Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Interesting, frightening, telling conversation I heard

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, frightening, telling conversation I heard

At an ice cream store last night near ASU and there are a bunch of college students sitting around hanging out. I overhear them talking about the election, Obama, McCain, etc. They were all clearly for Obama and that wasn't a huge surprise. But what I heard next was a little surprising. They also felt Obama "had the election in the bag" and one girl said that "it was over". When some guy asked if she had gotten her absentee ballot to vote (because she's from out-of-state and can't vote in AZ) she said, "well....I was going to but it just didn't happen. Obama's gonna win this thing anyway so it's no biggie."

Now, this is one very random example but I get the feeling that if the race was much closer Obama would actually have a better chance because it would increase turnout. The more that people hear "it's over" and that Obama has this thing locked up I think that takes some energy and enthusiasm out of the actual election day turnout itself. The attitude of all these voters was basically that Obama has already won this election so he doesn't really need my vote.

I wonder if the youth vote turns out.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 10-16-2008 at 11:52 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't speak on the specifics but you are right that the turnout, on both sides, will be key to this election.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good post. I think many a college kid will think the same.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Turnout is definately an issue.

What is easily forgotten is that Kerry got a huge push from new, younger voters and had more people vote for him in the history of US presidential elections other than one other person: George W. Bush. Bush got new voters as well and a strong base following.

Can Obama match or exceed Kerry's total from 2004? Can McCain match Bush's?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is Obama's key challenge: getting his voters to the polls.

His campaign has made massive investments in ground game and turnout operations, and is trying a lot of unprecedented stuff like text messaging to reach people on election day. This is also a big reason they've been encouraging early voting where its legal.

A little prediction: The spin out of camp Obama in the days leading up to the election will be that the race is tightening, whether it is or not. We will here pundit references to "concerns" about random counties in key states, that sort of thing.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;2807190]This is Obama's key challenge: getting his voters to the polls.

His campaign has made massive investments in ground game and turnout operations, and is trying a lot of unprecedented stuff like text messaging to reach people on election day. This is also a big reason they've been encouraging early voting where its legal.

[B]A little prediction: The spin out of camp Obama in the days leading up to the election will be that the race is tightening, whether it is or not. We will here pundit references to "concerns" about random counties in key states, that sort of thing.[/B][/QUOTE]

Really going out on a limb there nuu :D

Obama has too big a lead too early, particularly for a black guy with a muslim name. I'd imagine his campaign is smart enough not to let complacency set in amongst his supporters..

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obama is already hitting on this, cautioning supporters, "don't get cocky"

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/16/campaign.wrap/index.html[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting thread JS23. You continue to be one of my favorite reads in this forum. However, this thread would benefit greatly from pics of the co-eds. :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are other factors as well. The converse could be true that McCain supporters don't feel the need to vote.

Also with the "forgone" conclusion that Obama is going to win big, a lot of people like to vote for the winner where as in a close race they may have voted the other way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    what really bothers me is the big state by state board cnn has showing what if electoral votes. last night when all of america is watching they basically showed obama already has enough electoral votes with 277 since he will lose virginia.

c'mon people there hasn't been a single vote cast yet & their declaring winners