Thread: Obaman campaigns on Madden

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Obaman campaigns on Madden

[url]http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/10/14/obama-campaign-buys-ads-in-madden-gamers-will-see-signs-on-stad/1#c14874548[/url]

[QUOTE]Barack Obama's presidential campaign has found an interesting new way to reach young voters: Campaign ads in the Madden video game.

TheHill.com reports that Obama has purchased space in Madden NFL 09. If you're playing the game on your Xbox you might see an Obama sign in the stands or an Obama billboard outside the stadium. Players will only see the ads if they're playing online in one of the 10 swing states that the campaign is targeting: Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Indiana, Montana, North Carolina, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio and Wisconsin.

The ads started running last week and will be visible until the day before Election Day. In addition to Madden, Obama has bought ads in nine other EA video games: Burnout Paradise, NASCAR 09, NHL 09, NBA Live 08, Need For Speed: Carbon, Need For Speed: ProStreet, NFL Tour, and Skate[/QUOTE].

I'm not sure of the value of it, but it's a little surprising that it hasn't been done before. I saw this on AOL Fanhouse and people were somehow outraged about it. I don't see it being different than any other advertising, thoughts?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;2804980][url]http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/10/14/obama-campaign-buys-ads-in-madden-gamers-will-see-signs-on-stad/1#c14874548[/url]

I'm not sure of the value of it, but it's a little surprising that it hasn't been done before. I saw this on AOL Fanhouse and people were somehow outraged about it. I don't see it being different than any other advertising, thoughts?[/QUOTE]
    I know a little bit about the space. Maybe it's just for kicks or a little splash, but I doubt Obama's campaign would, or more appropriately, did make a significant effort into game advertising. Car makers famously made a push into Half-Life (Sims? Totally forget), but the problem was, when they did that, they were committing a heinous mistake - they were giving up control of the message. It came to be that online douchebags were buying the e-gear and hurting the brand. I think it was Toyota trucks, not sure, but once the advertisers saw what was going on they pulled up stakes.

It was one of the funnier stories I ever heard about online advertising. They had a vid capture of some guy saying doing really, really stupid stuff with his Toyota truck.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    anecdotally i believe madden to be a game where more adults play than kids.