Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Lead Toys, Poisonous Dog Food, and now Tainted Milk for Children

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Lead Toys, Poisonous Dog Food, and now Tainted Milk for Children

Not to mention a long, horrible track record of crimes against human rights. Can we please stop dealing with this commie ****-hole of a country?

[QUOTE]HK boy sick after drinking tainted milk
    10/15/2008 | 08:26 PM

HONG KONG – Hong Kong has found an eighth child with kidney stones after drinking Chinese-made milk contaminated with an industrial chemical, the government said Wednesday.

The 8-year-old boy was hospitalized after being diagnosed with a stone in his right kidney, the Department of Health said in a statement.

He has blood in his urine but did not show symptoms of renal problems, government spokesman Lam Tsz-wai said.

The Hong Kong boy has been drinking three packs of pure milk produced by Chinese dairy Yili Industrial Group Co. each week since 2003, Lam said.

Yili products were earlier confirmed to contain melamine, which was used to make plastics and fertilizers.

Baby formula contaminated with melamine has been blamed for causing the deaths of four infants and sickening about 54,000 other children in mainland China. More than 10,000 children remained hospitalized.

Various Chinese-made milk and dairy products have been found to contain melamine. [B]Authorities say Chinese suppliers might have added the chemical, which is rich in nitrogen, to watered-down milk to deceive quality tests for protein.[/B] - AP [/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is why when people say china is the next big threat, im not really all that concerned

how can an economy so rife with corruption become the best in the world? how can they lead when they are poisoning their childrens' milk? it's just not gonna happen. I can appreciate rapid growth rates but let's be real their economy right now is the size of CT, projecting the rates of growth to go unchanged and eventually China economy to be bigger than USA assumes that gov't sorts itself out, that's a big assumption.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It’s been all over the news here. Reports have also suggested that authorities were aware of the risk and did nothing.

My guess is we’ll soon find out it wasn’t just children’s milk, it’s every product with milk in it.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;2805507]It’s been all over the news here. Reports have also suggested that authorities were aware of the risk and did nothing.

My guess is we’ll soon find out it wasn’t just children’s milk, it’s every product with milk in it.[/QUOTE]

That's absolutely despicable.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Regulations stifle the free market. They have every right to sell poisoned milk if they want to.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    China is going through what America went through in the late 19th early 20th century.

All they need is some homegrown muckrakers.

In the meantime, Americans just need to be more careful on what they buy and I like the idea of putting the "country of origin" sticker on every food product.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MachineGunFunk;2805779]In the meantime, Americans just need to be more careful on what they buy and I like the idea of putting the "country of origin" sticker on every food product.[/QUOTE]

You would be able to save billions on labels if we just labeled what WASN'T from China...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I work in Global Trade, all I can is that there is a very simple relationship with China.

Americans buy more crap then anyone else on this planet
    The Chinese make the most crap on this planet

Hence the trade deficit. But like someone mentioned, they wont' be a "true" world power until they get their ish together

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2805504]this is why when people say china is the next big threat, im not really all that concerned

how can an economy so rife with corruption become the best in the world? how can they lead when they are poisoning their childrens' milk? it's just not gonna happen. I can appreciate rapid growth rates but let's be real their economy right now is the size of CT, projecting the rates of growth to go unchanged and eventually China economy to be bigger than USA assumes that gov't sorts itself out, that's a big assumption.[/QUOTE]

I visited the headquarters of Abbott Labs while I was in Shanghai last year. I spoke to one of their brand managers about the deals that were available on counterfeit goods on Nan-jing Road. He responded by telling me that the counterfeiting that western companies (luxe goods, consumer products) worry about means nothing to them. The bigger problem was the counterfeit meds, and baby formula that people in China depend on to live....

We've known about this crap for a long time, yet we continue to invest in that government. It's really disturbing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who the hell is getting their milk from China?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TerryBadway;2805794]
    We've known about this crap for a long time, yet we continue to invest in that government. It's really disturbing.[/QUOTE]

we govern using deficit spending and they make it happen by buying our debt.

for better or worse US and china are partners not rivals.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    They killed my dog.

F'em all.

....and Nutro and the Government for allowing this crap to come into the country.
    Last edited by chicadeel; 10-15-2008 at 04:18 PM.