Thread: Reflections On The Election

Reflections On The Election

As I doubt few of the frequent contributors to the JI Politics and World Events board have noticed, I refrained from contributing to this partisan and polarized board, especially since I work in a field that has become a crucial issue in this election.

However, looking at the tone of this board from my frequent visits, it appears that it has become a text version of exchanges of talking points, character assassination and pure vitriol. Obviously, everyone is set in their positions and no one is going to convince the other of the merit of their candidate and/ or their positions.

But I am concerned about how our board reflects the situation of politics in the US. We no longer debate positions, we have to destroy the candidate him or herself. Yet, questioning positions themselves invariably lead to charges of, among them, racism or unpatriotic thinking.

I understand that the passions and enthusiasm are high considering the period we are in, but remember that in the end, the ballot box will determine the verdict and that we are all Americans. The next Administration will not be rewarded with total validation of their beliefs and policies, it will be forced to compromise those beliefs both in government and in light of the great challenges that face our times. Either candidate will be inheriting a profound global crisis that will require us to exercise a national sense of purpose that will require building a national consensus- not the imposition of one party over another.

All League
    Bump...

Maybe a sticky through NOV 5?

Or perhaps the First Amendment to the TOS? :D

All League
    [quote=Equilibrium;2808858]As I doubt few of the frequent contributors to the JI Politics and World Events board have noticed, I refrained from contributing to this partisan and polarized board, especially since I work in a field that has become a crucial issue in this election.

However, looking at the tone of this board from my frequent visits, it appears that it has become a text version of exchanges of talking points, character assassination and pure vitriol. Obviously, everyone is set in their positions and no one is going to convince the other of the merit of their candidate and/ or their positions.

But I am concerned about how our board reflects the situation of politics in the US. We no longer debate positions, we have to destroy the candidate him or herself. Yet, questioning positions themselves invariably lead to charges of, among them, racism or unpatriotic thinking.

I understand that the passions and enthusiasm are high considering the period we are in, but remember that in the end, the ballot box will determine the verdict and that we are all Americans. The next Administration will not be rewarded with total validation of their beliefs and policies, it will be forced to compromise those beliefs both in government and in light of the great challenges that face our times. Either candidate will be inheriting a profound global crisis that will require us to exercise a national sense of purpose that will require building a national consensus- not the imposition of one party over another.[/quote]

Go take your racist un-patriotic views elsewhere. ;)

[QUOTE=Equilibrium;2808858] especially since [B]I work in a field that has become a crucial issue in this election.[/B]
    [/QUOTE]

Are you a plumber?
    Last edited by RussianGreen; 10-17-2008 at 07:36 PM.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=RussianGreen;2809183]Are you a plumber?[/QUOTE]

lol... how about a community organizer?

Though there are a few on this board who take it too far, there's still a strong core of intelligent posters. And I've found this place to be a relatively good mix of left and right. But for all the things that have been said about it being shut down, it really is one of the more peaceful political forums out there.

You do say that the next administration will be forced to compromise, but why would they if they have a filibuster-proof majority? There's an article from the WSJ that discusses some of the potential fun things we have to look forward to:

[URL="http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122420205889842989.html?mod=rss_opinion_main"]http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122420205889842989.html?mod=rss_opinion_main[/URL]

Yes, the Democrats would be stupid to completely ignore the Republicans but to think that they won't take advantage of their position is crazy.

I like to think, for the most part, that while we in here DO tend to tear each other rather hard.....we're still friends in the end, despite our differences.

For example, I can debate in a fiery manner with say, Bitonti, Nuu, Piney, LIL, Kennyo and others, and while they may get my passions boiling from time to time, I would never want to silence or ignore their viewpoint. And I consider all friends, and hope they consider me the same. Well, as much of "friends" as folks can be on the interweb, of course.

Generally though, I agree with your premise, that in general, political passion today is as divided as ever, but I think in many ways it's simply our limited understanding/education on history that gives us that opinion....that, and the media/interweb itself making info almost instantanious. When one peruses history, the devides between ourselves in America have always run deep, and run icy icy cold.

So no, I wish we could find more common ground, but I'm not as worried as I once was that it's "as bad as it's ever been". We'll get through this division, as we have all the ones past. I'll just sit in my corner and pray that a Third (or Fourth) Party is what helps us get there.

[QUOTE=RussianGreen;2809183]Are you a plumber?[/QUOTE]

Well played Russian, well played.