Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 232

Thread: The not-really-official "How is your country doing in WC Qualifying?" thread

  1. #181
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,710
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Dude, que pasa?

    Plus, looks like 5th place South American team could be Argentina.
    lol, that's just the cherry on top, isn't it.

    i don't know what's wrong, it's the same team that breezed through early stages of qualifying and was comfortably in first with 12 points through 5 games.

    now we have the same 12 points, but after 8 games, and are on the outside looking in. some say it's overconfidence, that the players thought they were "in" already and stopped caring, some say that the coach has lost the team...


    i just think that we were never as good as our record, and the law of averages is just going against us at the moment. we're also caught in an awkward moment between football generations. we have the young talent, but the kids who play in Europe (and are doing pretty well there) can't translate their game successfully when they play with the national team. on the flip side, the veterans who were the core of the 2002 and 2006 WC teams are now on their last legs, and not good enough to carry the team anymore. i also think that the other teams did a better job of preparing for the second leg of qualifying than we did, especially in terms of scouting and game-planning. we stuck with the same idea from the first leg, and now they knew how to beat it.

  2. #182
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Congrats. England has the players to be a serious contender.

    I haven't seen any games, what has Capello brought to the table?

    To be honest we've always had the players they've just never pulled it off.

    As for Capello he seems to have just installed the confidence in the players and with the mentallity that we can beat anyone, got as playing as a team which is most important and the balance is spot on(Heskey isn't the best striker but he holds the ball up so well we play much better then we do without him) and has the respect of all(despite waht the players and the FA say everyone knew Mclaren was 3rd or 4th choice and the IMO had a negative effect on the players. He has also seemed to make us always attack, none of the taking the lead then trying to hold on like Sven used to do, got very animated whe Croatia scored even though we were 4-0 up at the time.

    As far as thw World cup goes, I beleive we have a chance depending on the draw we get. Still doubts about the keeper and the right side of midfield and defence although Lennon was fantastic yesterday. Quaters is the least I expect with this squad.

  3. #183
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Royals & Jets View Post
    To be honest we've always had the players they've just never pulled it off.

    As for Capello he seems to have just installed the confidence in the players and with the mentallity that we can beat anyone, got as playing as a team which is most important and the balance is spot on(Heskey isn't the best striker but he holds the ball up so well we play much better then we do without him) and has the respect of all(despite waht the players and the FA say everyone knew Mclaren was 3rd or 4th choice and the IMO had a negative effect on the players. He has also seemed to make us always attack, none of the taking the lead then trying to hold on like Sven used to do, got very animated whe Croatia scored even though we were 4-0 up at the time.

    As far as thw World cup goes, I beleive we have a chance depending on the draw we get. Still doubts about the keeper and the right side of midfield and defence although Lennon was fantastic yesterday. Quaters is the least I expect with this squad.
    England has been a bit like the Netherlands, though to a lesser degree. Great line ups, then underachieve in big competitions. For me, and I may be wrong, you can't play balls out in WC like they do in Premiership (unless you're Brazil). Defense has to be rock solid first, and Capello may bring that sort of attitude.
    You guys have an awesome backbone of players: Terry-Gerrard-Lampard-Beckham-Rooney.

    Goalkeeping has been a major problem since Seaman left.

  4. #184
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,710
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Royals & Jets View Post
    To be honest we've always had the players they've just never pulled it off.

    As for Capello he seems to have just installed the confidence in the players and with the mentallity that we can beat anyone, got as playing as a team which is most important and the balance is spot on(Heskey isn't the best striker but he holds the ball up so well we play much better then we do without him) and has the respect of all(despite waht the players and the FA say everyone knew Mclaren was 3rd or 4th choice and the IMO had a negative effect on the players. He has also seemed to make us always attack, none of the taking the lead then trying to hold on like Sven used to do, got very animated whe Croatia scored even though we were 4-0 up at the time.

    As far as thw World cup goes, I beleive we have a chance depending on the draw we get. Still doubts about the keeper and the right side of midfield and defence although Lennon was fantastic yesterday. Quaters is the least I expect with this squad.
    Capello is a fantastic coach, one of my favorites.

    it'd be nice to see England go far in the WC, the talent is definitely there.

    that England - Brazil match in 2002 is still one of the best WC games i've seen in recent history.

  5. #185
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Goalkeeping has been a major problem since Seaman left.
    You mean the guy that let in a floating ball hit from midfield (Nayim '95 UEFA cup final) and nearly midfield (Ronaldo '02 WC) over his head.

    Yeah they'll miss him.

    England hasn't had a decent keeper since Shilton.

  6. #186
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    You mean the guy that let in a floating ball hit from midfield (Nayim '95 UEFA cup final) and nearly midfield (Ronaldo '02 WC) over his head.

    Yeah they'll miss him.

    England hasn't had a decent keeper since Shilton.
    Those were bad plays for sure, but he was solid IMO.

  7. #187
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,545
    Post Thanks / Like
    I Bought a Jozy Altidore #17 jersey from ebay for about $40. I was really impressed with it

    Not really related to anything, but I'm excited to have a team USA jersey now.

  8. #188
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    See above
    Posts
    135
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I Bought a Jozy Altidore #17 jersey from ebay for about $40. I was really impressed with it

    Not really related to anything, but I'm excited to have a team USA jersey now.
    An 08-09 or an 09-10 ?

    Good price for this year's jersey N & L

  9. #189
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,545
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by *62 View Post
    An 08-09 or an 09-10 ?

    Good price for this year's jersey N & L
    Well it's a knock off, plus the road navy blue, so kind of hard to tell. I don't think the road jersey changed at all this year.

    It does have a WC 2010 patch, though.

  10. #190
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,710
    Post Thanks / Like
    so, Costa Rica fired HC Kenton after that last debacle in El Salvador...

    we now have to hope for at least 4 points over the next two games: at home vs. Trinidad, and on the road against the (hopefully already qualified and with nothing to play for) US.

    otherwise, it means going against the 5th in South America for a home-and-home playoff, which basically means kissing the World Cup goodbye. 2009 Costa Rica = 2008 NY Jets. the only problem is that we can't draft a Mexican to save our asses

  11. #191
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    so, Costa Rica fired HC Kenton after that last debacle in El Salvador...

    we now have to hope for at least 4 points over the next two games: at home vs. Trinidad, and on the road against the (hopefully already qualified and with nothing to play for) US.

    otherwise, it means going against the 5th in South America for a home-and-home playoff, which basically means kissing the World Cup goodbye. 2009 Costa Rica = 2008 NY Jets. the only problem is that we can't draft a Mexican to save our asses
    Smells like doot. Hope you guys make it in.

  12. #192
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,710
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Smells like doot. Hope you guys make it in.
    thanks, man.

    the key is to win at home vs. Trinidad, and hope the US beats Honduras on the road.

  13. #193
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    See above
    Posts
    135
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    ......the only problem is that we can't draft a Mexican to save our asses
    DOF !!

  14. #194
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sooo

    4 points out of 1st place with 3rd place team 4 points behind.

    2 games coming up: Feroe Islands at home, the Austria at home. A win against Feroe Islands on Saturday will clinch 2nd place.

    State of the Union:
    - Benzema recently said in an interview that he was so pissed he didn’t start against Romania that when he was subbed in at the end of the game “he didn’t feel like giving 100%”. This made headlines, but now everything is forgiven
    - Ribery is out for both games
    - Vieira is still not called. He’s not playing at Inter. Look for him to change teams this winter.

  15. #195
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    - Vieira is still not called. Hes not playing at Inter. Look for him to change teams this winter.
    We're very interested in him but he makes too much money. If he can accept something in the range of 2 mio per annum I think he may en up here.

    and dude what's wrong with Gomis?

  16. #196
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    We're very interested in him but he makes too much money. If he can accept something in the range of 2 mio per annum I think he may en up here.

    and dude what's wrong with Gomis?
    Same with us. We toyed with the idea this summer, but too expensive. My guess is he’ll play for Lyon or Arse.

    Very bizarre concerning Gomis. He’s fainted 3 or 4 times in the past months for no apparent reason.

  17. #197
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Same with us. We toyed with the idea this summer, but too expensive. My guess is hell play for Lyon or Arse.

    Very bizarre concerning Gomis. Hes fainted 3 or 4 times in the past months for no apparent reason.

    Pregnant?

  18. #198
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    5-0

    So we're officially 2nd heading to the knock out round. Guess the WC will start earlier for us.

    Turk, I saw you guys are out. I know you don't care, but weird seeing a semi finalist of the last Euro eliminated during qualifyers.

  19. #199
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,266
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    5-0

    So we're officially 2nd heading to the knock out round. Guess the WC will start earlier for us.

    Turk, I saw you guys are out. I know you don't care, but weird seeing a semi finalist of the last Euro eliminated during qualifyers.
    Wow...that is a disappointment. If the WC can be half as exciting as the Turks run at the last Euro, I'll be happy.

    US v Honduras tonight...US wins and we're in. No US TV feed though

    Congrats Frenchie...any idea who you face in the playoffs?

    Germany and Italy are in.

    Good Luck Dirtstar...hope it works out today.

  20. #200
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,545
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the US fans still looking for a live feed

    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/honducarlos

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us