Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: McCain ranked 894 out of 899 at Naval Academy???

[QUOTE=CTM;2805625]Palin is a joke of a candidate.

the national disgrace which would be Palin.[/QUOTE]

Finally, something we agree on.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2805685]Tell me the rule.[/QUOTE]

there are several obvious rules - here are a few:

Those who finish top of their class are operating on a higher level than those who finish at the bottom of their class.

Those who make it through 1 school in 4 years are operating on a higher level than those who need 6 schools to get a 4 year degree.

Those who have post graduate degrees are operating on a higher level than those who don't.

Those who have an ivy league education are operating on a higher level than those who don't.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;2805685]And, just because there may be some rule doesn't mean that there aren't exceptions. That's the point.[/QUOTE]

I agree - obviously there are exceptions to the above rules - but statistically it's just not probable to expect the exceptions. or look at a person you like and hope they are the exception. It's wishful thinking. Like when Dan Leberfeld went all nutty about Bollinger.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;2804863]you've got to be kidding. it's a fact that mccain didn't exactly have great grades at usna but he went to usna and that counts for a heck of a lot more than boy baracks affirmative action education at either columbia or havard. moreover, there is a very high mortality rate for military pilots of all kinds. it is not surprising that he crashed 7 jets, it's important that he was able to walk away.

i remember in 1992 when clinton had the veteran groups desert bush 41 and demeaned his crash landing during the war. does anyone actually know where he happened to crash land? well let me fill you in, he crash landed off an island called chuchi jima which was located just off of iwo jima. he happened to get picked up by a submarine. undoubtably, if he had stayed in the water much longer, he would have been taken prisoner on chuchi jima. well maybe that doesn't sound so bad. a war sort of winding down (at least the enemy was all but defeated) and maybe the captors wouldn't be so bad. well just the opposite is true. the general and other officers on the island thought that they could gain strength through eating the hearts and other organs of their prisoners. and they did. a number of american flyers were captured and executed and their hearts eaten by their captors. the whole story can be read in the book fl boys by james bradley.

anyway, the point is that unless you've really served in the armed forces, especially in combat, it's impossible to know what's what. these guys look very different to the outsiders. you can see how obama makes light of mccain's time in the hanoi hilton. mccain does too because he would rather laugh than cry about what happened to him there. obama has also criticised mccain for his divorce. again, mccain suffered greatly during the war. those guys just don't come back right. it takes time to work all that horror out. maybe his ex-wife didn't have the patience or understanding. these things happen and obama should thank his lucky stars that guys like mccain have served for centuries bailing asses like obama out all over the planet.

as for obama's scholastic record? nobody knows. he's not telling so it be very well that boy barack was also an anchorman. i'll tell you what. after hearing him speak in the last two debates it's plenty obvious to me that the guy is a dope. he is not only very ignorant of the facts but he can't even ariculate them very well.[/QUOTE]

McCain obviously got into the USNA due to his connections. He surely did not get in due to his stellar grades like most of the other students. Becauseif he did get in on merit his grades would have been well up over 90 % did he all of a sudden become an idiot and pull a D average ? How many Pilots Fly into power lines and take out aircraft carriers ?

[QUOTE=Smashmouth;2806021]McCain obviously got into the USNA due to his connections. He surely did not get in due to his stellar grades like most of the other students. Becauseif he did get in on merit his grades would have been well up over 90 % did he all of a sudden become an idiot and pull a D average ? How many Pilots Fly into power lines and take out aircraft carriers ?[/QUOTE]

Has Obama released his High School transcript? I'm just curious what his grades were that got him into Occidental College.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Timmy-y-y-y;2804829]And McCain's father and grandfather were admirals, so you can be sure he wouldn't have graduated without them pulling strings.

So let me get this straight:

President-Bottom one percent of class/crashed 7 planes.

Vice President-Hockey Mom/Joe Six Pack/yer darn tootin'

Am I on Candid Camera? Are you guys all in on it?[/QUOTE]

And I thought you lost your sense of humor since you started posting in Politics. :D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2806038]Has Obama released his High School transcript? I'm just curious what his grades were that got him into Occidental College.[/QUOTE]

Are you asking me that question as If Im voting for Obama ? Just to clear that up I live in Texas, A state that Obama has no chance in winning so I will make a statement vote and write in Ron Paul.

Either way I can tell you this. Im not sure you get into Harvard becuase you have connections as a poor black kid. Surely I don't know Obama's full story but that would be my first impression

[QUOTE=Smashmouth;2806046]Are you asking me that question as If Im voting for Obama ? Just to clear that up I live in Texas, A state that Obama has no chance in winning so I will make a statement vote and write in Ron Paul.

Either way I can tell you this. Im not sure you get into Harvard becuase you have connections as a poor black kid. Surely I don't know Obama's full story but that would be my first impression[/QUOTE]

No, I'm just asking. In a thread dedicated to McCains lacking school skills and how he got into the N.A., I think it's fair to compare them with Obama's High School Grades, wouldn't you say?

And getting into Harvard is indeed tough. But judging how Obama got in there would have little to do with his High School grades, and more with his graded at Occidental (School #1) and Columbia (School #2). I have a feeling those would have been much more important in that admission.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;2804863]you've got to be kidding. it's a fact that mccain didn't exactly have great grades at usna but he went to usna and that counts for a heck of a lot more than boy baracks affirmative action education at either columbia or havard. moreover, there is a very high mortality rate for military pilots of all kinds. it is not surprising that he crashed 7 jets, it's important that he was able to walk away.

i remember in 1992 when clinton had the veteran groups desert bush 41 and demeaned his crash landing during the war. does anyone actually know where he happened to crash land? well let me fill you in, he crash landed off an island called chuchi jima which was located just off of iwo jima. he happened to get picked up by a submarine. undoubtably, if he had stayed in the water much longer, he would have been taken prisoner on chuchi jima. well maybe that doesn't sound so bad. a war sort of winding down (at least the enemy was all but defeated) and maybe the captors wouldn't be so bad. well just the opposite is true. the general and other officers on the island thought that they could gain strength through eating the hearts and other organs of their prisoners. and they did. a number of american flyers were captured and executed and their hearts eaten by their captors. the whole story can be read in the book fl boys by james bradley.

anyway, the point is that unless you've really served in the armed forces, especially in combat, it's impossible to know what's what. these guys look very different to the outsiders. you can see how obama makes light of mccain's time in the hanoi hilton. mccain does too because he would rather laugh than cry about what happened to him there. obama has also criticised mccain for his divorce. again, mccain suffered greatly during the war. those guys just don't come back right. it takes time to work all that horror out. maybe his ex-wife didn't have the patience or understanding. these things happen and obama should thank his lucky stars that guys like mccain have served for centuries bailing asses like obama out all over the planet.

as for obama's scholastic record? nobody knows. he's not telling so it be very well that boy barack was also an anchorman. i'll tell you what. after hearing him speak in the last two debates it's plenty obvious to me that the guy is a dope. he is not only very ignorant of the facts but he can't even ariculate them very well.[/QUOTE]

Shift button broken?

Being black might have helped him get into Harvard but there is no way did Obama become President of the Harvard Law Review by affirmative action. He earned it, by being voted to the position by the top 3% of his class. If they did this because he is black it would be wholly unprecedented. Why is it so hard to admit that the guy is bright? Really, it doesn't make him a bad guy.

But I do agree with you that McCain being at the bottom of his class doesn't disqualify him in any manner. He got in to the Naval Academy. He is a genuine hero. He is more than smart enough. We have had plenty of good presidents that did not excell academically. (I'm still not voting for him, though, as I believe he showed extremely poor judgment in picking Palin as his running mate.)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;2804925]there have been no records released about obama's time at either columbia or harvard. as for the havard law review, these things are akin to political appointments. i don't if he was selected on merit. more than likely he was installed y ted kennedy. and as for grades. what exatly does that mean anyway? it's not like he was in a program like math or physics where his work could be proved one way or another. he was trained to be a lawyer and half of being a lawyer is being able to bulls@@t your way around the legal system. there is no right grade wrong grade A grade or F grade and once you get into these programs your graduation is just about guaranteed especially if you have a sugardaddy benefactor like teddy waiting in the wings.

did you watch the dem convention? did you watch his lead in lfe accomplishment video? did you see any mention of his time at either columbia or harvard? of course not. e apparently went diectly from being a basketball plaer in high school to community organzer and then on to the prez candidate of the dems. call it editing his accomplishments so that he didn't seem so elitist or anything else. the fact that his colligiate records have not been released should be troubling. is he hiding something? most people would be proud of there accomplishments. moreover, the boy spent 12 years at teh u of chicago law school as a professor!!! he was offered tenure!!! do you also realize that he didn't publish a single paper on his chosen profession or legal decision!!!!! this in an industry where you must publish or perish. he did nothing. just what the heck made him entitled to get all he did?? in his book he describes himself as having overcome the temptations of drugs. is this guy for real??? like he was the only one but did the others get a chance to go to columbia or harvard?

the guy is dirty. he comes from the chicago machine and i believe he was installed there shortly after he left columbia and before he entered havard. there is way more here than meets the eye.[/QUOTE]

What a joke. Ted Kennedy came no where near the Harvard Law Review. Do you really believe this stuff?

This is what our society has come to. Suddenly finishing at the top of your class at the best school in the nation is something to be ashamed of or that you should hide, or folks like you will attack. I think you are the one hiding something. And not that well. Clue: It starts with ra and ends with sm.

because the simple fact is that he is not so bright. watch the debates. his is a more eloquent speaker than mccain but his plans don't hold water. you simply can't fund the programs that he wants to fund and raise taxes at the same time. the government budget does need a hatchett and not a scalpel though their are some programs that should be cut more than others.

one point that mccain was not able to make. obama has offered up nearly 1B of ear marks in his short career in the senate. according to obama himself, earmarks "only" comprise 18B of the budget. now there rae two points to make. point number 1 is that even though 18B is not a large amount considering the whole budget, it is very significant when you consider the amount of the budget already allocated to entitlements. these discretionary funds are maybe 400 B. the balance of the budget is not changeable.

point number 2 is that that very same amount of ear mark spending more than what even obama plans to spend on alternative energy. now the question to ask is: are the earmarks more important than the alternative energy research and development programs? i think even the most ardent obamanut will go for the research though obama did not state anything this way. what he stated was that he will go through the budget and cut out things that were not worthy. hmmm.... worthy to who? his cronies? himself? so basically what he will do is earmarks things that he agrees with but not necessarily those that are good for the people? i'm not so sure that obama can be trusted at all in this regard. he will have an awful lot of payback to hand out if he is elected and the people who have been mentioned to be in his cabinet, such as robert rubin and larry summers, are the same guys that caused a large parts of the current financial crisis through their allaowing of unrestricted derivatives trading. and this is a problem.

[QUOTE=RIJetFan;2806099]Shift button broken?

Being black might have helped him get into Harvard but there is no way did Obama become President of the Harvard Law Review by affirmative action. He earned it, by being voted to the position by the top 3% of his class. If they did this because he is black it would be wholly unprecedented. Why is it so hard to admit that the guy is bright? Really, it doesn't make him a bad guy.

But I do agree with you that McCain being at the bottom of his class doesn't disqualify him in any manner. He got in to the Naval Academy. He is a genuine hero. He is more than smart enough. We have had plenty of good presidents that did not excell academically. (I'm still not voting for him, though, as I believe he showed extremely poor judgment in picking Palin as his running mate.)[/QUOTE]