Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

View Poll Results: Who won the debate?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama Killed It

6 9.52%
  • Obama Won

23 36.51%
  • Obama by a Little

7 11.11%
  • Draw, Goes to Obama

5 7.94%
  • Draw, no one wins

5 7.94%
  • Draw, Goes to McCain

1 1.59%
  • McCain by a Little

2 3.17%
  • McCain Won

7 11.11%
  • McCain Killed It

3 4.76%
  • McCain started off strong, but faded and Obama started poorly but ended strongly

4 6.35%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The OFFICIAL Final Presidential Debate Results Thread / Poll

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2806664]McCain's answer on abortion is spot-on, IMO. His biggest issue with Roe v. Wade is the nature of the ruling, i.e. taking power away from the states and putting it on the federal government. Of course he doesn't want to outlaw abortion, that would be nonsensical.[/QUOTE]

That's not what the crazies want to hear. Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with McCain's stance on the issue...

I just think Rush is gonna get alot of spittle on his mic tomorrow...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Joe the Plummer

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2806663]is that what you got from that? I got more of a jumbled, evasive, non-answer filibuster from that... but again, it could be the cognac :D

someone else chime in as well please[/QUOTE]

No, he didn't say that. He said he wouldn't nominate judges along ideologues, but later said that someone who voted for a federal mandate of abortion wasn't qualified to be nominated based on their enforcement of the constitution.

He played the middle ground but basically said he wouldn't nominate someone who supported it, nto cause it was abortion, cause it was a state issue

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2806675]Which "org." is that? The hard-hitting, truthful, unbiased press?[/QUOTE]

Factcheck.org is about as unbiased as you can get. They have been very fair about fact checking both candidates

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2806621]You going to give us a few more of those great "scientific" polls that sample 80% Dems/20% Repubs, then call it unbiased and scientific.;)

Save your CNN and Washington Post Polls. I'll wait for a legitimate polling groups results.[/QUOTE]

Why don't you use your mod privileges to level the playing field a little. It's only fair. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTM;2806681]No, he didn't say that. He said he wouldn't nominate judges along ideologues, but later said that someone who voted for a federal mandate of abortion wasn't qualified to be nominated based on their enforcement of the constitution.

He played the middle ground but basically said he wouldn't nominate someone who supported it, nto cause it was abortion, cause it was a state issue[/QUOTE]

but it wasn't very clear what his answer was, correct?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JMUJet;2806683]Factcheck.org is about as unbiased as you can get. They have been very fair about fact checking both candidates[/QUOTE]

Ah, ok. I agree, I just didn't know what you meant.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    His education ideas made zero sense. He wants troops to become teachers without any type of certification. Great idea.

I also find it interesting that McCain doesn't want to punish the poor when it comes to education, but they are on their own when it comes to health insurance.

[QUOTE=pauliec;2806639]For the record, McCain won on the economy, foreign relations not involving Iraq, and killed on abortion. His line about not throwing money at the education problem was great, too.

But he was just too inconsistent.[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2806685]but it wasn't very clear what his answer was, correct?[/QUOTE]

It was clear to me, he was getting off on a technicality to appeal to moderates but not fire up the social conservative base.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2806686]Ah, ok. I agree, I just didn't know what you meant.[/QUOTE]

And Im pretty sure that the claim by Obama that McCains adds have been 100% negative will be proven to be false..... but again we will see....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2806621]You going to give us a few more of those great "scientific" polls that sample 80% Dems/20% Repubs, then call it unbiased and scientific.;)

Save your CNN and Washington Post Polls. I'll wait for a legitimate polling groups results.

Oh, wait, no I won't. Obama has this election in the bag, the post-debate yap is meaningless theatre.[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree that snap polls are silly --although they are better than having the talking heads declare a winner without evidence, I guess-- but CNN said its poll was 40% dems/30% repubs, while the country as a whole is 36% dem/27% republican right now.

They also broke out the independents in their poll: Obama won them 57-31.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2806663]...but again, it could be the cognac :D

[/QUOTE]

:eek:

Cognac? Is that a fancy word frenchie, arugala eating, starbucks sipping elitists use for beer?

I'm ____ the Plumber. I drink American beer I bought from an American store which I then drove home to my American house in my American car and put in my American fridge which I then made my American wife get for me after the mountains turned blue because I was too lazy to get of my American ass because I was watching the American debate between the American and the Arab on my American TV.

Cognac...wtf? ;)jk, my freind...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTM;2806693]It was clear to me, he was getting off on a technicality to appeal to moderates but not fire up the social conservative base.[/QUOTE]

Here's the transcript:

Schieffer: All right. Let's stop there and go to another question. And this one goes to Sen. McCain. Sen. McCain, you believe Roe v. Wade should be overturned. Sen. Obama, you believe it shouldn't.

Could either of you ever nominate someone to the Supreme Court who disagrees with you on this issue? Sen. McCain?

McCain: I would never and have never in all the years I've been there imposed a litmus test on any nominee to the court. That's not appropriate to do.

Schieffer: But you don't want Roe v. Wade to be overturned?

McCain: I thought it was a bad decision. I think there were a lot of decisions that were bad. I think that decisions should rest in the hands of the states. I'm a federalist. And I believe strongly that we should have nominees to the United States Supreme Court based on their qualifications rather than any litmus test.

Now, let me say that there was a time a few years ago when the United States Senate was about to blow up. Republicans wanted to have just a majority vote to confirm a judge and the Democrats were blocking in an unprecedented fashion.

We got together seven Republicans, seven Democrats. You were offered a chance to join. You chose not to because you were afraid of the appointment of, quote, "conservative judges."

I voted for Justice Breyer and Justice Ginsburg. Not because I agreed with their ideology, but because I thought they were qualified and that elections have consequences when presidents are nominated. This is a very important issue we're talking about.

Sen. Obama voted against Justice Breyer and Justice Roberts on the grounds that they didn't meet his ideological standards. That's not the way we should judge these nominees. Elections have consequences. They should be judged on their qualifications. And so that's what I will do.

I will find the best people in the world -- in the United States of America who have a history of strict adherence to the Constitution. And not legislating from the bench.

Schieffer: But even if it was someone -- even someone who had a history of being for abortion rights, you would consider them?

McCain: I would consider anyone in their qualifications. I do not believe that someone who has supported Roe v. Wade that would be part of those qualifications. But I certainly would not impose any litmus test.

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/15/debate.transcript/index.html[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;2806700]:eek:

Cognac? Is that a fancy word frenchie, arugala eating, starbucks sipping elitists use for beer?

I'm ____ the Plumber. I drink American beer I bought from an American store which I then drove home to my American house in my American car and put in my American fridge which I then made my American wife get for me after the mountains turned blue because I was too lazy to get of my American ass because I was watching the American debate between the American and the Arab on my American TV.

Cognac...wtf? ;)jk, my freind...[/QUOTE]

Budweiser is Belgian, Miller is South African and Coors is Canadian. There is no American beer for you to drink other than microbrews, which are, of course, elitist.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tanginius;2806704]
    Schieffer: But even if it was someone -- even someone who had a history of being for abortion rights, you would consider them?

McCain: [B]I would consider anyone in their qualifications. I do not believe that someone who has supported Roe v. Wade that would be part of those qualifications.[/B] But I certainly would not impose any litmus test.

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/15/debate.transcript/index.html[/url][/QUOTE]

This last part to me says that he thinks someone who supports Roe V. Wade, a federal allowance of abortion, would [I]not [/I]be qualified. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the way I read it.
    Last edited by CTM; 10-15-2008 at 11:41 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL... what do you expect? I'm an elitist prick, I drink cognac or fine Italian and French reds, Amarone, Brunello, Bordeaux, etc :D

but I'm also a man of the people because I grow my own arugula (along with lots of other herbs, vegetables and lettuces)! :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Cognac is tasty.

Arugula is tasty.

Starbucks coffee sux.

American beer: Microbrews are tasty. Miller and Bud suck azz.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2806705]Budweiser is Belgian, Miller is South African and Coors is Canadian. There is no American beer for you to drink other than microbrews, which are, of course, elitist.[/QUOTE]

elitist AND the best! :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2806712]Cognac is tasty.

Arugula is tasty.

Starbucks coffee sux.

American beer: Microbrews are tasty. Miller and Bud suck azz.[/QUOTE]

I agree except all coffee sucks if you ask me

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CTM;2806709]This last part to me says that he thinks someone who supports Roe V. Wade, a federal allowance of abortion, would be qualified. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the way I read it.[/QUOTE]

Really? I think it's pretty clear he meant that anyone who supports Roe v. Wade would not be qualified.