Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The not-really-official "How is your country doing in WC Qualifying?" thread

Jets Insider VIP
    Here are the group standings (Europe) as of today

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/prelimi...ngs/index.html

Group 1 Team MP W D L GF GA Pts
    Denmark 5 4 1 0 12 2 13
    Hungary 6 4 1 1 8 2 13
    Portugal 5 1 3 1 6 3 6
    Sweden 4 1 3 0 2 1 6
    Albania 7 1 3 3 3 6 6
    Malta 7 0 1 6 0 17 1

Group 2 Team MP W D L GF GA Pts
    Greece 6 4 1 1 12 4 13
    Switzerland 6 4 1 1 11 6 13
    Latvia 6 3 1 2 10 6 10
    Israel 6 2 3 1 10 8 9
    Luxembourg 6 1 1 4 3 13 4
    Moldova 6 0 1 5 2 11 1

Group 3 Team MP W D L GF GA Pts
    Northern Ireland 7 4 1 2 12 6 13
    Slovakia 5 4 0 1 10 6 12
    Poland 6 3 1 2 18 7 10
    Czech Republic 6 2 2 2 6 4 8
    Slovenia 6 2 2 2 5 4 8
    San Marino 6 0 0 6 1 25 0

Group 4 Team MP W D L GF GA Pts
    Germany 6 5 1 0 18 4 16
    Russia 5 4 0 1 9 3 12
    Finland 4 2 1 1 6 6 7
    Wales 6 2 0 4 4 7 6
    Azerbaijan 4 0 1 3 0 4 1
    Liechtenstein 5 0 1 4 0 13 1

Group 5 Team MP W D L GF GA Pts
    Spain 6 6 0 0 13 2 18
    Bosnia-Herzegovina 6 4 0 2 18 7 12
    Turkey 6 2 2 2 6 5 8
    Belgium 6 2 1 3 10 11 7
    Estonia 6 1 2 3 5 15 5
    Armenia 6 0 1 5 3 15 1

Group 6 Team MP W D L GF GA Pts
    England 5 5 0 0 16 4 15
    Croatia 5 3 1 1 10 4 10
    Ukraine 4 2 1 1 5 3 7
    Belarus 4 2 0 2 9 6 6
    Kazakhstan 5 1 0 4 6 16 3
    Andorra 5 0 0 5 1 14 0

DetailsAnalysisQuotesMatches

Group 7 Team MP W D L GF GA Pts
    Serbia 5 4 0 1 12 5 12
    France 5 3 1 1 7 6 10
    Lithuania 6 3 0 3 6 5 9
    Austria 5 2 1 2 7 8 7
    Romania 5 1 1 3 6 10 4
    Faroe Islands 4 0 1 3 1 5 1

Group 8 Team MP W D L GF GA Pts
    Italy 6 4 2 0 9 3 14
    Republic of Ireland 6 3 3 0 7 4 12
    Bulgaria 5 1 4 0 5 3 7
    Cyprus 5 1 1 3 4 7 4
    Montenegro 5 0 3 2 3 6 3
    Georgia 7 0 3 4 4 9 3

Group 9 Team MP W D L GF GA Pts
    Netherlands 5 5 0 0 12 1 15
    Scotland 5 2 1 2 4 6 7
    Iceland 5 1 1 3 5 8 4
    FYR Macedonia 4 1 0 3 2 7 3
    Norway 3 0 2 1 2 3 2

Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    He went to Barcelona on the strength of his play in that tournament.

Now he's about 36 so he's the backup, but because our first choice keeper Volkan is a certified idiot who gets sent off frequently he still gets his share of playing time.

We lost 2-1 to Spain mostly because of the aforementioned certified idiot, so now there is a real chance that Bosnia will be qualifying as the second place team. Spain has 6 wins out of 6 in the group so they are as good as in, they're also undefeated in 31 straight matches now they've really become an amezing team. We have to beat Bosnia in Bosnia and Belgium in Belgium and hope Bosnia drops another point along the way somewhere.

BD, you're being too hard on your boys. They were pretty good in the last World Cup, if it wasn't for an idiot referee you should've beaten the Italians. At least we'll get to watch Harry Kewell if you guys get in.

Football just doesn't have the same reach over here as for most of the rest of the world - it's sort of like how it is in the USA.

It is extraordinairy however how we have produced some genuine talent from a small pool of actual players that the talent could spring from. If you get my drift.

I tell you, however, if football ever takes off in aboriginal communities in our country, look out world - they are AMAZING at virtually any ball sport they touch, and do the impossible regularly in other ball sports in this country. In many ways they are the barometer of whether a sport has 'made it' in Australia. If football reaches that deep into the nation then I will be behind any game our country plays, World Cup or not.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    Football just doesn't have the same reach over here as for most of the rest of the world - it's sort of like how it is in the USA.

It is extraordinairy however how we have produced some genuine talent from a small pool of actual players that the talent could spring from. If you get my drift.

I tell you, however, if football ever takes off in aboriginal communities in our country, look out world - they are AMAZING at virtually any ball sport they touch, and do the impossible regularly in other ball sports in this country. In many ways they are the barometer of whether a sport has 'made it' in Australia. If football reaches that deep into the nation then I will be behind any game our country plays, World Cup or not.
    I understand that but isn't it like the chicken and egg...The more succesful your team is the more kids try to be like them. I fully expect to see the US and Australia become powerhouses in the not too distant future. You both have just too much resources - both manpower and financial - not to succed in futbol. I think it's only a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    In Germany's game, Podolski got pissed at Ballack who was tyring to replace him, and ***** slapped his captain.

Not good for Germany or or gay soccer reputation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NjHS1gDXFc
    lol wtf was that? I thought the Germans were stern and efficient, not ghey and slap-happy.

6-1!!! Geez, didn't see that coming..

Don't underestimate the altitude factor. Playing in La Paz is a huge advantage for the Bolivians. BTW, I thought FIFA had come up with a rule saying int'l games couldn't be played above a certain altitude, clearly taking a shot at Peru and Bolivia (thus protecting Brazil and Argentina)??
    funny thing is, when FIFA announced the move, Maradona was one of its most vocal critics, saying that it was up to the other teams to prepare for altitude conditions and cited recent wins by Argentina in La Paz during the last WC Qualifying process. the move was revoked soon after that.

that was when Peckerman was the coach, and for the game in La Paz he used a completely different team that had been traning at high altitudes for that very purpose. Gas can correct me if i'm wrong, but Maradona took his team to Bolivia just a few hours before kickoff.

that being said, playing in La Paz is always extremely tough, and losing there is justifiable, almost expected. but 6-1 is ridiculous. never saw a beatdown like this coming, but i guess this means the Maradona honeymoon period is just about over.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    that being said, playing in La Paz is always extremely tough, and losing there is justifiable, almost expected. but 6-1 is ridiculous. never saw a beatdown like this coming, but i guess this means the Maradona honeymoon period is just about over.
    Agreed.

I visited La Paz, and obviously i'm no professional athelete, but the altitude was brutal. I'd lose my breath going up a flight of stairs. So if teams don't have time to adapt to the altitude, it's hopeless.

That being said 6-1 is shameful.

Dirt do you know when we play you guys? That game should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyPaige View Post
    first game is June 3rd, in Costa Rica.

i already got my tickets

and i guarantee Teh Saprissa Stadium WILL BE ROCKIN'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDeNw...eature=related

seriously though, should be a good game. US is currently a notch (or two) above everyone else in the group, but they really struggled on the road the vs El Salvador. Saprissa Stadium is usually a tough venue for the Americans, should make for a very intense game.

definitely looking forward to it.
    Last edited by Dirtstar; 04-02-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Italy settled for a 1-1 draw against the lousy Irish.
    There's nothing lousy about the Irish!!

England 2 - 1 Ukraine

Wasn't the greatest of games or performances but we got the win which is all that matters really. We were the better team but credit to the Ukraine they had a plan stuck to it and almost got a point.

Veteran
    Nice Harry Kewell interview for you BD at fifa's site.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/ne...new+lease+life

I esspecially loved this part

Away from football, are you enjoying the different cultural aspects of life in Turkey?
    Turkey is a very interesting place. If you had asked me two years ago would I be living in Istanbul, I would have said no. But I have to say it has grown on me. I think Istanbul is a fantastic city, probably one of the best cities I have been to and I'm not just saying that because I live there now. But the culture, the people... They are very respectful and have a way with the older people that you just don't see anymore. They have all the food, the nightlife, the clothes, everything that you would want - even the weather.

If anyone wants to say their fans are better (than Galatasaray's), I would bet money that they are not,

How are you enjoying Galatasaray's famously passionate supporters?
    The level of passion is like nothing I have ever experienced before. The support that we get is fantastic. I don't think any club can come close to what we can produce. If anyone wants to say their fans are better, I would bet money that they are not!
    Tell us about the extra level of expectation on the players playing with a club of Galatasaray's statue?
    If the team wins the league, people will say you are supposed to win the league. There is no coming second. There is just one place for Galatasaray and that is the number one position. If you don't get that, there is going to be a backlash.

Jets Insider VIP
    Nice Harry Kewell interview for you BD at fifa's site.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/ne...new+lease+life

I esspecially loved this part

Away from football, are you enjoying the different cultural aspects of life in Turkey?
    Turkey is a very interesting place. If you had asked me two years ago would I be living in Istanbul, I would have said no. But I have to say it has grown on me. I think Istanbul is a fantastic city, probably one of the best cities I have been to and I'm not just saying that because I live there now. But the culture, the people... They are very respectful and have a way with the older people that you just don't see anymore. They have all the food, the nightlife, the clothes, everything that you would want - even the weather.

If anyone wants to say their fans are better (than Galatasaray's), I would bet money that they are not,

How are you enjoying Galatasaray's famously passionate supporters?
    The level of passion is like nothing I have ever experienced before. The support that we get is fantastic. I don't think any club can come close to what we can produce. If anyone wants to say their fans are better, I would bet money that they are not!
    Tell us about the extra level of expectation on the players playing with a club of Galatasaray's statue?
    If the team wins the league, people will say you are supposed to win the league. There is no coming second. There is just one place for Galatasaray and that is the number one position. If you don't get that, there is going to be a backlash.
    Translation

"I love this place because if I said otherwise, my tires would get slashed".

Veteran
    Translation

"I love this place because if I said otherwise, my tires would get slashed".

and your problem with that is what exactly?

actually our sewerbird biased idiot press translates this story like this:

Kewell: The pressure from the fans are too intense. I can't stand it!

the sewerbird lovin **** eating *******s.

Jets Insider VIP
    and your problem with that is what exactly?

actually our sewerbird biased idiot press translates this story like this:

Kewell: The pressure from the fans are too intense. I can't stand it!

the sewerbird lovin **** eating *******s.
    Last year when we were teh suck, a few Porsches and Ferraris were trashed by fans at the training fields...

Veteran
    Last year when we were teh suck, a few Porsches and Ferraris were trashed by fans at the training fields...
    boo ****ing hooo

sometimes you gotta put these overpaid primadonnas in their place.

This photo was taken outisde AS Roma's training grounds. the one on the left is Panucci who had said he wasnted out of town and blah blah. Then there were no takers and he had to stay at Roma. The guy he's trying to shake hands with is William Betti, a leader of the Roma Ultras.

Who looks like he's about the **** his pants. The "fan" or the "millionaire"

Jets Insider VIP
    boo ****ing hooo

sometimes you gotta put these overpaid primadonnas in their place.

This photo was taken outisde AS Roma's training grounds. the one on the left is Panucci who had said he wasnted out of town and blah blah. Then there were no takers and he had to stay at Roma. The guy he's trying to shake hands with is William Betti, a leader of the Roma Ultras.

Who looks like he's about the **** his pants. The "fan" or the "millionaire"

LOL. I'd hate to be in his shoes. Not only because he looks gay, but doesn't seem like a comfortable situation...

I hate Panucci almost as much as Inzaghi. He's a ****ing c*nt.

LOL. I'd hate to be in his shoes. Not only because he looks gay, but doesn't seem like a comfortable situation...

I hate Panucci almost as much as Inzaghi. He's a ****ing c*nt.
    Plus, his shoes look pretty gay. He looks like he's about to **** his ladies' jeans.

Here are the group standings (Europe) as of today

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/prelimi...ngs/index.html

Group 1 Team MP W D L GF GA Pts
    Denmark 5 4 1 0 12 2 13
    Hungary 6 4 1 1 8 2 13
    Portugal 5 1 3 1 6 3 6
    Sweden 4 1 3 0 2 1 6
    Albania 7 1 3 3 3 6 6
    Malta 7 0 1 6 0 17 1
    Yeeeaaah! Denmark absolutely stole 3 points in Lissabon and I'm loving it

Portugal 2 - 3 Denmark
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35z3BH5dH7c

Jets Insider VIP
    Friendly match

France 0 - 1 Nigeria

The season just needs to end. I don't understand the need for these friendlies. the guys are just waiting to go on vacation.

Things not looking good for the match up against Turkey on Friday

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyPaige View Post
    BRING IT *****!!!!

SAPRISSA STADIUM WILL BE ROCKIN'!!!!!