Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 232

Thread: The not-really-official "How is your country doing in WC Qualifying?" thread

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Wanchope is GOOD and actually played in Argentina for Rosario Central back in 2006; but couldn't cut it & didn't even last half the summer tournament.
    yeah, by the time he made it to Rosario, his knees were completely shot and he couldn't play at a high level anymore. he still showed some flashes and scored some nice goals, but he couldn't keep pace from game to game.


    he retired last year, Costa Rica misses him dearly

  2. #62
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Besides, most of the talk in the past has consisted of PaulieC yappin' about Italy (which is a WAY overrated team w/Argentines on the squad)
    The more things change, the more they stay the same...

    Oh and Boca sucks! My standing view on the matter is yellow and blue should never come together on a football shirt. Never!

    Greenwinthin,

    this is the first time I can recall that we've played someone back to back. The press is reporting that you'll rest a lot of first team regulars. We'll see how that plays out.

    I remember playing Costa Rica in the 2002 WC. We drew them 1-1 actually. They had 2-3 pretty good players back them.

    I remember Wanchope, I was actually a fan of his when he was playing for Derby and City.

  3. #63
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    The SAD part is that talent has NEVER been an issue. We've had to turn down players that would easily play on other intl' sqauds (Crespo, Aimar, Lucho, Riquelme, Camoranesi, Bilos, Cambiasso, Solari, Milito, etc.)

    I was VERY against the Maradona hiring, but he is trying something different and it seems to work. There just are not enough defenders to stop Carlitos, Messi, and Kun.

    Mascherrano is the Paul O'Neil of the squad: Heart and RAGE!

    Then you have Gago, Maxi, and FINALLY some size with Jonas Gutierrez.

    I also think it's good that he's mixed in some veteran leadership (even though I'm not a fan of El Brujito) by bringing back Zanetti and Veron.


    I'm tired of us always playing well and then coming up short with a game or two of the title, whether it be world or continental. But if they gear up like this for '10, MAYBE......JUST MAYBE
    Awesome player. I have a thing (no homo) for defensive midfielders. You never know what you have until you don't have a good one.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    The more things change, the more they stay the same...

    Oh and Boca sucks! My standing view on the matter is yellow and blue should never come together on a football shirt. Never!

    Greenwinthin,

    this is the first time I can recall that we've played someone back to back. The press is reporting that you'll rest a lot of first team regulars. We'll see how that plays out.

    I remember playing Costa Rica in the 2002 WC. We drew them 1-1 actually. They had 2-3 pretty good players back them.

    I remember Wanchope, I was actually a fan of his when he was playing for Derby and City.
    We're playing Lithuania back to back as well. I'm guessing with group stages it happens.

  4. #64
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Awesome player. I have a thing (no homo) for defensive midfielders. You never know what you have until you don't have a good one.
    .
    +1 again, you're on roll today frenchie

    We have a good young kid at DMC - BTW anyone here a Football Manager fan? - Mehmet Topal the Blue****e Everton was reportedly interested in him last summer but we turneddown an offer of 8 mio . We'll see who he goes to. He is similar to Patrick Viera with very long legs and a good sense of positioning.

  5. #65
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    245-A
    Posts
    3,143
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    The more things change, the more they stay the same...
    Oh and Boca sucks! My standing view on the matter is yellow and blue should never come together on a football shirt. Never!
    If you think Boca sucks, then I challenge your futbol competence. They were the 2007 Runner's up to the World Club Cup Finals (formerly the FIFA Intercontinental Cup) in Tokyo and have the most wins of the World Teams Tournament other than Milan and Real Madrid. Here's some knowledge for ya:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Club_World_Cup
    &
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interco...Cup_statistics)

    Funny......I don't see any teams from Turkey EVEN QUALIFYING!!!!

    As for your fashion sense on jerseys, I'll side with the NATION of SWEDEN and the fan base of Boca. We care about championships and trophies, not color combinations; if you ever win an International tournament, you'd understand........ maybe one day
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 03-31-2009 at 04:13 PM.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I remember playing Costa Rica in the 2002 WC. We drew them 1-1 actually. They had 2-3 pretty good players back them.

    I remember Wanchope, I was actually a fan of his when he was playing for Derby and City.
    that was a GREAT game!! Costa Rica had a chance to win it late, and we would've made it to the 2nd round


    of course, we probably would've lost, instead of making the Semis like you did


    and yeah, that was by far the most talented generation we've had in recent history, probably all-time.

  7. #67
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    If you think Boca sucks, then I challenge your futbol competence. They were the 2007 Runner's up to the World Club Cup Finals (formerly the FIFA Intercontinental Cup) in Tokyo and have the most wins of the World Teams Tournament other than Milan and Real Madrid. Here's some knowledge for ya:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Club_World_Cup
    &
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interco...Cup_statistics)

    Funny......I don't see any teams from Turkey EVEN QUALIFYING!!!!

    As for your fashion sense on jerseys, I'll side with the NATION of SWEDEN and the fan base of Boca. We care about championships and trophies, not color combinations; if you ever win an International tournament, you'd understand........ maybe one day
    ZING !


  8. #68
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    If you think Boca sucks, then I challenge your futbol competence. They were the 2007 Runner's up to the World Club Cup Finals (formerly the FIFA Intercontinental Cup) in Tokyo and have the most wins of the World Teams Tournament other than Milan and Real Madrid. Here's some knowledge for ya:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Club_World_Cup
    &
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interco...Cup_statistics)

    Funny......I don't see any teams from Turkey EVEN QUALIFYING!!!!

    As for your fashion sense on jerseys, I'll side with the NATION of SWEDEN and the fan base of Boca. We care about championships and trophies, not color combinations; if you ever win an International tournament, you'd understand........ maybe one day


    River > Boca

    Any team > any other team who wears yellow and blue.

    And I'm also wondering though how hard could it be to make it to a cup final by beating Danubio, Colo Colo and the like.

    We were the first team to win the UEFA cup undefeated back in 2000, by beating Hertha Berlin, Milan, Bologna, Borusia Dortmund, Mallorca, Leeds and then Arsenal in the final - and NOT the one from Ecuador - , then we won the European Super Cup - which at the time was the only cup Real Madrid hadn't won - by beating Real Madrid. So yeah you guys maybe good by South American club futbol standarts but don't get carried away you probably wouldn't make it past the group stages of the Champions League.

    One more thing **** every other team from Turkey, they suck worse than Boca does.
    Last edited by The Turk; 04-01-2009 at 02:24 AM.

  9. #69
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    that was a GREAT game!! Costa Rica had a chance to win it late, and we would've made it to the 2nd round


    of course, we probably would've lost, instead of making the Semis like you did


    and yeah, that was by far the most talented generation we've had in recent history, probably all-time.
    I remember you guys played better than us but we were very lucky in that tournament except for the couple of losses to Brasil. We almost pulled off a shocker against them, were up 1-0 at halhtime, than Ronaldo scores and the Korean referee pulled a penalty out of his ass and we lost. But it was a fun tournament for us, we both hosts in that tourney first Japan in the second round than Korea in the 3rd place game.

    Now that I think about it when we make it to the finals of an international tourney we usually provide good entertainment. Not always good futbol but always good drama

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I remember you guys played better than us but we were very lucky in that tournament except for the couple of losses to Brasil. We almost pulled off a shocker against them, were up 1-0 at halhtime, than Ronaldo scores and the Korean referee pulled a penalty out of his ass and we lost. But it was a fun tournament for us, we both hosts in that tourney first Japan in the second round than Korea in the 3rd place game.

    Now that I think about it when we make it to the finals of an international tourney we usually provide good entertainment. Not always good futbol but always good drama
    other than the fact that you beat us for 2nd place in the group, i was a big fan of that Turkey team.

    loved the toughness and physicality with which they played, even though there were also some moments of serious drama

    Rustu Recber was AMAZING the whole tournament... is he still the keeper?

  11. #71
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    245-A
    Posts
    3,143
    Watching Bolivia v. Argentina as I type this LIVE from La Paz!!!

    Maradon came with a different formation: 2-4-4

    Tevez y Messi up front w/no Kun
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 04-01-2009 at 04:02 PM.

  12. #72
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    245-A
    Posts
    3,143
    Bolivia has had like 4 SOLID SHOTs on GOAL!!!

    We're LOSING 1-0!!!!

    Arg down 3-1 @ the Half . I have to say, it is simply disPICable how they haven't showed up thus far to this game. Bolivia is playing fast and at the pace of what you could consider a LeBron James fast break in the NBA. Carrizo is have the GAME OF HIS LIFE with the number and force of the shots he's blocked. He should've secured the ball better on that rebound that turned into the PK for the second goal. The defense is non-existent. HIGHLY disappointing 1st half. This is where Maradona's mettle will be tested, can he rally this highly talented group (currently underachieving in this game) to overcome a deficit in unfavorable conditions against an inferior team for KEY WC points? The stage is set......
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 04-01-2009 at 04:25 PM.

  13. #73
    USA dominated Trinidad and Tobago in Nashville tonight. 3-0. Jozy Altidore had all 3 goals. Great to see after that doot-fest on Saturday. So we're still on top of the CONCACAF standings regardless of the later games.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Bolivia has had like 4 SOLID SHOTs on GOAL!!!

    We're LOSING 1-0!!!!

    Arg down 3-1 @ the Half . I have to say, it is simply disPICable how they haven't showed up thus far to this game. Bolivia is playing fast and at the pace of what you could consider a LeBron James fast break in the NBA. Carrizo is have the GAME OF HIS LIFE with the number and force of the shots he's blocked. He should've secured the ball better on that rebound that turned into the PK for the second goal. The defense is non-existent. HIGHLY disappointing 1st half. This is where Maradona's mettle will be tested, can he rally this highly talented group (currently underachieving in this game) to overcome a deficit in unfavorable conditions against an inferior team for KEY WC points? The stage is set......
    ......6 - 1.

    My country is one point from qualifying (yawn).

  15. #75
    Italy settled for a 1-1 draw against the lousy Irish.

  16. #76
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    other than the fact that you beat us for 2nd place in the group, i was a big fan of that Turkey team.

    loved the toughness and physicality with which they played, even though there were also some moments of serious drama

    Rustu Recber was AMAZING the whole tournament... is he still the keeper?
    He went to Barcelona on the strength of his play in that tournament.

    Now he's about 36 so he's the backup, but because our first choice keeper Volkan is a certified idiot who gets sent off frequently he still gets his share of playing time.

    We lost 2-1 to Spain mostly because of the aforementioned certified idiot, so now there is a real chance that Bosnia will be qualifying as the second place team. Spain has 6 wins out of 6 in the group so they are as good as in, they're also undefeated in 31 straight matches now they've really become an amezing team. We have to beat Bosnia in Bosnia and Belgium in Belgium and hope Bosnia drops another point along the way somewhere.

    BD, you're being too hard on your boys. They were pretty good in the last World Cup, if it wasn't for an idiot referee you should've beaten the Italians. At least we'll get to watch Harry Kewell if you guys get in.

  17. #77
    Just got back from Teh Stadium... and it was rockin'!!!

    then the game started and we played like **** the entire first half, and Teh Stadium was more like

    the second half started, and we were still playing like a bunch of gheys

    but we finally scored, and Teh Stadium was rockin' again!


    Final score: Costa Rica 1 - El Salvador 0. not a convincing/comforting win by any means, but a win nontheless. with Mexico pfailin in Honduras, CR is now 2nd to the US in Concacaf standings.

  18. #78
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Bolivia has had like 4 SOLID SHOTs on GOAL!!!

    We're LOSING 1-0!!!!

    Arg down 3-1 @ the Half . I have to say, it is simply disPICable how they haven't showed up thus far to this game. Bolivia is playing fast and at the pace of what you could consider a LeBron James fast break in the NBA. Carrizo is have the GAME OF HIS LIFE with the number and force of the shots he's blocked. He should've secured the ball better on that rebound that turned into the PK for the second goal. The defense is non-existent. HIGHLY disappointing 1st half. This is where Maradona's mettle will be tested, can he rally this highly talented group (currently underachieving in this game) to overcome a deficit in unfavorable conditions against an inferior team for KEY WC points? The stage is set......
    6-1!!! Geez, didn't see that coming..

    Don't underestimate the altitude factor. Playing in La Paz is a huge advantage for the Bolivians. BTW, I thought FIFA had come up with a rule saying int'l games couldn't be played above a certain altitude, clearly taking a shot at Peru and Bolivia (thus protecting Brazil and Argentina)??

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    ......6 - 1.

    My country is one point from qualifying (yawn).
    We know you're just saying that and you'll get all pumped up during the WC.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    Just got back from Teh Stadium... and it was rockin'!!!

    then the game started and we played like **** the entire first half, and Teh Stadium was more like

    the second half started, and we were still playing like a bunch of gheys

    but we finally scored, and Teh Stadium was rockin' again!
    LOL
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 04-02-2009 at 03:19 AM.

  19. #79
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,855
    We won for the second time in a few days 1-0 against Lithuania (Ribery again).

    On paper, uninspiring victories, but well needed 6 points. They’re getting a bit ripped in the press but I found them really aggressive last night, hussling all night like I’ve rarely seen them. We’re a young team that needs these types of games.

  20. #80
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,855
    In Germany's game, Podolski got pissed at Ballack who was tyring to replace him, and ***** slapped his captain.

    Not good for Germany or or gay soccer reputation

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NjHS1gDXFc

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us