All League
    Boy, it sure is quiet in here.....I am posting to myself.
    Anyway, another solid win last night at The Mausoleum.
    Last night I never felt that the Icelanders could win.
    They played hard for 2 periods but there is a HUGE talent difference between these two teams.
    The only way the Isles beat the NYR even once this year is if injuries hit or a full game lay down happens.
    Glad to see Drury score. He can now settle in and play his game.
    Nothing at all to b*tch about.
    9-2-1 after 12 is PERFECT!!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    I'm very happy with this start, Al, its been great to watch this team roll so early, but I fear it is all for naught because this team doesn't have enough scoring

IMO Sather has to acquire at least one bona-fide sniper or the Stanley Cup is a longshot

I don't know how he's gonna do it, or if, but he has to get a bigtime goal scorer before the deadline

But who do you think might be available before the deadline?
    Gaborik(likely) and Kovalchuck(maybe) could be available at the deadline.

Glen would have to get creative.

Gomez centering Kovalchuck would be pretty lethal though.

Veteran
    Incredible start, I'm loving the pace of the game we're playing. It's about time we're playing an AHL style of play in the NHL. Speed is what kills in the new NHL. Hank is a GOD! LGR!!!

I watched an entire Rangers game for the first time this season (minus the one vs. the Devs) with my buddy who is a Rangers fan and the number one thing I took from it is that Zherdev is nasty. That was a great off-season acquisition for you guys.

was at the game tonight, a fun game to watch. the game started to cook in the 2d. Zherdev is an amazing talent. his puck skills are sick. he took the atlanta team out of the play on the game winner, gerardi had the atlantic ocean to shoot at. his diving poke check on the breakaway in the 1st period was a beauty. what a great pickup. hope he stays and doesn't go back to russia. down oil prices down!
    Last edited by nyahay bus; 10-31-2008 at 12:17 AM.

All League
    IMO Sather has to acquire at least one bona-fide sniper or the Stanley Cup is a longshot
    This is the only problem I've ever had with Ranger fans. You always perceive yourself as if you have to "buy off" a cup. It's crazy, you have a very talent loaded team that is going to bloom in the next 2-3 years. You don't water a flower with piss. "was that a metaphor"? No, seriously, you do not water a flower with piss.

The Rangers are seriously a ****ing deadly team right now. Throw Zherdev in there (and goddamn that was a steal of a trade) and you're Buffalo 2 years ago (today) NOW, keep that team for two extra years... There's your key. Problem is, Sather is a bum, he rode his entity by himself on the luck of one very talented team, and a few very good drafts, he should remember that. (Keep in mind, this is the dude that LITERALLY SOLD Wayne Gretzkey, yes, money). I give him the benefit of the doubt though, and anyone here last year knows my stance on grabbing Drury and Gomez in one swoop, but I'll glady admit I over-stated. Will you win the cup this year? No. It is however, a feasible prediction.

The economy this year has lowered next years cap by a minimum of $5mm, you have around $2mm to piss away. Gaborik is a definate deadliner, Kovalchuk is definately gone (BRG beat me to it, but spot on is spot on).

So here's my answer in two forms.

Yes, but you will literally be the pittsburgh penguins last year, lose the cup, lose many prominent prospects, lose somebody's best friend, and not have the cap to recoup it.

No, Minnesota may not want to let their #1 go, and Kovalchuk will be shopped for nothing less than a godly return, he is (not only imo, but many others) top 3 in this league, expect to clear your farm, alot of your draft and a roster player or two. Russian superstars are not cheap.

In short, 3 "pure snipers" exist, all are injury prone. I have confidence that NYR's players have the heart in the cup. Not even 20 games into the season, don't stress it. You do, after all, have Zherdev.

All League
    Thanks Steel

I'll Give Atlanta Peter Prucha and any three prospects they want

Or maybe Prucha, two top prospects and a first round pick
    He's got 2 years left on that contract, he will be big bucks if he get's shipped out (which I do fully expect). This guy is a less havoc-wreaking force than Ovechkin by very little. Should the Rangers land him somehow (and that will take some miracle) my money is there. They're going to see some nice roster return... bah, I talk, they traded my boys Heatley for Hossa and Devries (so, basically Hossa straight up).

One statistic has always been well established though, land that big time Canadian boy Put Simon Gagne on the Rangers, and I'm done with hockey for the season, I already know who wins.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    You guys know I'm brutally honest when it comes to my Rangers. I don't wear blue tinted glasses or drink the blue Koolaide.

I pleaded last year to rid the team of Hollweg, Malik, Orr and Valliquette. Well, 2 are gone. I will admit that Orr has re-devoted himself and came into camp in tremendous shape and obviously worked on his skating and his hockey skills have improved. I'm still not convinced that Valliquette is the guy I want backing up the King. Why do I feel like it's a loss anytime he starts (except against Philly)? Note: I started writing this before the Toronto game last night)

I didn't get the chance to see Dane Byers in the pre-season. I don't understand why this kid was shipped to Hartford...again. He is a power forward who is an enforcer and puts up good numbers. I don't get that. I hope he gets a chance soon because my fear is he will eventually go the way of Hugh Jessiman but will wind up being a monster for another team. I don't see Jessiman being a monster.

I'm thrilled the team is winning. But something's missing. It's a fast, hard-working blue collar team but they seem to have to over-achieve to score. It's hard to bring that style for 60 minutes every night. I think it is the defensive philosophy and Lundqvist that are primarily responsible for the early success. I don't see this success going on indefinitely unless a change is made. Scoring needs to come a little easier. Like someone else had said, they need a sniper. I think Gaborik would be the perfect choice for this team. But I have no idea what it would take to get him.

First of all, I don't see much of a future for Petr Prucha and Nigel Dawes on this team. Prucha gives his all but he's just not the finisher he was 3 years ago. Dawes looks lost. He's got talent but this system doesn't seem to suit him. I can't put my finger on it. He's not contributing at all and I'm surprised he's playing as much as he is. And neither one can put a body on anyone effectively.

I'm not sure what Minnesota would want for Gaborik. He's "injured" right now but I'm not sure if it's an injury or the impasse in contract talks with Minnesota that's keeping him out of the lineup. He's making $7.5M so the Rangers would have to unload quite a bit of salary to fit him in. Of course, you'd start with Dawes and Prucha. Adding in Korpikosky and a high draft pick could get it done maybe but that's still not enough paring of salary. Rozsival's salary is killing the Rangers this year. For some stupid reason, Sather front loaded his salary so that he counts for $7M against the cap this year. Insane.

If it can be done, I'd do it in a heartbeat. That's in Sather's hands. But I would only do it if I could agree on a long-term deal with Gaborik upfront. He's an UFA next year. His price will only go up then for those of you thinking about just waiting until then. And there's always the threat of a defection to the Russian league. Gaborik is only 26. He has a lot of hockey left. He's worth the investment IMO.

By the way, terrible finish last night. Henrik would have stolen a win. Valliquette is not that guy. I still stand by my stance on him. This team needs a more reliable back-up. I don't care if he's a great guy or not.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Where are the Ranger fans? One of the best starts in team history and the Devils fans and Islander fans are out-chatting us.

Anyway, I mostly liked the effort against the Lightning although I was not happy with the work against the LeCavalier, St. Louis and Prospal line. That line dominated IMO.

It is time to end the Prucha era and I am not at all impressed with Nigel Dawes. I'd rather have Shanny playing than either of those two.

BTW, I love Zherdev (no homo).

Thoughts? Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Where are the Ranger fans? One of the best starts in team history and the Devils fans and Islander fans are out-chatting us.

Anyway, I mostly liked the effort against the Lightning although I was not happy with the work against the LeCavalier, St. Louis and Prospal line. That line dominated IMO.

It is time to end the Prucha era and I am not at all impressed with Nigel Dawes. I'd rather have Shanny playing than either of those two.

BTW, I love Zherdev (no homo).

Thoughts? Discuss.
    I've been wondering where the local Rangers fans like yourself have been. The NHL Forum is a little lonely without you bums.

All League
    OK, we are officially in a rut!
    This is not the same team that came back from Europe.
    I didn't expect 82-0 but I did expect the pressure forechecking to continue. It has been mostly gone for 2 weeks now & the sub-.500 record in the time period shows it.
    I will not get on Renney ever. I am a big fan. He can work with what he has been given and try & mold it together. He is still trying to get lines that consistently produce & I am sure he is frustrated with the results.

Last night we had a team at the end of a LONG road trip. If the NYR come out blazing, hitting and puck chasing this could have been a blowout.
    NOPE!! Polar opposite happened.
    They did play that style the last period & a half but by that time they had to overcome a 2 goal deficit.

I expect this team to right the ship and continue to lead the East. I truly believe they are the best team in the conference. They just need to get back to the aggressive style and quick!!