Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm Proud of America

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2806997]Is this the only requirement for President now?

I hope we elect a Puerto Rican President next, regardless of the qualifications.

And yet, we've never had a guinea in the White House. How is that supposed to make [I]me [/I]feel?[/QUOTE]

I know you say you're 24 years old, and I can forgive the inability to see history. But, forgive me, your view seems to lack heart. You can't find something remarkable in this? Nothing laudable? Frank would...

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Blast;2806995]You twist his words so you can purposely misinterpret his post. :tsk:

He is trumpeting the fact that this country has reached a new milestone. When a black man has a VERY strong possibility of being elected to the most powerful position in the world, it is a positive sign that the people in this country have made tremendous advances against prejudice.

You can like or dislike Obama's politics, but the fact is, socially, this is a vary positive thing.[/QUOTE]

This is indeed a great time for our country, and it's a HUGE milestone, epecially considering how far we've come in 50 years. I've said it before, this election is staggering in regard to the history that's being made. It's pretty awesome to be living through it and experiencing it.

But I'm just going off of Bushy's words: he has major reservations about the candidate, but he's happy we're electing a black guy. How am I supposed to interpret that?

Look, this would have happened sooner or later, and the evidence is all around us. To say that you're unsure of Obama's qualifications, but you are happy that at least he's black doesn't make sense to me. Personally, I would have liked to see Colin Powell run -- not because of his race, but because of his experience and leadership qualities. And I definitely would have voted for him over McCain.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fukushimajin;2807004]I know you say you're 24 years old, and I can forgive the inability to see history. But, forgive me, your view seems to lack heart. You can't find something remarkable in this? Nothing laudable? Frank would...[/QUOTE]

Absolutely I do, see the above post.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2806997][B]Is this the only requirement for President now?[/B]

I hope we elect a Puerto Rican President next, regardless of the qualifications.

And yet, we've never had a guinea in the White House. How is that supposed to make [I]me [/I]feel?[/QUOTE]

Yes that was the point. We should elect solely on race.

Thank you for calling me out on it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2807016]Absolutely I do, see the above post.[/QUOTE]

Very good. When I was exactly your age the 1994 electoral disaster happened (Gingrich, Pataki etc) and it sucked for me. But, things have a way of turning around so as painful as the next couple of months (years) might be, its not the end of the world.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2806835]Barrack Obama is going to be the next president of the United States. I don't know that he's the best man for the job. I have a lot of reservations about him. But the fact that a man that a majority of American's view as "a black man" is about to become president at the very least speaks something about the advancement of this country to look beyond racial lines in choosing a leader.[/QUOTE]

You might want to trade in your crystal ball for a new one....It's giving you bad visions....Osama's alliances to Ayers and Wright will bite him in the ass....This man will not be President.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crazyeffinjetsfan;2807043]You might want to trade in your crystal ball for a new one....It's giving you bad visions....Osama's alliances to Ayers and Wright will bite him in the ass....This man will not be President.[/QUOTE]

See, this is the problem with watching Fox all the time -- it hasn't prepared you for the overwhelming liklihood of Obama winning by a wide margin. Take it from me, defeat is easier to take when you see it coming.

No one cares about Ayers and even fewer care about Wright.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chris Rock had a good line about this:

He said he was proud that the first black guy to get a major party nomination was Barack Obama. He said he wouldn't have been proud if it was Flava Flav.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crazyeffinjetsfan;2807043]You might want to trade in your crystal ball for a new one....It's giving you bad visions....Osama's alliances to Ayers and Wright will bite him in the ass....This man will not be President.[/QUOTE]

Everyone knows about Ayers and Wright. No one cares.

Well, almost no one.

[QUOTE]CNN Poll on how much Ayers matters to voters
    Great Deal 23
    Somewhat 14
    Not Much 11
    Not At All 51 [/QUOTE]

Note the resemblance between the percentage of people who think Ayers is really important and the percentage who think Bush is doing a good job.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2806899]Mrs. Obama? That you?[/QUOTE]

They'll make a great first couple.

[IMG]http://gothamist.com/attachments/jen/2007_12_opob.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2807075]Chris Rock had a good line about this:

He said he was proud that the first black guy to get a major party nomination was Barack Obama. He said he wouldn't have been proud if it was Flava Flav.[/QUOTE]

That was great. I think I heard that on Larry King.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2807082]Everyone knows about Ayers and Wright. No one cares.[/QUOTE]

I do not believe that is accurate.

I think "most people" know only what the media has told them, they know the name ayaes and Wright, but feel (like the media) that teh relationships were minor and unimportant and in no way relevant.

How the masses would feel in a world of full disclosure, I cannot say. As I said elsewhere, the Economy is the full and unrelating issue this election will be won on, and Obama is the one who's message is resonating, and hence he will win.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    BS, it isn't about race and it never was

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fukushimajin;2807067]
    No one cares about Ayers and even fewer care about Wright.[/QUOTE]

I love the fact that the rapeublicans are reaching for anything to try to manufacture outrage at Obama. The vast majority of Americans don't know about Ayers, a lot of them don't even know he even exists.

The McBush-Phil Gramm connection is a whole lot more troublesome than any of these scandals the conservatives are trying to create against Obama. McBush thinks the guy who deregulated Wall St. and caused the current economic disaster is one of the smartest people on the planet.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2806960]You don't know if he's the best man for the job, and in fact you have a lot of reservations about him, but you're proud for America nevertheless. So obviously you support him based on race alone. Congratulations.

Give me a ****ing break.[/QUOTE]

No Paulie, you missed my point. Until 1960, the notion of a catholic president was unthinkable. Had I been around back then I wouldn't have voted for Kennedy because he was catholic. But after he was elected, I would have acknowledged America had overcome a long held prejudice.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [quote=pauliec;2807013]This is indeed a great time for our country, and it's a HUGE milestone, epecially considering how far we've come in 50 years. I've said it before, this election is staggering in regard to the history that's being made. It's pretty awesome to be living through it and experiencing it.

[B]But I'm just going off of Bushy's words: he has major reservations about the candidate, but he's happy we're electing a black guy. How am I supposed to interpret that?[/B]

Look, this would have happened sooner or later, and the evidence is all around us. To say that you're unsure of Obama's qualifications, but you are happy that at least he's black doesn't make sense to me. Personally, I would have liked to see Colin Powell run -- not because of his race, but because of his experience and leadership qualities. And I definitely would have voted for him over McCain.[/quote]

As for what I bolded, I didn't get the feeling he meant it the way you interpreted it. Maybe you're right and I'm wrong. No biggie, either way.

I completely agree with the rest of your post. I would also vote for Powell, if I could. Unfortunately for America, Powell is too smart to run. :(
    </IMG>

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2807202]No Paulie, you missed my point. Until 1960, the notion of a catholic president was unthinkable. Had I been around back then I wouldn't have voted for Kennedy because he was catholic. But after he was elected, I would have acknowledged America had overcome a long held prejudice.[/QUOTE]

I see what you mean. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Indeed, this country has come a long way. I just don't think he's the right man for the job at this time.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2807112]I do not believe that is accurate.

I think "most people" know only what the media has told them, they know the name ayaes and Wright, but feel (like the media) that teh relationships were minor and unimportant and in no way relevant.

How the masses would feel in a world of full disclosure, I cannot say. As I said elsewhere, the Economy is the full and unrelating issue this election will be won on, and Obama is the one who's message is resonating, and hence he will win.[/QUOTE]

Which is pretty sad, considering he will continue to implement Bush's economic policies; drunken spending,overreaching programs, and "globalization of the economy" i.e. shipping all jobs to foreign countries. Add massive tax increases to the equation, and a foolish strategy of "trickle up economics" and the picture looks downright rosy.
    P.S. The tax rebate that all Americans got was an example of trickle up economics. How'd that work out?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;2807218]I see what you mean. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Indeed, this country has come a long way. I just don't think he's the right man for the job at this time.[/QUOTE]

No problem. And maybe I didn't word my post as well as I could have. When I said I'm still not sure he's the right man for the job, I guess what I was really thinking is that the problems facing us are so big and so varied right now, I'm not too sure there's a "perfect" candidate out there. I think he'll be good on some things, maybe not so good on others. I feel the same way about McCain. Also I'm not too happy with the Democratic leadership in the house. There are some good Republican candidates for the senate I expect to be voting for.
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 10-16-2008 at 12:49 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed.

I remember watching Obama's speech at the Democratic National Convention in 2004, and thinking "Wow, this guy is really inspirational and has a ton of political potential. Too bad Americans would never vote for a black guy named Barrack Obama to be President."

Well, over 4 years later, here we are.