Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should some people not vote?

Should some people not vote?

Watch this quick video from ABC and then ponder the question -- do some people have no business voting? Would they be doing a civic duty to just stay home and watch old episodes of TMZ? Certainly, some of the street interviews in the video were frightening. How could people be so uninformed?

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvl0lqhCVio[/url]

Not to take anything away from Obama's campaign, but it's no wonder that he's got such a large percentage over McCain, especially among young voters. Throw out a couple buzzwords like "change" and "hope", pair them to a young, dynamic, black candidate, pick up endorsements from a few high-profile celebrities, and you'll have slack-jawed morons and high school dropouts lining up around the corner on Election Day.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2802429]Not to take anything away from Obama's campaign, but it's no wonder that he's got such a large percentage over McCain, especially among young voters. Throw out a couple buzzwords like "change" and "hope", pair them to a young, dynamic, black candidate, pick up endorsements from a few high-profile celebrities, and you'll have slack-jawed morons and high school dropouts lining up around the corner on Election Day.[/QUOTE]

So your idea is that young voters are stupid? Did Bush win because of young, stupid voters in 2000 and 2004? Should the young troops fighting in Iraq not have a vote?
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 10-13-2008 at 02:11 AM.

Your arrogance is frightening sometimes. You automatically assume they all will be voting for Obama.

You had to go to Nova. Arrogance is not an option there it is a rule, the Elite Wildcats, where the only blacks you see are the athletes.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2802429]Watch this quick video from ABC and then ponder the question -- do some people have no business voting? Would they be doing a civic duty to just stay home and watch old episodes of TMZ? Certainly, some of the street interviews in the video were frightening. How could people be so uninformed?

Not to take anything away from Obama's campaign, but it's no wonder that he's got such a large percentage over McCain, especially among young voters. Throw out a couple buzzwords like "change" and "hope", pair them to a young, dynamic, black candidate, pick up endorsements from a few high-profile celebrities, and you'll have slack-jawed morons and high school dropouts lining up around the corner on Election Day.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2802432]So your idea is that young voters are stupid? Did Bush win because of young, stupid voters in 2000 and 2004? Should the young troops fighting in Iraq not have a vote?[/QUOTE]

Well, most of the people in that video were young, but to call [B]all[/B] young voters stupid is ridiculous and and a knee-jerk generalization. I'm a young voter, and I don't think I'm stupid. At least I know how many senators represent each of the 50 (not 51) states. I didn't present the question, John Stossel did. I only asked you to consider it.

The troops thing is a completely illogical, asinine comment. I don't even know what that means.
    Last edited by JetsFan2012; 10-13-2008 at 02:27 AM.

[QUOTE=cr726;2802440]Your arrogance is frightening sometimes. You automatically assume they all will be voting for Obama.

You had to go to Nova. Arrogance is not an option there it is a rule, the Elite Wildcats, where the only blacks you see are the athletes.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, who do you think those kids at the rock concert are going to vote for: the young, hip, hopeful candidate promising change, or the old bastard from the evil Republican party with the crooked grin and the bad temper?

Again with the name calling and the assumptions. What a small, insecure man you must be.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2802443]The troops thing is a completely illogical, asinine comment. I don't even know what that means.[/QUOTE]

Yes you do.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2802444]Honestly, who do you think those [B]kids at the rock concert[/B] are going to vote for: the young, hip, hopeful candidate promising change, or the old bastard from the evil Republican party with the crooked grin and the bad temper?

Again with the name calling and the assumptions. What a small, insecure man you must be.[/QUOTE]

That is the whole reason behind this thread, the place where it was filmed, i'm sure there are plenty of places to find clueless voters from both sides of politics who have views with no real idea.

To answer the question asked though, no, you get everyone to vote, you get a more accurate representation of the countries desire, isn't that what democracy is meant to be all about?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2802444]Honestly, who do you think those kids at the rock concert are going to vote for: the young, hip, hopeful candidate promising change, or the old bastard from the evil Republican party with the crooked grin and the bad temper?

Again with the name calling and the assumptions. What a small, insecure man you must be.[/QUOTE]

2 things...now all of a sudden, everyone who goes to "rock concerts" (wtf, are you 50?) are stupid and only voting for Obama because of their ignorance? **** Sinatra....he sucks balls. ;)

And...the young ignorant vote balances out with McCain's old ignorant vote. I betcha all the inbred yee-haw hillbilly hill scoggins who think Obama is a dumb n----r live in them there hills to the tune of the same number of Obama change voters.

C'mon, Paulie...I thought you were better than this. Don't start flailing your arms around just because McCain already lost. Obama > McCain. Just accept it.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2802444]Honestly, who do you think those kids at the rock concert are going to vote for: the young, hip, hopeful candidate promising change, or the old bastard from the evil Republican party with the crooked grin and the bad temper?

Again with the name calling and the assumptions. [B]What a small, insecure man you must be[/B].[/QUOTE]

Do you feel better now, Pauliec? Funny that after trying to call out someone for name calling that you resort to the same behavior. (I"m picking on you because you're a frequent poster on here and I'd like to think that you're better than this. Wasn't there a solid week of concern by the mod's over this kind of nonsense?)

I hope that you don't honestly believe that one side of the aisle benefits more than the other from an uninformed electorate - I think most reasonable people can look to either side and see examples. There are plenty of people (3 million, in fact) who tuned into FOX news's BS piece, hosted by Sean Hannity, which gave an entire hour to some guy who has been preaching that Obama is, in fact, a closet Muslim who is working to take over the world. A Republican State Senator from VA actually forwarded an email wondering aloud if he is the Anti-Christ, using false quotes from Scripture to support the idea. How many people have been voting Republican because they believe that Saddam Hussein was behing 9-11?

Stupidity is not partisan. It'd be nice to think that only the informed are allowed to vote, but that's not how our system is designed, and I'd like to think that despite its flaws, we're the better for it.

Where did I call you a name? I referenced your arrogance.

Honestly you have no idea who they are voting for and for you to make that assumption is hysterical.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2802429]Watch this quick video from ABC and then ponder the question -- do some people have no business voting? Would they be doing a civic duty to just stay home and watch old episodes of TMZ? Certainly, some of the street interviews in the video were frightening. How could people be so uninformed?

Not to take anything away from Obama's campaign, but it's no wonder that he's got such a large percentage over McCain, especially among young voters. Throw out a couple buzzwords like "change" and "hope", pair them to a young, dynamic, black candidate, pick up endorsements from a few high-profile celebrities, and you'll have slack-jawed morons and high school dropouts lining up around the corner on Election Day.[/QUOTE]

Paulie try asking people your in contact with everyday. Ask a few questions you would be surprised at how many people dont have the slightest clue as to whats going on.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2802429]...it's no wonder that he's got such a large percentage over McCain...[/QUOTE]

There is one Presidentail poll out there where McCain has the 'large percentage' over Obama. And it's a pretty important poll that I'm sure the McCain campaign stares at 24/7.

Anyone know what Presidential poll that is?

:jets18

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=AlbanyJet;2802527]There is one Presidentail poll out there where McCain has the 'large percentage' over Obama. And it's a pretty important poll that I'm sure the McCain campaign stares at 24/7.

Anyone know what Presidential poll that is?

:jets18[/QUOTE]

Senior Citizens who really dont give a rats ass about the future. ;)

I think Paulie's POINT is a valid one.

While we in here like to think of ourselves as at least somewhat well-informed, there is a huge portion of our voting population who, if you really checked, is laughably, horrificly, stunningly UNINFORMED, almost to the level of abject ignorance.

No, of course they're not all Obama (or Democratic) voters. ****, go to any number of right-wing churches and you'll find the same.

But for every one of them, they kill and make meaningless, YOUR vote or MY vote.

I'm not saying they shouldn't vote, or be allowed to vote or that there is any soultion to this issue.....but the point of how deeply dumb and abjectly uninformed a wide swatch of our population is, is in my opinion an unquestionable fact.

[QUOTE=cr726;2802505]Where did I call you a name? I referenced your arrogance.

Honestly you have no idea who they are voting for and for you to make that assumption is hysterical.[/QUOTE]

I thanked you for your service about a month ago and I meant that. But seriously, you are a dummy.

[QUOTE=Smashmouth;2802557]Senior Citizens who really dont give a rats ass about the future. ;)[/QUOTE]

Nope!

It's a Presidential poll that's used every election. It favors John McCain and judging by McCain's restraint I expect them to finally pull out their guns and...further develop it.

:jets18

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2802471]2 things...now all of a sudden, everyone who goes to "rock concerts" (wtf, are you 50?) are stupid and only voting for Obama because of their ignorance? **** Sinatra....he sucks balls. ;)

And...the young ignorant vote balances out with McCain's old ignorant vote. I betcha all the inbred yee-haw hillbilly hill scoggins who think Obama is a dumb n----r live in them there hills to the tune of the same number of Obama change voters.

C'mon, Paulie...I thought you were better than this. Don't start flailing your arms around just because McCain already lost. Obama > McCain. Just accept it.[/QUOTE]

You can't be serious with this post. If a white dude posted something like this we'd be called a racist. How's this PK...do you think the average black athlete knows what the issues are or are they voting for Obama because he's black? Of course, we'll have to wrestle through their middle school education explanation to figure out what they just said...:rolleyes:

OK, I guess I didn't articulate my post as gracefully as I could have. I didn't mean to imply that all of Obama's supporters are idiots, and that McCain's supporters are immune to stupidity. I definitely didn't mean that, and if you guys have been paying attention, I'm not even supporting McCain in this election. So, sorry about that.

But Smashmouth said, "Try asking people you come in contact with everyday." Well, I do do that. I'm 24 years old, and it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that most of my peers (probably in the 80% range) are voting for Obama. And if you ask them why, more often than not you get the boring, cliched response that he will bring about some sort of vague change. When you press them, they say, "Well, he's not a Republican." Of course there are just as many ignorant supporters on the McCain side of the aisle, especially, as Plumber referenced, the racist good ol' boys in the south. I guess I'm just used to what I come in contact with everyday: the blissfully ignorant early 20s voters who are only "interested" in politics every 4 years, depending on the candidate. And most of these people are voting for Obama because celebrities tell them to. Next time I'll take into account the general population, but when I posted this at 1am on a Sunday night, I was only thinking about what I come in contact with on a daily basis.

[QUOTE=Warfish;2802562]I think Paulie's POINT is a valid one.

While we in here like to think of ourselves as at least somewhat well-informed, there is a huge portion of our voting population who, if you really checked, is laughably, horrificly, stunningly UNINFORMED, almost to the level of abject ignorance.

No, of course they're not all Obama (or Democratic) voters. ****, go to any number of right-wing churches and you'll find the same.

But for every one of them, they kill and make meaningless, YOUR vote or MY vote.

I'm not saying they shouldn't vote, or be allowed to vote or that there is any soultion to this issue.....but the point of how deeply dumb and abjectly uninformed a wide swatch of our population is, is in my opinion an unquestionable fact.[/QUOTE]

Right, the comment about those young whippersnappers at the rock concert aside, my overall point was just shock at how uninformed these voters are. In the video you had people who didn't know what Roe v. Wade was, or couldn't even recognize Joe Biden. I mean, [I]come on[/I]. So, I thought the question in the video was, at the very least, an interesting one: would a moron be doing a civic duty to voluntarily not vote on election day?
    Last edited by JetsFan2012; 10-13-2008 at 11:01 AM.

Uninformed voters are a fact of life in Democracy.

I see no difference, frankly, between some know-nothing college kid voting for the guy because their friends are than the know-nothing churchgoers who got wrapped up in a similar phenomenon with Bush, or the know-nothings at McCain's rallies who declare that Obama is an Arab or terrorist. Should they be voting?

If you believe in Democracy, you have to believe that everyone has a right to vote.

It's up to the campaigns to persuade low-information voters as well as those who do their homework.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2802471] **** Sinatra....he sucks balls. ;)
    [/QUOTE]

did you just slam Frank Sinatra on columbus day? BOO this MAN!