Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should some people not vote?

[QUOTE=pauliec;2802636]I'm not disputing the [B]right [/B]to vote. But should someone ever say, "You know what? I don't know enough about these guys to make an informed decision. I'm not going to vote."[/QUOTE]

And, judging from the level of intelligence among the people you're addressing with this topic, what leads you to believe that they're mentally capable of following that line of logic?

Why do you think the cadidates go on the View and all the other BS shows? Think they want to get their message out? No, they want to be liked and could care less if you know what they will do once in office.

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2803106]And, judging from the level of intelligence among the people you're addressing with this topic, what leads you to believe that they're mentally capable of following that line of logic?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=pauliec;2802636]I'm not disputing the [B]right [/B]to vote. But should someone ever say, "You know what? I don't know enough about these guys to make an informed decision. I'm not going to vote."[/QUOTE]

sing that logic, then shouldn't people who may be racist, homophobic, etc. not vote?

Wouldn't those viewpoints tend to lead someone to not truly make an informed decision?

[QUOTE=piney;2803118]sing that logic, then shouldn't people who may be racist, homophobic, etc. not vote?

Wouldn't those viewpoints tend to lead someone to not truly make an informed decision?[/QUOTE]

Well, yes, obviously. Someone who is voting based on race isn't making the best decision for this country.

Yea how many times has race played a part in a Presidential election?

[QUOTE=pauliec;2803121]Well, yes, obviously. Someone who is voting based on race isn't making the best decision for this country.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=pauliec;2803121]Well, yes, obviously. Someone who is voting based on race isn't making the best decision for this country.[/QUOTE]

So what are you proposing? An entrance exam for voter registration? Or are you just wishing for idiots to have the capability of making smart decisions?

If your point is the former, then that's not very democratic. And if it's the latter, then I don't know what to tell you. I guess I just don't understand where you're going with all of this, other than the fact that you saw a video geared to make a bunch of young Obama supporters look stupid and decided to disguise it with an unrealistic concept of self-restricted voting.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cr726;2803125]Yea how many times has race played a part in a Presidential election?[/QUOTE]

42!

[IMG]http://albums.mouseplanet.com/MPPromotional/hitchhikers2.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2803128]So what are you proposing? An entrance exam for voter registration? Or are you just wishing for idiots to have the capability of making smart decisions?

If your point is the former, then that's not very democratic. And if it's the latter, then I don't know what to tell you. I guess I just don't understand where you're going with all of this, other than the fact that you saw a video geared to make a bunch of young Obama supporters look stupid and decided to disguise it with an unrealistic concept of self-restricted voting.[/QUOTE]

I'm not proposing anything, I'm not on some crusade to disenfranchise voters, and I didn't intend this to be veiled jab at Obama voters. I just thought it was an interesting video and I posted it.

It's upsetting how stupid people are in this country, and that while voting is a right, it's also an awesome privilege that people should take seriously. We're all very spoiled in this country.
    Last edited by JetsFan2012; 10-13-2008 at 03:01 PM.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2803158]I'm not proposing anything, I'm not on some crusade to disenfranchise voters, and I didn't intend this to be veiled jab at Obama voters. I just thought it was an interesting video and I posted it.

It's upsetting how stupid people are in this country, and that while voting is a right, it's also an awesome privilege that people should take seriously. We're all very spoiled in this country.[/QUOTE]

And the sad part is both parties prey on the stupid and the ignorant. Because quite frankly there's a lot more uninformed ignorant people then well informed people who truly care. JMO.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2803158]

It's upsetting how stupid people are in this country, and that while voting is a right, it's also an awesome privilege that people should take seriously. We're all very spoiled in this country.[/QUOTE]

The level of intelligence across the majority of voters is offset by the civil mindset that comes with everything. Though people might be uninformed, they're certainly respectful of the process that enables them.

The 2000 election is the perfect example of this. In so many other countries across the world, tanks would have aligned the streets and there would have been would have been a serious power struggle that would most likely have incited an absurd level of violence. Not here, everyone went about their business the next day and shrugged it off.

There's no gangs waiting outside the ballot boxes, no threat of physical violence or forced hardship from supporters...there's simply options. So what you consider a reasonable mentality towards uninformed voters, I consider simply one of the best parts about the American experiment. Everyone, from the lowly moron to the most educated guy you can find, has a say, and they have the right to voice whatever their opinion they have (no matter how stupid someone else considers it), to whoever they want. I like the fact that people don't have to consider voting a privilege, because it SHOULD be (and is) considered a right, even to the uninformed person. Such is Democracy...
    Last edited by RutgersJetFan; 10-13-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2802562]I think Paulie's POINT is a valid one.

While we in here like to think of ourselves as at least somewhat well-informed, there is a huge portion of our voting population who, if you really checked, is laughably, horrificly, stunningly UNINFORMED, almost to the level of abject ignorance.

No, of course they're not all Obama (or Democratic) voters. ****, go to any number of right-wing churches and you'll find the same.

But for every one of them, they kill and make meaningless, YOUR vote or MY vote.

I'm not saying they shouldn't vote, or be allowed to vote or that there is any soultion to this issue.....but the point of how deeply dumb and abjectly uninformed a wide swatch of our population is, is in my opinion an unquestionable fact.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It's really what's wrong this country at its core. We're fastly becoming a nation of idiots..

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2802647]In a vacuum, you may have a point.

[B]But, unfortunately, it seems that often the least informed are among the most motivated to pull the lever, in my experience.[/B][/QUOTE]

Funny, cause last time I looked they also breed the most, on average..

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;2802745]Paulie -

With the right to vote, also comes the right not to vote. Plenty of people will say, as you put it: "You know what? I don't know enough about these guys to make an informed decision. I'm not going to vote."

Or, they'll say "I don't care." "My vote doesn't make a difference." Or some variation thereof. And that's fine.

There are a couple of problems when we start to think about our nation as a democracy.

First of all, it's not a democracy. It's a republic. Huge difference. In a democracy, every vote counts and majority rules. In a republic, individual entities (which we call states) elect national officials that they feel will best represent the people within their constituency.

I can see the logic in setting up a republic back in the late 1700s. Back then, interstate commerce was not a big factor. We did not have the infrastructure in place (and obviously the technology) to facilitate true interstate commerce. So, each state pretty much had its own economy and it's own views to represent. They also didn't have the technology to track each individual vote. It made sense, therefore, to give each state a certain number of electorates and have those electorates go represent their state in selecting the next President.

It makes no sense today. State economies are so interconnected that where we live no longer determines what is best for us. I live in Connecticut, but most of my customers are in the MidAtlantic and MidWest. My interests, and my family's well being, are tied to factors well outside of Connecticut. Yet, my state will cast all it's votes for one party, as it everyone in the state voted for that party. In this day and age, that's ridiculous.

The other major problem is the two-party system. It sets up a situation where people don't have to find reasons to support their candidate. All they have to do is find reasons to trash the other candidate. It makes for bad decisions, and bad politics.

Imagine if their were four or five legitimate candidates right now. You wouldn't be able to cast a vote that was simply "Anti-McCain", or "Anti-Obama". You'd have a real choice. And you'd have to really look at what each candidate represented. We don't have that today. The system we have today allows a lot of lazy people to simply say "I support candidate X because he's not candidate Y." Eventually, that argument reduces itself to: "Candidate X is great, and candidate Y sucks." It really dumbs down the decision making process, causes a lot of unnecessary division in the country, and we all get hurt in the end.[/QUOTE]

Interesting.

I guess eliminating the republic would cut pork, as these slobs will no longer be able to withhold their vote until one of their pet projects for their constituencies

You are absolutely right. We might be better off if uninformed people were self aware enough to make that judgement. Or better yet, recognize their ignorance and educate themselves about the issues before the election. However, ironically, being that self aware requires a degree of intelligence and usually isn't the kind of thing you find in a moron who thinks there are 50 Senators from each state or that Roe v. Wade was about "a black guy and a white guy". I weep for our future.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2802429]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvl0lqhCVio[/url]
    [/QUOTE]
    Lol, I used to know these guys. I used to see the Disco Biscuits in tiny bars around Philly and NJ like the Deal Roadhouse and Andy Bernstein wrote multiple versions of the Pharmers Almanac, the unofficial guide to Phish. Good for them.

[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61X3XHJ5W3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=RutgersJetFan;2803172]The level of intelligence across the majority of voters is offset by the civil mindset that comes with everything. Though people might be uninformed, they're certainly respectful of the process that enables them.

The 2000 election is the perfect example of this. In so many other countries across the world, tanks would have aligned the streets and there would have been would have been a serious power struggle that would most likely have incited an absurd level of violence. Not here, everyone went about their business the next day and shrugged it off.

There's no gangs waiting outside the ballot boxes, no threat of physical violence or forced hardship from supporters...there's simply options. So what you consider a reasonable mentality towards uninformed voters, I consider simply one of the best parts about the American experiment. Everyone, from the lowly moron to the most educated guy you can find, has a say, and they have the right to voice whatever their opinion they have (no matter how stupid someone else considers it), to whoever they want. I like the fact that people don't have to consider voting a privilege, because it SHOULD be (and is) considered a right, even to the uninformed person. Such is Democracy...[/QUOTE]

There are no tanks, guns, or violence because the whole system is heavily regulated and mandated with election laws. As a country, we really got the whole process down to a science, starting with local election regulations going all the way up to intervention from the Supreme Court, if need be. And, in my opinion, this is what spoils us.

People just shrug their shoulders and go about their business because they think this is the norm. We have such a civil, law abiding society due to the spirit of democracy that no one would even think about having a violent revolt during an election.

We have mastered the system, and it is indeed a great system, but it's one that people definitely take for granted.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=CTM;2803191]Funny, cause last time I looked they also breed the most, on average..[/QUOTE]

Smart people think sex is yucky....:D

Banned
    this video is slamming the young voters of being stupid. thats cool... but you should have followed suit with the youtube video of the old lady calling obama an arab. now that was just the capital of stupidity.

All League
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2802445]Yes you do.[/QUOTE]
    yes he clearly does..

[QUOTE=jetgreen13;2803637]yes he clearly does..[/QUOTE]

What, is everyone speaking in code?

Bushy, if you have something to say, stop being coy about it.