Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The not-really-official "How is your country doing in WC Qualifying?" thread

****ing Mexico ****ing beat us yesterday, 2-0

they deserved to win -- controlled the pace of the game and generated most scoring opportunities

but down 1-0 at the end of the first half, Kenton (Costa Rican coach) came out extremely aggressive in the 2nd half, only to get a COMPLETE AND UTTER BULL**** penalty called on us 5 minutes in... Mexico deserved to win, i won't take anything away from them, but the ref made it pretty much impossible for CR to attempt a comeback in the 2nd half, with bull**** call after bull**** call

oh well. up next: El Salvador on Wednesday. i'll be at teh stadium and it better be rockin!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    ****ing Mexico ****ing beat us yesterday, 2-0

they deserved to win -- controlled the pace of the game and generated most scoring opportunities

but down 1-0 at the end of the first half, Kenton (Costa Rican coach) came out extremely aggressive in the 2nd half, only to get a COMPLETE AND UTTER BULL**** penalty called on us 5 minutes in... Mexico deserved to win, i won't take anything away from them, but the ref made it pretty much impossible for CR to attempt a comeback in the 2nd half, with bull**** call after bull**** call

oh well. up next: El Salvador on Wednesday. i'll be at teh stadium and it better be rockin!!!
    Bummer. What are the standings in your group?

We won on the road in Lithuania 1-0 (Ribery). We play them again at home on wednesday. We played relatively well. these type of game are always hard: puny stadium, horrendous field...

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Bummer. What are the standings in your group?

We won on the road in Lithuania 1-0 (Ribery). We play them again at home on wednesday. We played relatively well. these type of game are always hard: puny stadium, horrendous field...
    well, we just started the final leg of CONCACAF qualifying, which is basically a 6x6 tournament.

after 2 games, the standings are:

USA - 4 points
    Costa Rica - 3
    Mexico - 3
    El Salvador - 2
    Trinidad & Tobago - 2
    Honduras - 1

top 3 get automatic bids to the World Cup, the 4th place has to play the 5th in CONMEBOL.

Wooo Trinidad.

Jets Insider VIP
    well, we just started the final leg of CONCACAF qualifying, which is basically a 6x6 tournament.

after 2 games, the standings are:

USA - 4 points
    Costa Rica - 3
    Mexico - 3
    El Salvador - 2
    Trinidad & Tobago - 2
    Honduras - 1

top 3 get automatic bids to the World Cup, the 4th place has to play the 5th in CONMEBOL.
    Finishing 3rd shouldn't be that difficult.

Veteran
    Spain beat us 1-0 saturday night. I thought we played well, at least better than I expected. We deserved to get a point but as usual we lost concentration at a set piece and let the winner in.

It was a good match, when the Spaniards get their passing game going they really are a joy to watch.

Finishing 3rd shouldn't be that difficult.
    well, traditionally, US, Mexico and CR have been the Top 3 teams in CONCACAF, with Mexico and US alternating the #1 spot and CR being very much the 3rd wheel. so yeah, in principle, CR is a leading contender for a top 3 spot.

Honduras has a very talented squad, so they'll be in the fight. they're mentally weak, however, and tend to choke away every good chance they get. Trinidad also has a very solid team, very physical and very fast, but they struggle away from home. they should also be in the fight for the 3rd/4th spot. El Salvador is by far the weakest of the bunch.

Costa Rica HAS to beat El Salvador on Wednesday, and do so convincingly. up until the game in Mexico, we've been undefeated in qualifying, but all it takes is a bad result at home vs. El Salvador for doubt to creep in. gotta win this one

All League
    ARGENTINA ARGENTINA ARGENTINA!!!!!!!

4-0 over Venezuela.

Jets Insider VIP
    well, traditionally, US, Mexico and CR have been the Top 3 teams in CONCACAF, with Mexico and US alternating the #1 spot and CR being very much the 3rd wheel. so yeah, in principle, CR is a leading contender for a top 3 spot.

Honduras has a very talented squad, so they'll be in the fight. they're mentally weak, however, and tend to choke away every good chance they get. Trinidad also has a very solid team, very physical and very fast, but they struggle away from home. they should also be in the fight for the 3rd/4th spot. El Salvador is by far the weakest of the bunch.

Costa Rica HAS to beat El Salvador on Wednesday, and do so convincingly. up until the game in Mexico, we've been undefeated in qualifying, but all it takes is a bad result at home vs. El Salvador for doubt to creep in. gotta win this one
    Got it.

Any Costa Rican players play in Europe I'd know?

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post

4-0 over Venezuela.

we now have an argentinian.

Post more

We gotta get this place...rockin!

we now have an argentinian.

Post more

We gotta get this place...rockin!
    POSSIBLY

Italy vs. Ireland this week. Maybe the micks will be too drunk to show up.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post

4-0 over Venezuela.
    Dude you're an Argentinian with 1500+ posts and this is the first you come in here??? There's something wrong with that picture.

I love this photo of "the Grandson". I wonder if there's anyone that'll be as hyped as this kid will probably be.

What a story this photo would be if he were to become an international for Argentina.

-When did you get your first cap?

- I was 20 days old.

I truly do not give a **** about Australia qualifying for the World Cup. We probably will, but will take up space that should be left for a far more worthy country....

Got it.

Any Costa Rican players play in Europe I'd know?
    we have quite a few, none in the top leagues though. our guys are mostly in Belgium, Norway, Austria, and second divisions in Italy and Germany.

right now, the guy enjoying the most success in Europe is Bryan Ruiz, a 23 year old midfield/forward, he plays for KAA Gent in Belgium. two other Costa Ricans play there, but Ruiz is one of the team's leading scorers and most regular players. he has been rumored to draw interest from a couple of Premier League teams.

also, we have a guy playing in Brescia in Italy's Serie B. his name is Gilberto Martinez, he's a great defender, and actually was lended to Roma last year, but never played due to a lingering injury. he's now healthy again and helping Brescia fight for a spot in Serie A.

historically, the guy who did best in Europe was Paulo Wanchope, Costa Rica's second all-time leading scorer. he played a long time in England with Derby County, Manchester City and West Ham. he also played half a season with Malaga in Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Spain beat us 1-0 saturday night. I thought we played well, at least better than I expected. We deserved to get a point but as usual we lost concentration at a set piece and let the winner in.

It was a good match, when the Spaniards get their passing game going they really are a joy to watch.
    Turk-

I was unable to view the game but it reads as if, I would have been sweating bullets on a few occasions. The Turks were targeting the goal at about the 6 min mark and peppered the goal again, 60 seconds later. That's way too early (for me) to concede goals and then have to mount a comeback? To quote the article..."The victory also extended the European champions' unbeaten run to 30 matches - of which 28 have ended in victory"...
    Now, it's off to Istanbul for round 2 of Spain vs Turkey.
    Is it fairly common for teams to play back to back games?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=236452&cc=3888

England 4 - 0 Slovakia

Was only a friendly but it could and probably should have been more then 4, Slovakia never really turned up but as they say you can only beat whats infront of you. Good performances from a few players Rooney in particular grabbing 2 of the goals. Only bad point was we lost 2 strikers in Heskey and Carlton Cole and both are out for the game on Wednesday.
    Also David Beckham won his 109th cap making him the most capped outfield player ever for us, and with his performance in the 45 minutes he played has to start on Wednesday.

Will be a more difficult game against the Ukraine but we should be to strong for them and if we want to qualify we have to beat teams like them.

Just so long as they take Steven Gerrard off at half time in the next game, and Rooney breaks a leg, I'll be happy.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Dude you're an Argentinian with 1500+ posts and this is the first you come in here??? There's something wrong with that picture.
    If you look back in the old threads about WC '06 and the Copa America, you'll see I've posted several times about Argentina soccer. Before this site was COMPLETELY and stupidly overhauled, I participated in those long-running threads.

I'm not a fan of all these sub-forums and I go talk soccer at futbol sites, I come to JI to talk about JETS football.

Besides, most of the talk in the past has consisted of PaulieC yappin' about Italy (which is a WAY overrated team w/Argentines on the squad), soccer bashers making d!ck posts, and US soccer qualifying; which I find dull b/c their main foes are El Salvador (wack), Guatemala (weak but improved), and Mexico (3rd rate team w/ 1st rate fans and passion).

I'll stop by more often now that qualifiers are on for the '10WC in South Africa.

But I'm always open for talking about Argentina NAtional, Boca Juniors, Carlos Tevez on Man U and EL KUN! on ATL Madrid.

Pero, ya se que hay otros hinchas aqui, participare mas a menudo con uds., boludos. jk.
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 03-30-2009 at 03:41 PM.

All League
    we have quite a few, none in the top leagues though. our guys are mostly in Belgium, Norway, Austria, and second divisions in Italy and Germany.w healthy again and helping Brescia fight for a spot in Serie A.

historically, the guy who did best in Europe was Paulo Wanchope, Costa Rica's second all-time leading scorer. he played a long time in England with Derby County, Manchester City and West Ham. he also played half a season with Malaga in Spain.
    Wanchope is GOOD and actually played in Argentina for Rosario Central back in 2006; but couldn't cut it & didn't even last half the summer tournament.

Interesting formation Maradona started with the other day - three at the back, Gago and Masch in mid, Tevez, Kun and Messi creating terror up front.

Next year could be the year the Argies do it - the talent at their disposal is phenomenal.

All League
    The SAD part is that talent has NEVER been an issue. We've had to turn down players that would easily play on other intl' sqauds (Crespo, Aimar, Lucho, Riquelme, Camoranesi, Bilos, Cambiasso, Solari, Milito, etc.)

I was VERY against the Maradona hiring, but he is trying something different and it seems to work. There just are not enough defenders to stop Carlitos, Messi, and Kun.

Mascherrano is the Paul O'Neil of the squad: Heart and RAGE!

Then you have Gago, Maxi, and FINALLY some size with Jonas Gutierrez.

I also think it's good that he's mixed in some veteran leadership (even though I'm not a fan of El Brujito) by bringing back Zanetti and Veron.

I'm tired of us always playing well and then coming up short with a game or two of the title, whether it be world or continental. But if they gear up like this for '10, MAYBE......JUST MAYBE