Thread: Barack Obama Television Advertising In New York State!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Barack Obama Television Advertising In New York State!

In the past week I have seen a Barack Obama For President advertisement on television - twice.

Why would Obama now be advertising in New York State?

The television stations in Albany broadcast in four states - New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, and even the NW part of Connecticut. I don't think any of these states are potential John McCain states. Are they?

Moreover, the only down-the-ballot Democrat in the Albany area in a tough race is Albany County DA P. David Soares. He's vulnerable because he didn't do a good job of covering his tracks when he was trying to cover the tracks of Billionaire Gov. Eliot Spitzer regarding troopergate. All other Democrats running for office around here look pretty safe.

McCain doesn't have any ads around here. Obama's ad started appearing less than a week ago. Prior to that - nothing! I wonder why.

Is Obama advertising in your area?

:jets18

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update: Just saw the same Obama ad again. It was on during the Cowboys-Cardinals football game. The other two times it was aired on local programming.

These television advertisements aren't cheap! They must be advertising here for some good reason.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2801680]
    Is Obama advertising in your area?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

In Virginia, Obama Television Ads outnumber NcCain Ads ~10-to-1

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing only a few short weeks ago, there were many rightwingers claiming Obama had "big money problems".

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Living in Florida, I am bombarded during every commercial break by both candidates.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen a lot of Obama commercials here in NJ during the past few days. Pretty crazy, because I don't think I've ever seen Presidential campaign commercials before, except when I lived in PA 4 years ago. NJ is an automatic blue state lock all the time, so I don't know why he'd be running these ads here.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2801915]I've seen a lot of Obama commercials here in NJ [B]during the past few days[/B]. Pretty crazy, because [B]I don't think I've ever seen Presidential campaign commercials before[/B], except when I lived in PA 4 years ago. NJ is an automatic blue state lock all the time, so I don't know why he'd be running these ads here.[/QUOTE]

Same here!

NJ and NY are not supposed to be competitive. Virginia, Florida, Pennsylvania - these states it's easy to understand Obama and McCain ads.

Additionally, the ad seems about a month old - pre-Wall Street financial meltdown. It focuses on Obama giving middle-class tax cuts and criticizes McCain for wanting to give corporations tax breaks. The economy is going to NEED investment via corporate tax breaks more than middle-class tax cuts. If this is a national advertisement the Obama campaign should have selected a better point to make.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, there is a reason: New York is in the nation, hence national ad buys air there.

Obama is so well financed that he's buying national ads, which is why you'll see them in states he's winning by 15+ percentage points, such as NY.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;2801763]Amazing only a few short weeks ago, there were many rightwingers claiming Obama had "big money problems".[/QUOTE]

He's got more money than god. In fact, he is god!?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well played.

[QUOTE=HessStation;2802136]He's got more money than god. In fact, he is god!?[/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is for change. What change he hasn't said!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2801974]The economy is going to NEED investment via corporate tax breaks more than middle-class tax cuts. [/QUOTE]

So McSame should come out and say that then. Except he is a chicken.

Go ahead...on national TV say that "I, John McCain, think that large corporations should receive significant tax breaks and all you "middle class" voters trying to get by shouldn't get a dime. Tax breaks for Enron. Not a thing for Joe Homeowner."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2802056]Obama is so well financed that he's buying national ads, which is why you'll see them in states he's winning by 15+ percentage points, such as NY.[/QUOTE]

The ad he is running here is not very good. If it's the national ad, then it's not really that persuasive if you're an Independent voter in a swing state.

It's message is obsolete.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2802474]So McSame should come out and say that then. Except he is a chicken.

Go ahead...on national TV say that "I, John McCain, think that large corporations should receive significant tax breaks and all you "middle class" voters trying to get by shouldn't get a dime. Tax breaks for Enron. Not a thing for Joe Homeowner."[/QUOTE]

I think, given the idea behind it, it would be more like:

"I, John McCain, think that giving tax breaks to our large, economy engine corporations, is the best way to drive our entire economy. The less tax they pay, the less the American people will pay (as we all know corporations don;t actually pay tax, they just pass the cost on to the consumer).

By giving tax breaks to these companies, it frees up capital to foster investment, growth and job creation, which helps everyone. And it also forces the Govt. to made do with less, be more efficient, and to prioritize what and why it spends the tax money it takes in. The days of wanton spending on any pork project are over."

Not that I neccessarily agree, but I think I logical sounding argument could be made. Sadly, I don;t think the average John Q Public would get it regardless, so it's a lose lose anyway.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2802574]Not that I neccessarily agree, but I think I logical sounding argument could be made. [/QUOTE]

Of course it could....and it would be a valid point. But thanks to the tried and true brand of modern politics, refined and established by Rove & Co., 3 second sound bytes make or break campaigns.

They made their bed...now they gotta lay in it. Oh, and remember all that crap Bush likes to pull with executive privilege and ****? I betcha Republicans are gonna realize they shot themselves in the foot with that one...once a Dem assumes that office. They are real men of genius...or the gene pool. I forgot which...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2802515]The ad he is running here is not very good. If it's the national ad, then it's not really that persuasive if you're an Independent voter in a swing state.

It's message is obsolete.

:jets18[/QUOTE]

The polls suggest otherwise.