Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Secret Service: "Kill Him" claim unfounded

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Secret Service: "Kill Him" claim unfounded

Probably won't make the news

[URL="http://www.timesleader.com/news/breakingnews/Secret_Service_says_Kill_him_allegation_unfounded_.html"]http://www.timesleader.com/news/breakingnews/Secret_Service_says_Kill_him_allegation_unfounded_.html[/URL]

[QUOTE]
    By Andrew M. Seder [email]aseder@timesleader.com[/email]
    Staff Writer
    SCRANTON – The agent in charge of the Secret Service field office in Scranton said allegations that someone yelled “kill him” when presidential hopeful Barack Obama’s name was mentioned during Tuesday’s Sarah Palin rally are unfounded.
    The Scranton Times-Tribune first reported the alleged incident on its Web site Tuesday and then again in its print edition Wednesday. The first story, written by reporter David Singleton, appeared with allegations that while congressional candidate Chris Hackett was addressing the crowd and mentioned Oabama’s name a man in the audience shouted “kill him."
    News organizations including ABC, The Associated Press, The Washington Monthly and MSNBC’s Countdown with Keith Olbermann reported the claim, with most attributing the allegations to the Times-Tribune story.
    Agent Bill Slavoski said he was in the audience, along with an undisclosed number of additional secret service agents and other law enforcement officers and not one heard the comment.
    “I was baffled,” he said after reading the report in Wednesday’s Times-Tribune.
    He said the agency conducted an investigation Wednesday, after seeing the story, and could not find one person to corroborate the allegation other than Singleton.
    Slavoski said more than 20 non-security agents were interviewed Wednesday, from news media to ordinary citizens in attendance at the rally for the Republican vice presidential candidate held at the Riverfront Sports Complex. He said Singleton was the only one to say he heard someone yell “kill him.”
    “We have yet to find someone to back up the story,” Slavoski said. “We had people all over and we have yet to find anyone who said they heard it.”
    Hackett said he did not hear the remark.
    Slavoski said Singleton was interviewed Wednesday and stood by his story but couldn’t give a description of the man because he didn’t see him he only heard him.
    When contacted Wednesday afternoon, Singleton referred questions to Times-Tribune Metro Editor Jeff Sonderman. Sonderman said, “We stand by the story. The facts reported are true and that’s really all there is.”
    Slavoski said the agents take such threats or comments seriously and immediately opened an investigation but after due diligence “as far as we’re concerned it’s closed unless someone comes forward.” He urged anyone with knowledge of the alleged incident to call him at 346-5781. “We’ll run at all leads,” he said.[/QUOTE]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SanAntonio_JetFan;2806900]Probably won't make the news

[URL="http://www.timesleader.com/news/breakingnews/Secret_Service_says_Kill_him_allegation_unfounded_.html"]http://www.timesleader.com/news/breakingnews/Secret_Service_says_Kill_him_allegation_unfounded_.html[/URL][/QUOTE]

Good. Usually the threat of superior force makes these bumpkins behave. Its amazing what the 101st Airborne was able to achieve during the civil rights period.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its obviously a racist coverup. :mad:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;2806943]Its obviously a racist coverup. :mad:[/QUOTE]

Right. The things caught on tape, like a guy yelling "terrorist" at the top of his lungs or "off with his head" clearly indicated that there was no reason for concern on the part of the Secret Service. How foolish of them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    for the record they're only talking about one event on Tuesday in PA, not ALL the events where people have said that or 'terrorist', etc

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=fukushimajin;2806950]Right. The things caught on tape, like a guy yelling "terrorist" at the top of his lungs or "off with his head" clearly indicated that there was no reason for concern on the part of the Secret Service. How foolish of them.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean? Those yelling those foul things should be arrested, but they're Republicans and white, so they get a free pass. As usual.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;2806956]What do you mean? Those yelling those foul things should be arrested, but they're Republicans and white, so they get a free pass. As usual.[/QUOTE]

Someone yelling "terrorist" should be arrested?

But because they're "white" they won't be?

Interesting.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    they may not have said it in Scraton Palin rally but they did say it in Albequerque (sp?) Mccain rally

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVFWahLTdUo[/url]

around 13 seconds in

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;2806956]What do you mean? Those yelling those foul things should be arrested, but they're Republicans and white, so they get a free pass. As usual.[/QUOTE]

I assume you're being sarcastic, although its hard to tell. No one should be arrested, or even questioned, for non-violent statements. That's Bush-style Democracy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2806967]Someone yelling "terrorist" should be arrested?

But because they're "white" they won't be?

Interesting.[/QUOTE]

No but shouting "off with his head" should at least get you questioned.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2807032]No but shouting "off with his head" should at least get you questioned.[/QUOTE]

Really? How about people who burn Bush in effigy?

Or should "kill Bush" at protests?

Or any other language spouted at protests for that matter?

Should they too each be questioned as well? Or only if it's Obama they're speaking of?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2807063]Really? How about people who burn Bush in effigy?

Or should "kill Bush" at protests?

Or any other language spouted at protests for that matter?

Should they too each be questioned as well? Or only if it's Obama they're speaking of?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. And they have.
    Not saying they deserve jail time. Just saying they need to be questioned.
    And this doesnt apply to "any language" im talking specifically about threats of violence. They must be taken seriously, just as they do in airports. Try saying the word gun or bomb near airport security and see what happens.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;2807081]Absolutely. And they have.
    Not saying they deserve jail time. Just saying they need to be questioned.
    And this doesnt apply to "any language" im talking specifically about threats of violence. They must be taken seriously, just as they do in airports. Try saying the word gun or bomb near airport security and see what happens.[/QUOTE]

I do not disagree per se, and as long as you're an equal opportunity "held for questioning" guy, I am fine with it.

Although it becomes questionable when the words used are say, "kill him" at a rally for the other guy. As we all know, the terminology of competition in america includes widespread use of "kill" as a metaphor for "defeat totally".

Of course, it IS hard to differentiate such use, but no one said being the Secret Service in a country with free speech would be easy, did they.

Don't get me wrong, but I think there is a sudden sense of sensativity on this topic from some Libs, who were perfectly happy to have theire fellow "dissenting" friends say all sorts of "kill him" type language as long as Bush was the Pres. Of course, these are often the same folks who see evil racist whiteys behind every thing, so eh.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am really, legitimately worried about Barack. There are some sick, sadistic, racist f-ers out there who may try to take a crack at it.

I really hope it doesnt happen. I hope the SS is on top of their game for his entire Presidency, with no holes. No matter what your politics, it would be one of the worst moments in our history.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;2807097]Although it becomes questionable when the words used are say, "kill him" at a rally for the other guy. As we all know, the terminology of competition in america includes widespread use of "kill" as a metaphor for "defeat totally".[/QUOTE]

fish it's funny you bring that up

i heard an interview with an Iranian author on NPR a couple weeks ago

and he explained that when crowds shout "Death to America" or "death to Israel" they aren't literally saying kill every American - that particular arabic word is more like "down with" rather than "murder"

I guess my point is it's funny how we can be understanding about nuances in language in some situations but not in others.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;2807139]I guess my point is it's funny how we can be understanding about nuances in language in some situations but not in others.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Guido Monzino;2807103]I really hope it doesnt happen. I hope the SS is on top of their game for his entire Presidency, with no holes.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...prolly not the best way to refer to the secret service.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like

Bring her in for questioning....

[QUOTE=kennyo7;2807032]No but shouting "off with his head" should at least get you questioned.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/alicepic/disney-movie/queen-of-hearts-7.jpg[/IMG]

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;2807316]Hmmm...prolly not the best way to refer to the secret service.[/QUOTE]

And vy not?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;2807324]And vy not?[/QUOTE]

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS[/url]