Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: The not-really-official "How is your country doing in WC Qualifying?" thread

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Wow...that is a disappointment. If the WC can be half as exciting as the Turks run at the last Euro, I'll be happy.

US v Honduras tonight...US wins and we're in. No US TV feed though

Congrats Frenchie...any idea who you face in the playoffs?

Germany and Italy are in.

Good Luck Dirtstar...hope it works out today.
    Hat 1
    Russia *
    Greece
    France *
    Portgal

Hat 2:
    Ireland *
    Bosnia *
    Ukraine
    Slovenia

* Are sure to get into knockout round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wasn't pretty... but the US is going to the World Cup!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    5-0

So we're officially 2nd heading to the knock out round. Guess the WC will start earlier for us.

Turk, I saw you guys are out. I know you don't care, but weird seeing a semi finalist of the last Euro eliminated during qualifyers.
    That's just how we rolll...

We didn't qualify for Euro 04 right after we finished in third place at 02 WC.

I knew we weren't going to qualify from day 1, I just thought it would be Belgium finishing second instead of bosnia.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a doosh

I love how he acts all outraged

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zPwhkfRMcA

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    one more win for portugal and then a playoff, it should of never got this far, portugal should of ran away with this group.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow...that is a disappointment. If the WC can be half as exciting as the Turks run at the last Euro, I'll be happy.

US v Honduras tonight...US wins and we're in. No US TV feed though

Congrats Frenchie...any idea who you face in the playoffs?

Germany and Italy are in.

Good Luck Dirtstar...hope it works out today.
    thanks dude, it worked out as well as it could

big win by the US in Honduras, and Costa Rica took care of things at home 4-0 vs. Trinidad.

the key was the US being qualified going into Wednesday's game in Washington. i know that the US won't just lay down, but they won't be under pressure and, more likely than not, will be using mostly backups.

if CR wins, we're automatically in. if not, we gotta hope that Honduras doesn't pull off the win on the road at El Salvador.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jr420x View Post
    one more win for portugal and then a playoff, it should of never got this far, portugal should of ran away with this group.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Win and In" scenario for Costa Rica tonight, playing the US in Washington.

considering the last time we won in US soil was 20+ years ago, "Win and In" is unlikely

my hopes reside with El Salvador playing Honduras tough. if Honduras doesn't win, Costa Rica is in. if Honduras gets the W, then we're forced to pull off the upset tonight.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jr420x View Post
    "Should HAVE", for Pete's sake. It's not that hard.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Dirtstar.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodyPaige View Post
    Sorry Dirtstar.
    thanks dude.

i'm still in shock, kinda numb all over, not really believing what just happened...

up next: Uruguay. it's ****ing over

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    thanks dude.

i'm still in shock, kinda numb all over, not really believing what just happened...

Uruguay's tough but at least you don't have to play Argentina.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks dude.

I'm right with you. We can do this, man.

I'll hold your hand if you hold mine (no homo).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks dude.

Geez...your guys defended the corner so well up to that point. I don't know if the late theatrics by the sidelines contributed to the extra 5 minutes, but the extra time was killer. NO WAY I thought the US was coming back to tie that one.

Go crazy vs Uruguay...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geez...your guys defended the corner so well up to that point. I don't know if the late theatrics by the sidelines contributed to the extra 5 minutes, but the extra time was killer. NO WAY I thought the US was coming back to tie that one.

Go crazy vs Uruguay...
    i'm gonna be honest here -- the US deserved AT LEAST a tie. we had maybe 4-5 chances all game, and scored 2 goals. the US was on our azzes the rest of the night and missed a bunch of easy scores, especially in the first half.

that being said -- the 9 minutes of extra time (4 in 1st half, 5 in the 2nd) was total and utter bull****. the game was fluid all night long, very few breaks in the action, nothing to justify that much extra time. and 2 CR coaches getting thrown out because the 4th ref ****ed up the substitution?? THAT was ridiculous as well...

but like i said, the end result was more than fair. it's just the fact that it happened in the last freaking play of the game, in the 99th minute...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I'm right with you. We can do this, man.

I'll hold your hand if you hold mine (no homo).
    yes. let's do it.

or maybe this is more appropriate:

Raoul and Dirtstar

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm gonna be honest here -- the US deserved AT LEAST a tie. we had maybe 4-5 chances all game, and scored 2 goals. the US was on our azzes the rest of the night and missed a bunch of easy scores, especially in the first half.

that being said -- the 9 minutes of extra time (4 in 1st half, 5 in the 2nd) was total and utter bull****. the game was fluid all night long, very few breaks in the action, nothing to justify that much extra time. and 2 CR coaches getting thrown out because the 4th ref ****ed up the substitution?? THAT was ridiculous as well...

but like i said, the end result was more than fair. it's just the fact that it happened in the last freaking play of the game, in the 99th minute...
    Come on...

The first half had the CRC goalie dive (where a non-existent foul was called against US, not that it mattered) for a few minutes, plus the CRC "injury" that the stretcher was brought out DURING injury time that lasted over 2 minutes alone.

The 2nd half had time wasting, the Onweyu injury, and the coach trying to waste as much time as possible.

Crazy game though...

PS I heard about this during the morning... made me laugh

ESPN On winning the CONCACAF during an interview with Jozy Altidore

ESPN: Is it safe to say the US has arrived as a world power?
    JOZY: <giggles then pauses> In soccer?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Raoul and Dirtstar

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post

LOL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Come on...

The first half had the CRC goalie dive (where a non-existent foul was called against US, not that it mattered) for a few minutes, plus the CRC "injury" that the stretcher was brought out DURING injury time that lasted over 2 minutes alone.

The 2nd half had time wasting, the Onweyu injury, and the coach trying to waste as much time as possible.

Crazy game though...

Batman, those types of plays happen in EVERY SINGLE GAME.

it's part of the sport. yeah, the stretcher came out during extra time and the end of the first half... guess what? the original 2 minutes were almost done by that point. how many times have you seen that the refs "recover" the lost injury time during the FIRST HALF??

and the second half, the Onyewu injury was the only important stop in action, and he was out of there pretty quickly. there had only been 1 goal at that point, and the rest of the game had been pretty routine. 5 minutes? sorry, but that was excessive.

look, i'm not blaming the refs for this. CR ****ed up the coverage on that last corner kick, and besides, we didn't lose the WC ticket in this game, we lost it in the first 3 games in the second stage when we lost all 3 by a combined score of 8-0.

like i said in my other post, the US more than deserved the tie and actually should've won. but 9 minutes of extra time is almost unheard of in a game that, for the most part, played out like a very normal game. this isn't like the Gold Cup when Aguirre kicked one of Panama's players, or when the crowd goes nuts and starts throwing **** on the field. 9 minutes was way too much, imho.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

99th minute? Wow, that hurts.

During the 94 qualifyers, we needed a tie in just one of our last 2 games to get in: Isreal and Bulgaria. Both at home.

Israel comes and wins 3-2 on a late score.

Game tied 1-1 against Bulgaria, 90th minute, we have a foul blown for us almost at the corner stick. Ginola, who was having a bad time with fans and the coach takes the ball. He had just subbed in, and wanted to make an impact play. So, instead of just tapping it to the guy next to him, pass the ball around, and wait for time to expire, he centers it to the penalty box where Cantona was alone with 3 guys around him.

Defense gets the ball, 1-2 passes and Kostadinov rifles one under the bar, game over. If you look at the clock, it's 89:59 when he scores. Bulgaria went on to have a great WC, so they deserved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMbCxl4hnzA