Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The not-really-official "How is your country doing in WC Qualifying?" thread

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    99th minute? Wow, that hurts.

During the 94 qualifyers, we needed a tie in just one of our last 2 games to get in: Isreal and Bulgaria. Both at home.

Israel comes and wins 3-2 on a late score.

Game tied 1-1 against Bulgaria, 90th minute, we have a foul blown for us almost at the corner stick. Ginola, who was having a bad time with fans and the coach takes the ball. He had just subbed in, and wanted to make an impact play. So, instead of just tapping it to the guy next to him, pass the ball around, and wait for time to expire, he centers it to the penalty box where Cantona was alone with 3 guys around him.

Defense gets the ball, 1-2 passes and Kostadinov rifles one under the bar, game over. If you look at the clock, it's 89:59 when he scores. Bulgaria went on to have a great WC, so they deserved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMbCxl4hnzA
    This is kind of an aside... but isn't it kind of crazy that Israel plays in Europe and not in Asia with the rest of the Middle East teams?

Israel kind of seems like one of the teams that would be a consistant WC team if they played Asia.

Qualifying year
    2010 - 4th place, 1 point out of 3rd (4 points out of playoff)
    2006 - Tied for 2nd, lost out on playoff opp by goal differential
    2002 - 3rd place, (3 points out of Playoff)
    1998 - 3rd place, (4 points out of playoff)

I assume it's political/fan safety that keeps them out of Asia.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I assume it's political/fan safety that keeps them out of Asia.
    It is. But they're not alone. Neither Kazakhstan nor Cyprus have any territory in Europe but they play in the UEFA.

I remember those two matches Raoul. Didn't you guys have a similar breakdown against Israel again in the 96 qual.?

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    99th minute? Wow, that hurts.

During the 94 qualifyers, we needed a tie in just one of our last 2 games to get in: Isreal and Bulgaria. Both at home.

Israel comes and wins 3-2 on a late score.

Game tied 1-1 against Bulgaria, 90th minute, we have a foul blown for us almost at the corner stick. Ginola, who was having a bad time with fans and the coach takes the ball. He had just subbed in, and wanted to make an impact play. So, instead of just tapping it to the guy next to him, pass the ball around, and wait for time to expire, he centers it to the penalty box where Cantona was alone with 3 guys around him.

Defense gets the ball, 1-2 passes and Kostadinov rifles one under the bar, game over. If you look at the clock, it's 89:59 when he scores. Bulgaria went on to have a great WC, so they deserved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMbCxl4hnzA
    i do remember that.

last night felt just like it.

oh well

gotta get ready for Ur-a-gay, i guess

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I remember those two matches Raoul. Didn't you guys have a similar breakdown against Israel again in the 96 qual.?
    Not sure. But it wouldn't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post

ESPN On winning the CONCACAF during an interview with Jozy Altidore

ESPN: Is it safe to say the US has arrived as a world power?
    JOZY: <giggles then pauses> In soccer?

If soccer was as popular here in the US as it is in Europe and elsewhere, we would definitely be a world power. Jozy and Guch are probably the United States' first two players who could have gone pro in other sports. I think a trip passed the quarters in South Africa will sway some of our country's premier athletes in the direction of soccer.

I really, really hope this is the case. It sucks to see how arrogant we are that we are sports obsessed but don't care about being middle of the pack at best in the world's most popular sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjOv0rJYyF8

Honduras qualifies. Honduras radio call for US last minute goal vs Costa Rica.
    I gather they're pretty excited about it.

Might not be as cool to listen to if your name rhymes with Birtstar, but the call was still pretty cool anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjOv0rJYyF8

Honduras qualifies. Honduras radio call for US last minute goal vs Costa Rica.
    I gather they're pretty excited about it.

Might not be as cool to listen to if your name rhymes with Birtstar, but the call was still pretty cool anyway.

Jets Insider VIP
    Draw for Euro Knockout Round.

Second team receives for return match

RUSSIA - SLOVENIA
    IRELAND - FRANCE
    GREECE - UKRAINE
    PORTUGAL - BOSNIA

I was hoping for Slovenia, Ireland is going to be tough.

Practice Squad
    I absolutely did not want to get France

I would have preferred Greece.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by dublinjetsfan View Post
    I absolutely did not want to get France

I would have preferred Greece.
    DJF, what's the breakdown on the Irish side? Strengths, weaknesses..etc?

Besides knowing you guys didn't lose one game in qualifyers and drew twice against Italy, I don't know much.

Believe it or not, this is a winnable game for Ireland.

Practice Squad
    I think our main strength is that our team has a fairly good defence, and a good team morale. Our main weakness is that, although our defence is pretty good, we seem to concede a goal, quite often after just scoring ourselves. It's bizarre! This happened a number of times in the campaign, and most recently a few weeks ago, at home to Italy were we drew 2-2.

I think the two games against France will be close, but I think France will probably go through to the finals.

Jets Insider VIP
    Ribery is OUT for both games with tendinitis in his knee.